Does Chrome Paint Make a Good Mirror?

In summary, the conversation discussed the goal of creating a conical mirror for a robot camera to achieve 360-degree visibility. The idea of using chrome paint was brought up, but it was noted that the smoothness of the surface is more important for reflection rather than the reflectiveness of the paint. A mirror film was suggested as a better alternative, but the difficulty of achieving an even coating and a seam on the edges was mentioned. It was recommended to look into conical reflector hoods used in greenhouses for a wider range of preformed shapes and materials. The angle of light hitting the reflector was also brought up as a factor to consider for optimal image quality.
erickulcyk
So we are trying to make a conical mirror so that our camera can see 360 degrees around a robot. Our budget is not very big, and I found this chrome paint on http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirrachrome.htm
that I thought might work, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Thanks,
Eric

Science news on Phys.org
As I understand it when it concerns something having the ability to "reflect" and image like a mirror does, it has to do with how smooth the surface area is. While metals are generally very reflective due to this, things like glass(crystalline structured) work well for reflecting because they are very relatively smooth on the atomic level. Since light reflection is concerning how photons (atomic sized)are reflected back the smoother surface the better. Notice on your link how even the car painted with the chrome paint slightly distorts the image. This is because (while an image is being reflected back) it is not reflecting the photons back in the same uniform direction they came in when coming in contact with the surface (therefore making the image come back "sloppy"). So I don't think its a question of the reflectiveness of the paint but rather how smooth the surface it is being applied to. Since you are wanting to use it so you can see through a camera I imagine you want the best clarity you can, which may not be obtained when simply relying on the reflectiveness of the paint.
Anyone with a better understanding of the physics behind it please correct me if I was misleading about something.

This will not be very effective as a mirror. Getting an even coating is the biggest problem. I would try a mirror film like here [http://www.specialty-graphics.com/2800_FDC_Metallized_Sign_Vinyl.html] . It's cheap [~ $2 / sq foot] Even if it doesn't work like you hope, you're not out the $80 alsa wants for a 4 oz can of mirrachrome paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are currently using mirror film now, the problem is that it is difficult to get it perfectly flat on the cone and there is a seam where the two edges meet. Together, these create a warped image and a big blind spot.

Eric

Like I said its all about how smooth the surface along with how reflective it is. Its really tricky to get reflective films to have the photographic clarity you are looking for in a camera image, especially when you are bending or wrapping it 360 degrees. You might want to look around for conical reflector hoods made for lighting systems in greenhouses. While you may run into similar problems (as far as it being camera quality reflective) you will find a wide variety of shapes and materials preformed into something that will work for your design.

Also i think I should add about how the angle of where the light is hitting your reflector will greatly affect the image quality through your camera. So if you go with something like a reflective hood (or any other surface/material) you will have to experiment and compensate for the different angles being reflected back, and which ones work best.

1. Does chrome paint actually create a reflective surface like a mirror?

Yes, chrome paint can create a highly reflective surface that can mimic the appearance of a mirror. However, the level of reflectivity may vary depending on the quality of the paint and the application technique.

2. How does chrome paint differ from traditional mirror-making techniques?

Unlike traditional mirror-making techniques which involve using a thin layer of metal, chrome paint contains highly reflective particles that create a mirror-like surface when applied and dried.

3. Can chrome paint be used on any surface to create a mirror?

Chrome paint can be used on a variety of surfaces, including glass, plastic, metal, and wood, to create a mirror-like finish. However, the surface must be smooth and properly prepared for the paint to adhere effectively.

4. Is chrome paint durable enough to be used as a functional mirror?

While chrome paint can create a reflective surface, it may not be as durable as traditional mirrors. It may be prone to scratches and may not have the same level of clarity and reflectivity as a traditional mirror.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using chrome paint to create a mirror?

There are some safety concerns when using chrome paint, as it contains chemicals that can be harmful if inhaled or ingested. It is important to follow safety precautions and use proper protective gear when applying chrome paint.