Why does the two concave mirror illusion looks realistic wh

In summary, the two mirror illusion is created by the reflection of an object coming to each eye from slightly different angles, causing the brain to interpret the two images as one object. This illusion is based on parallax, and is not reproduced by videos that do not rely on stereo vision.
disgruntledbot
while a simple concave mirror projection does not?Hi,
I'm really not sure where does this question go, but perhaps this is as good a place as any...
If not, then I would appreciate a referring to the right place.

So, I have encountered this nifty, decades old, illusion created by combining two concave mirrors : http://dev.physicslab.org/Document.aspx?doctype=3&filename=GeometricOptics_RealImages.xml

I understand how it works and I kinda assumed that all mirrors which have a certain focal point would act similarly so their image projection would look like the object is actually there.
I have googled a bit (youtubed actually ) and have encountered some videos on the matter:

None comes even close to the quality of said illusion, and I wonder why is that?
Same goes for those experiments with a lens (a long metallic rack in which you move a needle closer and farther from a focusing lens).

In theory it should all work, but...Thank you very much!

Science news on Phys.org
The key to the two mirror illusion you linked to is the parallax caused by your two eyes. The double concave mirrors result in the reflection of the object coming to each eye from slightly different angles (i.e. parallax). This causes your brain to interpret the two images as one object, and at the smae time it interprets it as being closer than it should.

The other videos have nothing to do with this particular geometry trick. They do not rely on the parallax of stereo vision.

A more detailed explanation might be helpful, but that is the gist of it.

Likes disgruntledbot
DaveC426913 said:
The key to the two mirror illusion you linked to is the parallax caused by your two eyes.
The image that you see, with two eyes or with one eye, actually forms in front of the mirror. It is a real image, in that light actually passes through a real point in space and appears to come from that point. A plane mirror image is formed behind the mirror and is virtual because there is no point through wihch the rays actually pass. Your eyes cannot tell the difference between the two images without some extra information (i.e. moving your head away from the region where the illusion works). Binocular vision or moving a single eye from side to side will both tell you that the image is out there in front of the mirror.
This thread discusses a really impressive form of image projection (star-wars style) which, it was concluded, must be based on the similar use of a concave mirror. The guy who demos it has clearly practiced a lot.

Likes disgruntledbot
I know it has been some time, I just got really busy and 2 months later I simply forgot.
Anyway, I just encountered this thread in my 'favourites' and I used to mind a little when people just disapeared on me if I helped them without saying thanks (I'm more understanding now :P) -so, thank you.

1. Why does the two concave mirror illusion look realistic?

The two concave mirror illusion appears realistic due to the principle of reflection. When light hits a concave mirror, it reflects off the curved surface and converges at a focal point. The illusion creates the appearance of depth and distance, making it seem like there are two mirrors instead of one.

2. How does the illusion work?

The illusion works by using two concave mirrors placed facing each other at a certain angle. The light reflecting off one mirror is then reflected off the other mirror, creating the appearance of a never-ending reflection. This gives the illusion of depth and distance, making it seem like there are multiple mirrors instead of just two.

3. Can this illusion be created with any type of mirror?

No, this illusion can only be created with concave mirrors. Convex mirrors, on the other hand, would not work as they diverge light and do not have a focal point. Flat mirrors also would not work as they do not reflect light in the same way as concave mirrors.

4. Why is it called an illusion?

The two concave mirror illusion is called an illusion because it creates a false or deceptive perception of reality. The mirrors are arranged in a way that tricks our brains into thinking there are more mirrors than there actually are, creating the illusion of depth and distance.

5. How is this illusion useful in science?

This illusion is useful in science for studying the principles of reflection and optics. It can also be used in experiments to demonstrate how our brains interpret visual information and how illusions can deceive our perception of reality. Additionally, it can be used as a teaching tool to help students understand concepts such as focal points and the properties of concave mirrors.