Electronics PhD Subject Question

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter nick40
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
nick40
Hi,

I would like to start a PhD in electronics but I'm having trouble trying to determine what subject I should choose.
I have an Electronics Engineering degree and it seems to be very hard if not impossible to find work in the USA with only an engineering degree.
My idea would be to be able to work in the USA or Europe. Are there any areas of research that are in need?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
nick40 said:
it seems to be very hard if not impossible to find work in the USA with only an engineering degree.
This seems to conflict with the statistics. Google finds a number of reliable sources (like the BLS) that estimate employment among BSEE holders around 97-98%,

Now, if you have other constraints, like you need a work visa, or you meed to live in a particular part of the country, or won't work in certain industries, this number `could be lower. But that's not the degree's fault.

A PhD is absolutely not required to be an engineer.

Likes Joshy
Welcome to PF.

nick40 said:
I have an Electronics Engineering degree and it seems to be very hard if not impossible to find work in the USA with only an engineering degree.
Do you have a BSEE (4-year degree) or an AA degree (2-year)? What country is it from? If you are not from the US, are you having trouble finding work as a BSEE because of some visa issues maybe?

I agree with V50, that a BSEE degree is fine for finding work in the US under most circumstances. A PhD is definitely overkill unless you have some specialty that you are already fascinated with and want to pursue for personal satisfaction reasons. If you have a BSEE and get your MSEE (an additional 1-2 years of school), that will open a few more doors for you (like into R&D positions), but not a lot.

Likes Joshy
Hi, My engineering degree took me 6 years, but the curricula is 5 years. I think its called MSEE in english? I'm not sure. I also have another degree 2 years but it's related to computer programming (AA degree?). And yeah I don't have a work visa for the US.

Well, the MSEE should be fine for getting a job in the US, if you can get the visa. Have you applied to any US companies yet? I think they can fly you to the US for in-person interviews, and if you are offered a job, they can help with the visa issues. Do you have any work experience yet in your country with your MSEE? What kind of work is it?

1. What is the purpose of studying Electronics for a PhD?

Studying Electronics for a PhD allows individuals to gain advanced knowledge and skills in the field of electronics, which can be applied to various industries such as telecommunications, healthcare, and renewable energy. It also provides opportunities for research and development of new technologies and innovations.

2. What are the prerequisites for pursuing a PhD in Electronics?

Typically, a Bachelor's and Master's degree in Electronics or a related field, such as Electrical Engineering, is required for admission into a PhD program. Some universities may also require applicants to have relevant work experience or research experience.

3. What are the career prospects for those with a PhD in Electronics?

Individuals with a PhD in Electronics have a wide range of career options, including research and development, academia, consulting, and management positions in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and healthcare. They can also work in government agencies or start their own companies.

4. What is the duration of a PhD program in Electronics?

The duration of a PhD program in Electronics varies depending on the university and the individual's research topic. On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a PhD program, which includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing.

5. What skills are necessary for success in a PhD program in Electronics?

Some essential skills for success in a PhD program in Electronics include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, critical thinking, creativity, and strong communication and teamwork skills. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages and knowledge of advanced mathematics and physics are also beneficial.