Does it matter where I am doing my PhD from?

• Thread starter johnykhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter Phd
In summary: It sounds like the premise for a great comedy.You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of the quality and reputation of the institution where one earns their PhD. The experts suggest that employers consider the country of the degree-awarding institution, and rankings can play a significant role. The conversation also touches on the importance of the graduate advisor and the quality of research in a PhD program. There is a mention of a lack of funding in Pakistani universities and how it may affect rankings and opportunities for graduates.
johnykhan
Does it matter where I am doing my PhD from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

If you write a more specific question, you may get a more specific answer.

Like I am doing PhD from a Pakistani university; I am highly intellectual and capable individual and aspire to build an international career anywhere out of Pakistan. Do employers consider the country of the degree awarding institution while evaluating the candidate for a job (not any specific job or industry)?

Employers care about the quality of the institution. That is correlated with the country it is in. I'm afraid the very best schools in Pakistan do not compare with even a poor research university in North America or Europe.

Pakistan's treatment of its only Nobel prize winner was shameful, so this does not come as a great surprise.

Vanadium 50 said:
Pakistan's treatment of its only Nobel prize winner was shameful,
who got his PhD from Cambridge.

"I'm afraid the very best schools in Pakistan do not compare with even a poor research university in North America or Europe." I differ with you on this because I have seen graduates of European schools struggling in front of Pakistani graduates; I am sorry I won't buy it.

In reply to your comment "Pakistan's treatment of its only Nobel prize winner was shameful, so this does not come as a great surprise." is out of context to the question. And on the ground that the treatment of employers outside Pakistan towards Pakistani graduates is not based on the reciprocity of treatment given to foreign graduates and laureates by Pakistani employers.

Last edited:
It sounds like you had an answer in mind and are unhappy you're not getting it.

I'll add it also (maybe ultimately) matters who you are doing it with.

Vanadium 50 said:
Employers care about the quality of the institution. That is correlated with the country it is in. I'm afraid the very best schools in Pakistan do not compare with even a poor research university in North America or Europe.

Pakistan's treatment of its only Nobel prize winner was shameful, so this does not come as a great surprise.

Vanadium 50 said:
It sounds like you had an answer in mind and are unhappy you're not getting it.

The first part of your reply was perfectly fine in which you said: "Employers care about the quality of the institution. That is correlated with the country it is in." But in your claim "I'm afraid the very best schools in Pakistan do not compare with even a poor research university in North America or Europe. Pakistan's treatment of its only Nobel prize winner was shameful, so this does not come as a great surprise"; you didn't give a proper reason rather made a criticism. That's why I needed to correct you on that. Otherwise I am cool and hope you didn't mind as well. Cheers

Locrian said:
I'll add it also (maybe ultimately) matters who you are doing it with.

Please elaborate I couldn't get you on "it also (maybe ultimately) matters who you are doing it with."

johnykhan said:
Please elaborate I couldn't get you on "it also (maybe ultimately) matters who you are doing it with."

What matters more than the name of the university is your graduate advisor and the work you do with them. Just because one speaks of a "brand-name university," it does not mean that they have the very best people in each and every subfield of every discipline. In fact, you may find that they don't have *anyone* in your areas of interest.

And there are some examples of colleges that are "only" good having great programs in specific areas. It's not just what you know, but who your advisor knows.

johnykhan said:
The first part of your reply was perfectly fine in which you said: "Employers care about the quality of the institution. That is correlated with the country it is in." But in your claim "I'm afraid the very best schools in Pakistan do not compare with even a poor research university in North America or Europe. Pakistan's treatment of its only Nobel prize winner was shameful, so this does not come as a great surprise"; you didn't give a proper reason rather made a criticism. That's why I needed to correct you on that. Otherwise I am cool and hope you didn't mind as well. Cheers

I think vandium is right though, I have never heard of any very good schools in Pakistan..

Mike H said:
What matters more than the name of the university is your graduate advisor and the work you do with them. Just because one speaks of a "brand-name university," it does not mean that they have the very best people in each and every subfield of every discipline. In fact, you may find that they don't have *anyone* in your areas of interest.

I agree. Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Locrian said:
And there are some examples of colleges that are "only" good having great programs in specific areas. It's not just what you know, but who your advisor knows.

Makes sense. Thank you

iRaid said:
I think vandium is right though, I have never heard of any very good schools in Pakistan..

If you speak of rankings then you won't see Pakistani universities in the list except for one or two, this is due to lack of funding. But I have seen a lot of capable people working in these universities and many of them go abroad to work for universities abroad.

Again, I think you are fishing for what you want to hear. Anything positive, you agree with, anything negative, you disagree with.

Rankings have meaning. Yes, there is no real difference between #1 and #10, or #1000 and #1010. But there is a difference between #1 and #1000. The best universities in Pakistan are ranked in the #2000-2500 ballpark. The worst university in the US to offer a PhD in physics sits around #550.

"Lack of funding" is important. Only a little funding means only a little research, and only a little research means poor rankings for your PhD programs, because a PhD program is a research degree. "Everything's good except for research funding" is like saying "Everything's good with this boat except the holes in the bottom."

Finally, it doesn't help that people like Sultan Bashiruddin Mehmood ""recommended that djinns [or genies], being fiery creatures, ought to be tapped as a free source of energy. By this means, a final solution to Pakistan's energy problems would be found."

I guess the difference is that you will have a much harder time convincing the people that you are good.
For instance in mathematics there are always people like Igor Rodnianski (Ms St. Petersburg PhD Kansas State... ) who just pop up out of nowhere, often nowhere, Russia, because there education is still very good. I can imagine the same with researchers from Pakistan.
However for instance in Experimental Physics you won't be able to outsmart or out educate billions of $ in funding.

johnykhan said:
"I'm afraid the very best schools in Pakistan do not compare with even a poor research university in North America or Europe." I differ with you on this because I have seen graduates of European schools struggling in front of Pakistani graduates; I am sorry I won't buy it.

In reply to your comment "Pakistan's treatment of its only Nobel prize winner was shameful, so this does not come as a great surprise." is out of context to the question. And on the ground that the treatment of employers outside Pakistan towards Pakistani graduates is not based on the reciprocity of treatment given to foreign graduates and laureates by Pakistani employers.

I think that what Vanadium was getting at is that religious tolerance/freedom tends to go with academic tolerance/freedom, and academic tolerance/freedom produces more ideas. It is less likely reject potentially good ideas based on irrelevant criteria such as how a researcher worships (or if at all). The universities in societies that persecute scholars on those grounds tend to decline (note the effects of the Inquisition, Communism, Fascism, etc.). The best research institutions have tended to encourage freedom of thought.

Pakistan persecuted the man's religious sect (while gladly developing the technology that his research led to I might add).

I don't know if YOU are looking for a particular answer but not getting it, but that does seem to describe why societies systematically persecute scholars. That attitude does not lead to innovative/meaningful research.

Just my take on the situation. I could have misinterpreted "the V-man (or V-woman)", but I don't think I misinterpretted history.

I agree with Vanadium and Locrian. In addition, I'll say your PhD worth is also tied to your publications, and the quality of the journals they are published in. If you graduated from a PhD in a Pakistani University and you have 0 publications. Your degree is worthless. If you graduated from a PhD in a Pakistani University and have many publications and they are all in journals peer-reviewed by faculty from Pakistani Universities. Your degree most likely is worthless.

You'll prefer to have publications in international recognized top ranked journals in order to convince others that your PhD even thought from an unknown university to them has "worth".

Related to Does it matter where I am doing my PhD from?

1. Does the reputation of the university where I do my PhD affect my future career prospects?

Yes, the reputation of the university where you obtain your PhD can have a significant impact on your future career prospects. Employers and academic institutions often consider the prestige and ranking of the university when making hiring decisions. A degree from a highly reputable university may open up more opportunities for you in your field.

2. Is it better to do my PhD from a well-known university abroad or from a local university?

The answer to this question depends on your personal goals and career aspirations. A PhD from a well-known university abroad may provide you with a global perspective and networking opportunities, but it may also come with a higher cost and longer duration. On the other hand, a PhD from a local university may be more affordable and allow you to maintain your current personal and professional commitments.

3. Will a PhD from a less prestigious university hold less value than one from a top-ranked university?

While the reputation of the university is important, it is not the only factor that determines the value of a PhD. The quality of your research, publications, and contributions to your field of study are also highly regarded. A PhD from a less prestigious university can still hold value if you have produced high-quality research and have a strong track record of academic achievements.

4. Does the location of the university matter for my PhD studies?

The location of the university can play a role in your PhD studies, but it is not the most crucial factor. It may affect factors such as cost of living, access to research facilities, and job opportunities. However, with the advancements in technology, many universities offer online programs, making the location less relevant for your studies.

5. Will my PhD degree be recognized internationally regardless of where I obtain it from?

Generally, a PhD degree from a recognized university will be recognized internationally. However, it is important to do your research and ensure that the university you choose is accredited and has a good reputation in your field of study. This will help ensure that your degree is recognized and valued by employers and academic institutions globally.