Does cacao powder form another "state of matter"?

In summary: You can shake the bottle and the spheres will jiggle, but they will not fall out.In summary, this forum discussion does not provide any evidence that cacao powder cannot be considered a solid state.
lightarrow
In another forum someone states that "cacao powder" cannot be considered as a "solid state" since "it cannot sustain shear stresses".
Has this statement any basis?

--
lightarrow

Physics news on Phys.org
It can, in a very limited amount. That's not the point, however. It is made out of solid pieces.

lightarrow said:
In another forum someone states that "cacao powder" cannot be considered as a "solid state" since "it cannot sustain shear stresses".

--
lightarrow
Is there a reference to specific experiments?
It seems to me that it's probably just the consequence of insisting on classifying things where it's not appropriate. There are so many examples of substances that don't fall into the standard three or four groups. We've all played with Cornflour (I don't mean Maize Flour but I don't know the US term for it) suspensions and seen Non Newtonian behaviour. Then there are the thixotropic paints. Life's too short, imo.

I would go with sophiecentaur's signature on this one.

Likes higg's bosom
I think it's a bad idea to argue with people across forums.

You can make the same argument, to a lesser degree, about a pile of fine sand. Or coarse sand. Or gravel. These are all solids.

sophiecentaur said:
No, for the moment.
It seems to me that it's probably just the consequence of insisting on classifying things where it's not appropriate.
Sure, I'm asking if there is or not a definition like that (or others) about a "solid substance". If there aren't, the problem is closed, for what concerns me.

--
BlueRay

Thank to all for the answers.

--
lightarrow

sophiecentaur said:
It seems to me that it's probably just the consequence of insisting on classifying things where it's not appropriate. There are so many examples of substances that don't fall into the standard three or four groups. We've all played with Cornflour (I don't mean Maize Flour but I don't know the US term for it) suspensions and seen Non Newtonian behaviour. Then there are the thixotropic paints. Life's too short, imo.
I think you mean cornstarch. :)
Is Cornflour a brand name?

nasu said:
I think you mean cornstarch. :)
Is Cornflour a brand name?
Cornflour is what we have (always) called the white stuff that is the main consituent of Birds Custard and other sauces. It's a generic term in the UK (what it says on the labels). There was not much Maize grown or sold in the UK and 'corn' was only in Cornflakes or Cornflour; mostly wheat flour has been used. I recently made some corn tortillas and had to search hard for cornmeal - even in health food shops. The lack of gluten made them devils to stay together on the pan until cooked. Cracked it though.

lightarrow said:

Powders, emulsions, foams, colloidal dispersions, etc. are sometimes classified as 'soft matter' systems: nonlinear, nonergodic, non-Newtonian, etc. etc.

The idea that solids, liquids and gasses form three distinct phases with huge gaps with no gray areas or fine lines is very middle school. You can buy one micron latex spheres. They come in a bottle, and look like a milky liquid. But each sphere is solid.

1. What is cacao powder?

Cacao powder is a powder made from roasted cacao beans, which are the seeds of the Theobroma cacao tree. It is commonly used in baking and as a flavoring for drinks and desserts.

2. What are the states of matter?

The three most common states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. A solid has a fixed shape and volume, a liquid has a fixed volume but takes the shape of its container, and a gas has neither a fixed shape nor volume.

3. Is cacao powder a solid, liquid, or gas?

Cacao powder is considered a solid because it has a fixed shape and volume. It does not flow like a liquid, nor does it expand to fill its container like a gas.

4. Can cacao powder form another state of matter?

Yes, cacao powder can form another state of matter called plasma. However, this state is only achieved at extremely high temperatures and is not typically seen in everyday situations.

5. How does the state of matter of cacao powder affect its properties?

The state of matter of cacao powder can affect its properties in various ways. For example, a solid cacao powder can be easily measured and stored, while a liquid cacao powder may be easier to mix into recipes. Additionally, the state of matter can affect the melting point and boiling point of cacao powder, which in turn can affect its taste and texture when used in cooking and baking.