Does Heating a Pop Can Increase Internal Pressure?

In summary, the question is whether there will be more pressure inside or outside a pop can with the tab removed if it is heated up. The answer is that there will be more pressure outside due to the cooler temperature in the room causing the pressure to escape from the can. However, if the temperature inside the can rises faster than the temperature outside, the air will flow from outside to inside, since the can is open and air outside and inside start at equilibrium.
p.ella
Say there's a pop can with the tab already removed. If the can was heated up, would there be more pressure inside or outside the can? Please explain thoroughly and with a lot of detail.

My attempt: I'm guessing there will be more pressure outside but not sure why? I'm guessing b/c the temperature in the room is cooler and the pressure escapes from the can, please explain not really sure
Please help asap, need it for homework (8

Physics news on Phys.org
p.ella said:
Say there's a pop can with the tab already removed. If the can was heated up, would there be more pressure inside or outside the can? Please explain thoroughly and with a lot of detail.

My attempt: I'm guessing there will be more pressure outside but not sure why? I'm guessing b/c the temperature in the room is cooler and the pressure escapes from the can, please explain not really sure
Please help asap, need it for homework (8
If the pressure outside is greater than the pressure inside, wouldn't air flow from outside to inside, since the can is open ?

Air outside and inside start at equilibrium.
Can gets heated up.
How fast does the temperature of the air volume inside of the can rise?
How fast does the temperature of the air volume outside of the can rise?

If one rises faster than the other, what happens to the air? Which way does it flow?

Related to Does Heating a Pop Can Increase Internal Pressure?

1. Why does the air pressure inside a pop can increase when heated?

When a pop can is heated, the air molecules inside the can gain energy and move around faster. As a result, they collide more frequently with the walls of the can, creating a higher pressure.

2. How does the change in air pressure affect the pop can?

The increased air pressure inside the can puts more force on the walls of the can, causing it to expand slightly. This is why heated pop cans often look slightly bloated or distorted.

3. Is there a limit to how much the air pressure inside a pop can can increase?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the air pressure inside a pop can can increase. If the can is heated too much, the pressure will become too great and the can will burst or explode.

4. Why does adding water to a heated pop can cause it to implode?

When water is added to a heated pop can, it cools down the air inside the can, causing the air molecules to lose energy and move around less. This results in a decrease in air pressure inside the can, causing the external air pressure to crush the can inwards.

5. Can air pressure inside a pop can be used for a practical purpose?

Yes, the air pressure inside a pop can can be used for practical purposes such as powering pneumatic tools or creating a vacuum seal for food preservation. It can also be harnessed to launch small objects, such as in the classic "exploding pop can" science experiment.