Does gravity affect Brownian Motion?

In summary, the diffusion rates on the International Space Station are different than on Earth, and this has an impact on the random walk of pollen particles.
dedocta
TL;DR Summary
Brownian motion of free falling ISS vs Brownian Motion on Earth
I know passive diffusion rates behave differently on the International Space Station relative to Earth (video of a contained flame experiment burning up there.) However, does the random walk of pollen particles etc. have slowed velocity in comparison to that on Earth? Has been bugging me for a while, as I was wondering how our biology deals with slower Brownian mtion if so...

Physics news on Phys.org
Chandrasekhar wrote an excellent paper on Stochastic Problems in Physics and Astronomy in 1943. You can find his paper in N. Wax's Book in Dover, "Selected Papers..." To make a long story short, in an early chapter, Chandrasekar demonstrates the exponential atmpsphere is the steady state solution for a falling particle with viscous damping rebounding from a fixed surface (the ground). The nice feature of the paper is that it also demonstrates the transient (i.e. time dependent) solution showing how the equilibrium solution is approached. Wax's book has many good papers along these lines.

dedocta said:
Summary:: Brownian motion of free falling ISS vs Brownian Motion on Earth

video of a contained flame experiment burning up there.
That has less to do with diffusion differences and more to do with the fact that convection operates differently in microgravity. Basically, hot air rises in a gravitational field because it is less dense than cold air. In microgravity, this buoyant force doesn’t exist or is much smaller, so that the hot carbon dioxide generated by a flame does not rise away from the flame to make way for fresh air to sustain the reaction.
dedocta said:
Summary:: Brownian motion of free falling ISS vs Brownian Motion on Earth

However, does the random walk of pollen particles etc. have slowed velocity in comparison to that on Earth? Has been bugging me for a while, as I was wondering how our biology deals with slower Brownian mtion if so...
You can model this straightforwardly by adding a gravity term to the Langevin equation
$$\dot{\mathbf{v}}=-\gamma\mathbf{v}+\sigma\mathbf{\xi}(t)-\mathbf{g}$$
Gravity will pull denser particles in the direction of the gravitational source, but if the noise term is large (at higher T, for instance), or the drag term is large (at higher density, for instance), then gravity will become irrelevant.

Likes vanhees71
update on my earlier post. N.B. the page 57 of the Chadrasekhar paper concerning gravity effects on Brownian motio

1. Does gravity affect Brownian Motion?

Yes, gravity does affect Brownian Motion. Brownian Motion is the random movement of particles in a fluid due to collisions with other particles. Gravity is one of the forces that can influence the movement of particles in a fluid, along with other factors such as temperature and pressure.

2. How does gravity affect Brownian Motion?

Gravity affects Brownian Motion by pulling particles towards the bottom of the fluid, causing them to move in a downward direction. This can result in a slightly higher concentration of particles at the bottom of the fluid compared to the top, as gravity is constantly pulling them down.

3. Can gravity be ignored in Brownian Motion experiments?

No, gravity cannot be ignored in Brownian Motion experiments. Even though the effects of gravity may be small, they can still impact the movement of particles and affect the results of the experiment. In order to accurately study Brownian Motion, the influence of gravity must be taken into account.

4. Does the strength of gravity affect Brownian Motion?

Yes, the strength of gravity can affect Brownian Motion. The stronger the force of gravity, the greater the impact it will have on the movement of particles in a fluid. This means that Brownian Motion may behave differently in environments with different levels of gravity, such as on Earth compared to in space.

5. Can Brownian Motion occur without the presence of gravity?

Yes, Brownian Motion can occur without the presence of gravity. In fact, Brownian Motion was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827 in pollen grains suspended in water, which were not affected by gravity. However, in most cases, gravity will play a role in Brownian Motion due to its presence on Earth and other planets.