Does anyone have any up to date info on Thesis inclusions?

• Testing
  • Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thesis
In summary: There are basically no UK wide rules for ANYTHING that has to do with the format for a PhD thesis or even the viva; the systems vary quite a lot between universities. That said, the norm is -as far as I am aware- NOT to include any papers at all in a thesis. This is certainly the case for all the UK universities I am familiar with.(this is very different from the system in many other countries where a thesis can in some cases just be a collection of papers with an introduction and in-depth discussion). This is also the reason why a British thesis is generally very long (~70-100 pages) and takes ages to write :H (I am saying this as
rwooduk
Ideally I would like to simply place any papers I have published straight into my PhD thesis with no adjustment. Then add a couple or more chapters, methodology, conclusions, some overview type discussion etc etc

But some of my PhD colleagues seem to think that the system has changed and that this is no longer possible and I would have to re-write all my published papers due to the fact it would be plagiarising my own work !

I keep reading different things, some say its okay, some say not, anyone have any ideas on the present methods of thesis "marking" or does it simply depend on the individual examiner?

Thanks for any advice

(UK PhD student)

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
Ideally I would like to simply place any papers I have published straight into my PhD thesis with no adjustment. Then add a couple or more chapters, methodology, conclusions, some overview type discussion etc etc

But some of my PhD colleagues seem to think that the system has changed and that this is no longer possible and I would have to re-write all my published papers due to the fact it would be plagiarising my own work !

I keep reading different things, some say its okay, some say not, anyone have any ideas on the present methods of thesis "marking" or does it simply depend on the individual examiner?

Thanks for any advice

(UK PhD student)

Why aren't you asking this to your PhD advisor/Supervisor?

Doesn't your school have someone in charge of thesis format and requirement? Rather than rely on hearsay from "PhD colleagues", you must go to the actual source and get the exact language and policy of your school. And I will be surprised if your Advisor does not have the current info on such a thing.

In the end, it is your PhD supervisor that has the FINAL say in anything. So why aren't you asking him/her?

Zz.

Likes rwooduk
ZapperZ said:
Why aren't you asking this to your PhD advisor/Supervisor?

Doesn't your school have someone in charge of thesis format and requirement? Rather than rely on hearsay from "PhD colleagues", you must go to the actual source and get the exact language and policy of your school. And I will be surprised if your Advisor does not have the current info on such a thing.

In the end, it is your PhD supervisor that has the FINAL say in anything. So why aren't you asking him/her?

Zz.

Hmm I thought there may be a general rule across the UK that someone on here may have been aware of, but seeing as it's institution dependant I will surely check with my supervisor, thanks !

rwooduk said:
Hmm I thought there may be a general rule across the UK that someone on here may have been aware of, but seeing as it's institution dependant I will surely check with my supervisor, thanks !

There are basically no UK wide rules for ANYTHING that has to do with the format for a PhD thesis or even the viva; the systems vary quite a lot between universities.
That said, the norm is -as far as I am aware- NOT to include any papers at all in a thesis. This is certainly the case for all the UK universities I am familiar with.
(this is very different from the system in many other countries where a thesis can in some cases just be a collection of papers with an introduction and in-depth discussion).
This is also the reason why a British thesis is generally very long (~70-100 pages) and takes ages to write :H (I am saying this as a someone who supervises students and who has to read all the drafts...)

1. What exactly are "Thesis inclusions"?

Thesis inclusions refer to the additional elements or materials that are included in a thesis paper, such as figures, tables, appendices, or supplementary data.

2. How do I know if my thesis needs inclusions?

Inclusions are usually required if they are directly relevant to the content of your thesis and help to support your arguments or provide additional information. It is best to check with your advisor or the guidelines of your institution to determine if inclusions are necessary.

3. Can I include new information in my inclusions after my thesis has been submitted?

In most cases, it is not recommended to add new information to your inclusions after your thesis has been submitted, as it may affect the integrity and coherence of your paper. However, if the new information is crucial and directly relevant to your thesis, it is best to consult with your advisor before making any changes.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for formatting thesis inclusions?

Each institution may have their own guidelines for formatting thesis inclusions, so it is best to consult with your advisor or refer to the guidelines provided by your institution. Generally, inclusions should be labeled and numbered consecutively, and their placement within the thesis should also be clearly indicated.

5. Are there any resources available for up to date information on thesis inclusions?

Yes, there are many resources available online that provide guidelines and tips for including and formatting inclusions in a thesis paper. You can also consult with your advisor or seek guidance from your institution's library or writing center for additional support.