Does Dropping Help the Monkey Escape the Bullet?

In summary, motion in a plane is the movement of an object along a two-dimensional surface, involving both horizontal and vertical components. It differs from motion in a straight line, which only involves movement along one axis. The two types of motion in a plane are linear and projectile motion, with the latter being affected by gravity. Understanding motion in a plane is important in various fields and is described mathematically using vectors and equations such as position, velocity, acceleration, and force.
Lockinvar

Homework Statement

A hunter aims his gun directly at a monkey hanging from a high tree branch some distance away. At the instant the gun is shot the monkey drops from the branch, hoping to avoid the bullet. Show analytically, using variables, that the monkey made the wrong move.

Homework Equations

Linear motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt wasent much, i have no clue where to start with it. I wrote out a list of variables of what i got out of the equation

GUN
vertical Horizontal
V1 = 0m/s V1 = 0
V2 = V2 =
a = -9.8m/s^2 a =
t = T t = T
d = Dgv d = Dgh

Monkey
V1 = 0
V2 =
a = -9.8m/s^2
t = T
d = Dm

So i figured that time was the same for all the lists, but this is absically how faar i got, i have Dm = 4.9T^2 and that's about it. I don't know where to go from here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
what are the x and y positions of the bullet and the monkey as a function of t.

the bullet starts at B_x(0) = 0 and B_y(0) = 0
the monkey starts at M_x(0) = d and M_y(1) = h. d is distance of tree, h = height of branch

If you don't know something, such as the initial speed of the bullet, just introduce a variable and later show that is true for all values of that variable.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Lockinvar ! Welcome to PF! :wink:

How long does the bullet takes to reach the tree?

And how high up are the bullet and the monkey at that time?

Show us what you get. :smile:

Related to Does Dropping Help the Monkey Escape the Bullet?

What is motion in a plane?

Motion in a plane is the movement of an object along a two-dimensional surface, such as a flat table or a piece of paper. It involves both the horizontal and vertical components of motion.

What is the difference between motion in a plane and motion in a straight line?

Motion in a plane involves movement along both the horizontal and vertical axes, while motion in a straight line only involves movement along one axis.

What are the two types of motion in a plane?

The two types of motion in a plane are linear motion and projectile motion. Linear motion occurs when an object moves in a straight line, while projectile motion involves objects moving through the air and following a curved path due to the effects of gravity.

What is the importance of understanding motion in a plane?

Understanding motion in a plane is crucial in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and aviation. It allows us to accurately predict and control the movement of objects in two-dimensional space.

How is motion in a plane described mathematically?

Motion in a plane is described using vectors, which include magnitude (size) and direction. The equations used to describe motion in a plane include position, velocity, acceleration, and force.