Does DC or AC work best for charging most industrial batteries?

In summary: Industrial rechargeable batteries can be charged inefficiently by using alternating current. The optimal charging current depends on the battery chemistry. Normal AC is the best charging current for industrial rechargeable batteries.
narayan821
TL;DR Summary
I have a source of electricity that's alternating but at variable frequencies. So an asynchronous alternating current of sorts if you will. Can industrial rechargeable batteries be charged like this efficiently? Or would DC current work best? Or normal AC?
I have a source of electricity that's alternating but at variable frequencies. So an asynchronous alternating current of sorts if you will. Can industrial rechargeable batteries be charged like this efficiently? Or would DC current work best? Or normal AC?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Batteries are DC devices. They are charged with DC voltages and currents, but the characteristics and levels of the charging voltages and currents depend on the battery chemistry. What chemistry are these batteries? How have they been recharged in the past?

EDIT/ADD -- Check this website out for much more information on batteries...

https://batteryuniversity.com/

Likes DaveE
Batteries require a circuit to control their charging. Some types can have simple circuits, some quite complex. The output of the charging circuit depends on the battery type, and application. The charging circuit requires power to operate, so the input to the charger is determined by what kind of power source the charger was designed for.

Your question equates the battery type to the power source. It doesn't work that way. You will select a charger that can accept the power source you have available and can supply the proper charging current to the battery type you have.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and berkeman
narayan821 said:
I have a source of electricity that's alternating but at variable frequencies. So an asynchronous alternating current of sorts if you will.
It has become very easy now to convert any source of electrical energy into a DC supply.
It may be that extracting some energy will reduce the efficiency of some other part of a dynamic system. What is the energy source you are thinking of harvesting?

narayan821 said:
I have a source of electricity that's alternating but at variable frequencies. So an asynchronous alternating current of sorts if you will. Can industrial rechargeable batteries be charged like this efficiently?
You will need a charger anyway.
These days the first part of the circuit of the chargers are about converting the incoming 'whatever' into DC.
This circuit should be able to deal with DC and some not too high frequency AC too, not just with the usual 50/60Hz.

Variable frequency, you say? Is it some wind or water related thing?
Then your problem is not just about charging, but about maintaining the optimal operating point//getting the maximal available power out of the device.
In such case - honestly, it's just better to get a charger which is built for this. That's not just 'should be able to deal with' but it'll be in the rated range and you'll get a paper about it.

1. Does DC or AC charging work best for industrial batteries?

There is no clear answer to this question as it depends on the type of industrial battery and its specific charging requirements. Some batteries may be better suited for DC charging, while others may perform better with AC charging. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for the specific battery being used.

2. What are the advantages of using DC charging for industrial batteries?

DC charging can provide a more efficient and faster charging process for certain types of industrial batteries. It also allows for more precise control over the charging process, which can help extend the battery's lifespan.

3. Are there any disadvantages to using AC charging for industrial batteries?

One potential disadvantage of AC charging is that it may result in a longer charging time compared to DC charging. Additionally, AC charging may not be suitable for all types of industrial batteries, so it is important to check the manufacturer's guidelines.

4. Can I use both DC and AC charging for industrial batteries?

In some cases, it may be possible to use both DC and AC charging for industrial batteries. This is known as hybrid charging and can provide the benefits of both charging methods. However, it is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines to ensure that the battery can handle this type of charging.

5. How do I determine which charging method is best for my industrial battery?

The best way to determine the optimal charging method for your industrial battery is to consult the manufacturer's guidelines. They will provide specific recommendations based on the type and specifications of the battery. It is also important to consider the battery's age and condition when making this determination.