Does element x present a linear resistance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linear resistance and whether it is appropriate in this situation. The measurements provided have a limited number of significant figures, but when rounded, they all show a constant resistance of 4.70 Ω. The speaker suggests graphing the data in a spreadsheet for a better understanding of resistance.
Purpleshinyrock
Homework Statement
Consider the element X represented in the figure, for which
know the voltage and current values indicated in the following table:
Relevant Equations
V=RI, R=V/I
ANSWER: element x does not present a linear resistance because it isn't constant as i and v increases.

Screenshot 2021-11-07 at 18-09-20 Microsoft Word - IC_EX_CAP1 - Exer_Cap1 pdf.png
Is my answer correct?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
It's close, but one of the readings is a bit off (to the 3 significant figures shown in the measurements). To be sure, it would be nice if they specified an accuracy for those measurements, IMO. It looks like the one flier measurement is only off by about 0.4%...

Likes Purpleshinyrock
Perhaps you could show us your calculations of resistance at these various points? I find it easiest to graph these in a spreadsheet, myself. This will help us see if you are understanding the concept of resistance better than a simple yes/no response.

Likes Steve4Physics, phinds and Purpleshinyrock
The term ‘linear resistance’ doesn’t seem appropriate. Is this a translation from another language or maybe part of a longer question? Maybe ‘constant resistance’ is what is intended.

The data supplied are given to only 2 or 3 significant figures. Rounding according to the usual convention gives:
R = 1.18/0.25 = 4.72Ω which rounded to 2 sig. figs. gives 4.7Ω
R = 2.35/0.50 = 4.70Ω which rounded to 2 sig. figs. gives 4.7 Ω
R = 5.88/1.25 – 4.704Ω which rounded to 3 sig. figs. gives 4.70 Ω
R = 9.40/2.00 = 4.70Ω which rounded to 3 sig. figs. gives 4.70 Ω

So my answer would be that: within the limits of the measurement-uncertainties, the resistance is constant.

Likes phinds and Purpleshinyrock

1. What is linear resistance?

Linear resistance is the measure of how easily an electrical current can flow through a material. It is a property of a material that describes how much the material resists the flow of electricity. In a linear resistance, the current is directly proportional to the voltage applied.

2. How is linear resistance different from non-linear resistance?

Linear resistance is characterized by a constant resistance value, while non-linear resistance changes with the applied voltage. In other words, the resistance of a linear element remains the same regardless of the voltage, whereas the resistance of a non-linear element changes depending on the voltage.

3. Can an element have both linear and non-linear resistance?

Yes, an element can have both linear and non-linear resistance. This is known as a non-linear element with a linear region. In this case, the element behaves like a linear resistor within a certain range of voltage, but its resistance becomes non-linear outside of that range.

4. How is linear resistance measured?

Linear resistance is typically measured using a multimeter or an ohmmeter. The device applies a known voltage to the element and measures the resulting current. The resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's law (R = V/I).

5. What factors affect the linear resistance of an element?

The linear resistance of an element can be affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Generally, longer and thinner elements have higher resistance, while wider and shorter elements have lower resistance. Temperature can also affect resistance, with most materials having a higher resistance at higher temperatures.