Does air resistance have a max value?

In summary, friction on a surface has a maximum value that is dependent on the normal force. When an object is pushed with a force greater than the maximum friction value, it will move. However, when a free-falling object falls from a height, air resistance also has a maximum value which is equal to the weight of the object. This is due to the drag limit being equal to the weight force and the drag coefficient being dependent on the shape and orientation of the object.
r4g3r4hk
I know that friction on a surface has a maximum value. When an object is pushed with a force greater than the maximum friction value, the object will move.
But when a free-falling object falls from a height, does air resistance have a maximum value as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
r4g3r4hk said:
I know that friction on a surface has a maximum value. When an object is pushed with a force greater than the maximum friction value, the object will move.
That's an odd way to view it. Static friction is a function of the normal force. There is no theoretical limit, only practical/materials limits.
But when a free-falling object falls from a height, does air resistance have a maximum value as well?
By constraining the scenario to [atmospheric, I assume] free fall, you are defining the drag limit to be equal to the weight of the object.

Likes Lnewqban and r4g3r4hk
Likes Lnewqban, russ_watters and r4g3r4hk
Thanks for the replies! I believe I understand now.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the collisions of air molecules with the surface of the object.

2. Does air resistance affect all objects equally?

No, air resistance affects objects differently depending on their size, shape, and speed. Objects with larger surface areas and higher speeds experience greater air resistance.

3. Is there a maximum value for air resistance?

Yes, there is a maximum value for air resistance. This value is dependent on the density of the air, the speed and size of the object, and the shape of the object.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of objects?

Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion, slowing down the object. This can cause objects to fall at a slower rate or to travel a shorter distance than they would without air resistance.

5. Can air resistance ever be completely eliminated?

No, air resistance cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by changing the shape or surface of an object, or by reducing its speed.