Does coffee help your scientific learning?

In summary, coffee is good for waking you up in the morning, but can make you jittery and unable to focus. It can also provide antioxidants. Alternate study habits such as going to a coffee shop and using noise-impeding earbuds are better options for those who need to speed up their studying.
cdux
I haven't been drinking coffee for a couple of years due to avoiding any substance that alters psychology significantly.

But now I'd like to accelerate studying for a while. Will coffee help me?

And what are the best practices about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a coffee drinker, but I do not recommend getting started. I've been slowly weening myself off for a week now cutting back. What coffee will do is make you jittery, then make you feel slow the days you don't have it or have less.

I don't think it'll "accelerate" anything. If anything it might make you too unable to focus on one thing to be of any help, and actually be detrimental. Though it WILL wake you up in the morning, so will 50 pushups and a cold shower.

I'd recommend alternate study habits if you need to speed things up. I go to a coffee shop, put in some noise-impeding earbuds and work/study. (I don't actually listen to anything). Basically it removes the temptation to procrastinate by allowing me an environment where the internet is too slow for fun and all I can do is study, and removes noisy distractions by accidentally overhearing other peoples conservations.

Hepth said:
I'm a coffee drinker, but I do not recommend getting started. I've been slowly weening myself off for a week now cutting back. What coffee will do is make you jittery, then make you feel slow the days you don't have it or have less.

I don't think it'll "accelerate" anything. If anything it might make you too unable to focus on one thing to be of any help, and actually be detrimental. Though it WILL wake you up in the morning, so will 50 pushups and a cold shower.

I'd recommend alternate study habits if you need to speed things up. I go to a coffee shop, put in some noise-impeding earbuds and work/study. (I don't actually listen to anything). Basically it removes the temptation to procrastinate by allowing me an environment where the internet is too slow for fun and all I can do is study, and removes noisy distractions by accidentally overhearing other peoples conservations.

Yeah but how do you know you aren't already "accelerated" :biggrin:

cdux said:
I haven't been drinking coffee for a couple of years due to avoiding any substance that alters psychology significantly.

But now I'd like to accelerate studying for a while. Will coffee help me?

And what are the best practices about it?

I don't think it will accelerate any thing but it will probably increase the time you spend studying.
As for me I use coffee with green tea it takes off the edge and jitteriness associated with it. The ideal ratio of Tea and coffee differs from person to person, though most people recommend 2 cups of tea per one cup coffee; I have found that one is enough for Me.
Oh and it also provides a lot of antioxidants.

Last edited:
Interesting coffee facts:
European travellers to the Near East brought back stories of the unusual dark black beverage. By the 17th century, coffee had made its way to Europe and was becoming popular across the continent. Opponents were overly cautious, calling the beverage the 'bitter invention of Satan.' With the coming of coffee to Venice in 1615, the local clergy condemned it. The controversy was so great that Pope Clement VIII was asked to intervene. Before making a decision however, he decided to taste the beverage for himself. He found the drink so satisfying that he gave it Papal approval.

Despite such controversy, in the major cities of England, Austria, France, Germany and Holland, coffee houses were quickly becoming centers of social activity and communication. In England 'penny universities' sprang up, so called because for the price of a penny one could purchase a cup of coffee and engage in stimulating conversation. By the mid-17th century, there were over 300 coffee houses in London, many of which attracted patrons with common interests, such as merchants, shippers, brokers and artists.

http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=68

please do not observe coffee machine.
it will change quantum states.

I used to basically drink coffee all day long. It helped me in the days before I started college, because I was working for a tree service for a few years doing labor, and mostly running a bucket truck. It helped give me a boost then, and kept me going through the day. I've cut back on it a lot over the last year and a half or so though. I still have a couple cups every morning when I wake up, but I don't let myself drink it through the day anymore unless I'm excessively tired.

1. Does drinking coffee improve cognitive function?

There is some evidence that caffeine, the active ingredient in coffee, can improve cognitive function, including memory, attention, and alertness. However, the effects may vary depending on individual factors and the amount of caffeine consumed.

2. How much coffee should I drink to see an improvement in my scientific learning?

The optimal amount of coffee for cognitive function is not yet clear. Some studies suggest that a moderate amount of caffeine, around 200-400mg, may provide the most benefits. However, it is important to note that too much caffeine can have negative effects on sleep and overall health.

3. Does the type of coffee matter?

The type of coffee can make a difference in its effects on cognitive function. For example, espresso drinks may have a higher concentration of caffeine than drip coffee. Additionally, the quality and freshness of the coffee beans can also impact its effectiveness.

4. How long does the cognitive boost from coffee last?

The effects of caffeine can vary from person to person, but typically the cognitive effects can last for a few hours. However, the half-life of caffeine, or the time it takes for the body to eliminate half of the caffeine, is about 5-6 hours. This means that the effects may last longer in some people.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of drinking coffee for scientific learning?

While caffeine can have positive effects on cognitive function, it is important to be mindful of potential negative effects such as anxiety, jitters, and disrupted sleep. It is also important to note that caffeine is a stimulant and can be addictive, so it is best to consume in moderation and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.