Does Hyugen's principle apply in three dimensions?

In summary, Hyugens principle does apply in three dimensions, as seen in examples such as the Bragg scattering in crystals. This principle states that a wavefront can be considered as consisting of infinitesimal sources that radiate in all directions, but not in the reverse direction. This applies to various scenarios, including mechanical waves in fluids. However, the amplitude of the wavelets may vary depending on the width of the beam, making the application of this principle more complex.
Tom79Tom
Does Hyugens principle apply in three dimensions ?

If a surface wave (for simplicity an ocean wave) is propagating along the x-axis we know that this wave ray is a point source for wavelets on the y-axis but what about the z axis?

If this diagram was 3d would we see a spherical wave front expanding from each point

7HGTk.gif

http://physics.ucdavis.edu/Classes/Physics9B_Animations/ReflRefr.html

Attachments

• 7HGTk.gif
    7HGTk.gif
    222.2 KB · Views: 690
Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Link said:
but the theory holds in 3 dimensions for quite a variety of scenarios.

Thanks Charles would this include mechanical waves ?
Intuitively this makes sense in fluids as they are unable to sustain shear any disturbance would be in all directions is this the logic ?

Tom79Tom said:
Thanks Charles would this include mechanical waves ?
Intuitively this makes sense in fluids as they are unable to sustain shear any disturbance would be in all directions is this the logic ?
I think it is likely that similar principles apply, but I don't have any expertise with the propagation of sound waves in fluids.

Isn't Huygens principle merely a statement about linearity? I'd say if your partial differential equation is linear, then Huygens principle applies. The wave equation is linear in all three directions.

Huygens principle in many ways is more than that. Huygens principle says that you can pick any plane of a wavefront and consider the plane as consisting of infinitesimal sources that radiate in all directions, ( i.e. in all directions into the forward direction, but not in the reverse direction). ## \\ ## To the OP: Waves in liquids behave in many ways like other waves, and even in some ways like E&M waves, but again, I do not have expertise in this area of waves in liquids.

Charles Link said:
i.e. in all directions into the forward direction, but not in the reverse direction).
This is how the original Huygens principle was stated. On its own, that sounds too arbitrary to me and could do with some justification. I don't think there's an arm waving justification but an 'obliquely factor' was proposed, which suppresses the backward wave (in this link). A more formal source gives a reason for the backwards wave not existing.
The first stab at Huygens involves dealing with a flat (/plane) wavefront and this would involve all wavelets having the same amplitude. In a beam that's passed through some aperture, the amplitude will vary over the width, which makes things more complicated. The wavelets would have to be given appropriate amplitudes across the wave front.

Likes Charles Link

1. Does Hyugen's principle only apply in two dimensions?

No, Hyugen's principle can also be applied in three dimensions. The principle states that every point on a wavefront can be considered as a new source of wave energy, which propagates outwards in all directions.

2. What is the significance of Hyugen's principle in wave propagation?

Hyugen's principle is important in understanding how waves travel and interact with obstacles in their path. It helps to explain phenomena such as diffraction, interference, and refraction.

3. How does Hyugen's principle apply to sound waves?

In the case of sound waves, Hyugen's principle states that every point on the wavefront acts as a source of spherical wavelets, which combine to form a new wavefront. This explains why sound waves can bend around objects and travel through openings.

4. Can Hyugen's principle be used to predict the direction of wave propagation?

Yes, Hyugen's principle can be used to determine the direction of wave propagation. The tangent to each new wavefront represents the direction of the wave at that point.

5. Is Hyugen's principle a fundamental law of physics?

No, Hyugen's principle is a theoretical concept that is used to explain wave behavior. It is based on the Huygens-Fresnel principle, which is a mathematical law that describes how waves propagate.