Does anyone know how to get up and running with PIC microcontrollers

• Thread starter Ian_Brooks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, when choosing a PIC microcontroller for your project, you should consider factors such as processing speed, memory, communication capabilities, availability, cost, and your familiarity with its programming language. PIC microcontrollers are typically programmed using C or assembly language, and it is recommended to have some knowledge of both. To connect a PIC microcontroller to your computer, you will need a programmer or development board with a USB or serial port. Different PIC microcontrollers can use the same programming language, but adjustments may need to be made depending on their specific capabilities. There are also many online resources available for learning about PIC microcontrollers, including tutorials, forums, documentation, books, and online courses.
Ian_Brooks

Homework Statement

I have 6 weeks to master PIC microcontrollers for a design project. Does anyone have any resources that are good for getting a moderately complex project up and running in this time frame?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read through several PIC programming tutorials online such mstracy's website, mikroelectronica's online book on PIC programming with examples and Programming PIC micontrollers with C.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have also watched some video tutorials on YouTube. However, I am still struggling to grasp the concepts and apply them in a practical project. Can anyone suggest some hands-on resources or tips for mastering PIC microcontrollers in a short amount of time?

Related to Does anyone know how to get up and running with PIC microcontrollers

1. How do I choose the right PIC microcontroller for my project?

There are a few factors to consider when choosing a PIC microcontroller. These include your project requirements, such as processing speed, memory, and communication capabilities. You should also consider the availability and cost of the microcontroller, as well as your familiarity with its programming language.

2. What programming language is used for PIC microcontrollers?

PIC microcontrollers are typically programmed using C or assembly language. C is a high-level language that is easier to learn and use, while assembly language provides more control over the microcontroller's functions. It is recommended to have some knowledge of both languages for working with PIC microcontrollers.

3. How do I connect the PIC microcontroller to my computer?

To connect a PIC microcontroller to your computer, you will need a microcontroller programmer or development board that has a USB or serial port. The programmer or board will also typically come with software for programming and communicating with the microcontroller.

4. Can I use the same programming language for different PIC microcontrollers?

Yes, you can use the same programming language for different PIC microcontrollers as long as they are compatible. However, you may need to make some adjustments to your code depending on the specific microcontroller's capabilities and features.

5. Are there any online resources for learning how to work with PIC microcontrollers?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning how to get up and running with PIC microcontrollers. These include tutorials, forums, and documentation from the manufacturer. You can also find books and online courses specifically designed for learning about PIC microcontrollers.