Does dividing maximum frequency by sound frequency give accurate velocity?

In summary: Taylor series for cosine becomes accurate for large values of v when approximated by a geometric series.It seems that Walter Lewin may have derived his equation from the Taylor series for cosine.He uses a Taylor series to approximate a function near a point. Taylor (Maclaurin) series for |x|<1(1-x)-1=1+x+x2+x3+…
Chenkel
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to understand how to derive velocity of transmitter when transmitter is rotating in a circle.
Hello everyone!

I'm watching a Walter Lewin lecture and it seems to me at least that he is dividing maximum frequency of the sound by sound frequency of the transmitter to derive velocity of the transmitter, does this work? It seems that quantity would be dimensionless and velocity obviously has dimensions.

The part of the video I'm referring to is 4:50, this link requires that you queue it up, and I link the video below...

Let me know what you guys think, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the velocity should be normalized by the sound speed.

Likes Chenkel
caz said:
I think the velocity should be normalized by the sound speed.
Do you think Walter Lewin may have forgot to do that?

He was trying to motivate things and was not being rigorous.

Likes Chenkel
caz said:
He was trying to motivate things and was not being rigorous.
Do you know what the proper equation is?

Assuming that the velocity is small compared to the sound speed and that you are far away from the circle, f’/f=1+v/c
He is more rigorous in this lecture

which uses a more general equation

You should try to derive my equation from the video equation.

Last edited:
Likes Chenkel
caz said:
Assuming that the velocity is small compared to the sound speed and that you are far away from the circle, f’/f=1+v/c
He is more rigorous in this lecture

which uses a more general equation

You should try to derive my equation from the video equation.

Thank you for the response, I will take a look at the video!

I notice in the video that I linked he talks about the situation where ##v\cos\theta## is the component of velocity of the source in direction of the observer, and he writes ##f' = f(1 + \frac v c \cos\theta)##, which I understand, frequency increases when it's coming toward you, and decreases when it's going away, he then writes ##f' = \frac c{\lambda'}## and ##f = \frac c \lambda## which also seems to make sense, because f is a function of signal speed and wavelength. The part I don't understand is how he uses this, and the "Taylor Series" to show the following, he writes ##\lambda' = \lambda(1-\frac v c \cos \theta)##, how does this minus sign come into play? He says it works when ##\frac v c## to be much less than 1, but I don't see how this works.. I solved for the equation and I came up with ##\lambda' = \lambda(1+\frac v c \cos\theta)## why isn't this correct?

Let me know what you think, thank you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why my equations are not rendering... Anyone else getting this?

Chenkel said:
I'm not sure why my equations are not rendering... Anyone else getting this?
Seems equations are rendering correctly for me now, strange, seems latex only intermittently works.

f’=f(1+vcosθ/c)becomes λ=λ’(1+vcosθ/c) by substitution
λ‘=λ/(1+vcosθ/c) by rearrangement
λ‘=λ(1-vcosθ/c) by Taylor expansion

Likes Chenkel
Chenkel said:
Seems equations are rendering correctly for me now, strange, seems latex only intermittently works.
It's a known bug - if there isn't already LaTeX on the page then new LaTeX doesn't render. You can refresh the page and it should appear. If you want to preview your LaTeX and it isn't rendering, copy your post to clipboard (just in case), go into preview mode, then refresh the page. The MathJax extension should have loaded and you should now be able to preview LaTeX.

Likes Chenkel
caz said:
f’=f(1+vcosθ/c)becomes λ=λ’(1+vcosθ/c) by substitution
λ‘=λ/(1+vcosθ/c) by rearrangement
λ‘=λ(1-vcosθ/c) by Taylor expansion
I read about the Taylor series today while being quite new to it, and it seems it's a approximation for a function near a certain point, and exact when an infinite number of terms are taken. I found this series for cosine, and lost all cosine terms to form something that looks a little like a geometric series (I'm not sure if it is or not.) I wonder what Walter Lewin did with the Taylor series to get the result he got.

Taylor (Maclaurin) series for |x|<1
(1-x)-1=1+x+x2+x3+…
You should learn about this in calculus

Likes Chenkel
Chenkel said:
I notice in the video that I linked he talks about the situation where ##v\cos\theta## is the component of velocity of the source in direction of the observer, and he writes ##f' = f(1 + \frac v c \cos\theta)##, which I understand, frequency increases when it's coming toward you, and decreases when it's going away, he then writes ##f' = \frac c{\lambda'}## and ##f = \frac c \lambda## which also seems to make sense, because f is a function of signal speed and wavelength. The part I don't understand is how he uses this, and the "Taylor Series" to show the following, he writes ##\lambda' = \lambda(1-\frac v c \cos \theta)##, how does this minus sign come into play? He says it works when ##\frac v c## to be much less than 1, but I don't see how this works.. I solved for the equation and I came up with ##\lambda' = \lambda(1+\frac v c \cos\theta)## why isn't this correct?

Let me know what you think, thank you.
I should have wrote ##\lambda' =\frac \lambda {(1+\frac v c \cos \theta)}##

caz said:
Taylor (Maclaurin) series for |x|<1
(1-x)-1=1+x+x2+x3+…
You should learn about this in calculus
For a=0 and n=1 I got ##\frac 1{(1 + x)} \approx (1 - x)## I wonder how good of an approximation this for ##|x| < 1##, as x gets close to minus one, the series approximates a very large function. I looked up the "Lagrange error bound," and it seems to be a little difficult to make sense of the error bounds for this function. Is there any easy way to determine how accurate this approximation is?

Thank you!

It’s a horrible approximation (edit: near -1). You can calculate the original function, so determining the error is trivial.

Last edited:
Likes Chenkel
caz said:
It’s a horrible approximation. You can calculate the original function, so determining the error is trivial.
I calculated the error based on your suggestion by writing the remainder and dividing by the original function ##r = \frac 1{1+x}-(1-x) = \frac {x^2}{1+x}## then the error is ##e = {\frac {x^2}{1+x}} {\frac {1 + x} 1} = x^2## so the error increases exponentially, one thing to note is that for fractional values of x it gives fairly good approximation, for example, if we let x=.1 the error is only 1 percent.

Thanks again 🙏

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a relative motion between a source of sound or light and an observer. This results in a perceived change in the frequency of the waves, which is heard as a change in pitch or seen as a change in color.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect frequency?

The Doppler effect affects frequency by causing a shift in the perceived frequency of a wave. When the source and observer are moving towards each other, the frequency appears higher, and when they are moving away from each other, the frequency appears lower.

3. What are some real-life examples of the Doppler effect?

Some common examples of the Doppler effect include the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance or police car passes by, the change in pitch of a train whistle as it approaches and then moves away, and the redshift and blueshift observed in the light from distant galaxies.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in science and technology?

The Doppler effect is used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in radar and sonar systems to detect the speed and direction of moving objects, in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound to measure blood flow, and in astronomy to study the movement and properties of celestial objects.

5. What is the difference between the Doppler effect and the Doppler shift?

The terms Doppler effect and Doppler shift are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between them. The Doppler effect refers to the perceived change in frequency of a wave due to relative motion, while the Doppler shift refers to the actual change in frequency of the wave. In other words, the Doppler effect is the phenomenon, and the Doppler shift is the measurement of that effect.