Does anybody know how student loans work if you go to grad school?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of going to graduate school after completing an undergraduate degree in either applied math or physical chemistry. The person asks about the implications for their undergraduate loans and the importance of their undergraduate school when applying to top graduate programs. The conversation also touches on the possibility of being paid to attend graduate school and the idea of "top" graduate schools in the field of physics.
judowrestler1
I just finished my first year as a math/chem. major and have been toying with the idea of going to grad school right after undergrad to go for a PHD.(Not sure if I want to do applied math or physical chem, yet). My question is though if you go to grad school, will your undergraduate loans be put on hold until you graduate from grad school, or are you responsible for those during that time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your loans will be deferred as long as you're in school, and that includes graduate school. Keep in mind grad schools will pay YOU to attend in the sciences (in return for teaching and/or doing research for them). It doesn't pay a lot, but usually enough to live on without taking out (much) more in loans.

Thanks, how important is your undergrad school when trying to go to grad school?I'm going to a small private university because, I like that atmosphere better than state schools. So, will that bar me from going to a top 20 grad school?(Providing a 4.0 or close GPA?)

judowrestler1 said:
Thanks, how important is your undergrad school when trying to go to grad school?I'm going to a small private university because, I like that atmosphere better than state schools. So, will that bar me from going to a top 20 grad school?(Providing a 4.0 or close GPA?)

No but you'll end up finding out that "top #" doesn't make much sense in regards to physics graduate schools.

judowrestler1 said:

This sort of question gets asked at least twice a month next door in the "Academic Guidance" forum. :smile: You might try browsing through a few months' worth of old threads there.

1. What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate student loans?

Undergraduate student loans are typically used to cover the cost of a bachelor's degree, while graduate student loans are used for post-graduate degrees such as master's or doctoral degrees. The main difference is that graduate student loans usually have higher borrowing limits and interest rates compared to undergraduate loans.

2. Do I have to start paying back my student loans while I am in grad school?

It depends on the type of student loans you have. If you have federal loans, you are not required to make payments while you are enrolled in at least half-time studies. However, if you have private loans, you may be required to make payments while in grad school.

3. How do I apply for student loans for grad school?

To apply for federal student loans, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Private student loans may have their own application process, so it is important to check with individual lenders for their requirements.

4. Can I use student loans to cover all of my expenses while in grad school?

No, student loans are intended to cover the cost of tuition, fees, and living expenses such as housing and food. It is important to budget and use the funds wisely to avoid taking on more debt than necessary.

5. What happens to my student loans if I drop out of grad school?

If you drop out of grad school, you will still be responsible for repaying your student loans. It is important to discuss your options with your lender if you are unable to continue your studies to see if you qualify for deferment or forbearance.