Does Electricity Need a Complete Circuit? Exploring Basic Physics Questions

A_Physics_Dummy
How did you find PF?
Via google search
Hi Folks.

I've been retired for a decade.

Waaaaay back in time (1980) I got an engineering degree; in other words, in the mid-70s I took three freshman physics courses: Laws of Motion; Electromagnetics; Relativity/Quantum Mechanics. I doubt that I remember anything at all from these classes, since I used little of it during my working career.

My motivation in seeking out and finding this forum was to re-educate myself about electro-magnetics by looking into the question: Does electrical flow require a complete circuit?

For the past many decades, I had assumed that the answer to the above question is No, but when doing internet search on the topic I find explanations regarding how various phenomena such as lightning (allegedly) comprise a complete E-M circuit.

So, this is my 'thing' this month, pretending that I still have a brain and can explore interesting, although extremely basic questions in physics.

I'm grateful to those of you who provide the forum and those of you who contribute with responses and answers to questions and discussions.

G.T.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Without a circuit, electrons can still move, but the result is a charge buildup.
That charge build up pushes back on further electron flow (like charges repel).

Likes A_Physics_Dummy
Welcome to the forum. You should post a question in the appropriate sub-forum, since this is just the intro area and is not for questions.

.Scott said:
Without a circuit, electrons can still move, but the result is a charge buildup.
Or a discharge.

A_Physics_Dummy said:
Does electrical flow require a complete circuit?
A potential charge difference will cause charges to move to balance the charge if they can. That will take a very short time before the difference is balanced again.

The way to keep the charges moving is to close the circuit so they are continually being dumped in at one end and taken up at the other.

I am a layperson as well, so my descriptions are clumsy.

Likes A_Physics_Dummy and .Scott
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Likes A_Physics_Dummy
.Scott said:
That charge build up pushes back on further electron flow (like charges repel).
Thanks Scott!

DaveC426913 said:
Or a discharge.A potential charge difference will cause charges to move to balance the charge if they can. That will take a very short time before the difference is balanced again.

The way to keep the charges moving is to close the circuit so they are continually being dumped in at one end and taken up at the other.

I am a layperson as well, so my descriptions are clumsy.
DaveC, that's a great explanation. Thanks!

1. What is a complete circuit?

A complete circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It includes a power source, such as a battery, wires to conduct the electricity, and a load, such as a light bulb, that uses the electricity.

2. Why does electricity need a complete circuit?

Electricity needs a complete circuit in order to flow from the power source to the load. Without a complete circuit, the electricity cannot flow and the load will not receive any power.

3. What happens if there is a break in the circuit?

If there is a break in the circuit, the flow of electricity will be interrupted and the load will not receive any power. This could be caused by a disconnected wire, a broken component, or an open switch.

4. How does a switch affect a circuit?

A switch is used to open or close a circuit. When a switch is open, it breaks the circuit and stops the flow of electricity. When a switch is closed, it completes the circuit and allows the electricity to flow to the load.

5. Can electricity flow in a circuit without a power source?

No, electricity needs a power source to flow through a circuit. Without a power source, there is no source of energy to push the electrons through the wires and the circuit will not be complete.