Does it matter where you take an internship?

In summary, this engineering major is considering an Aerospace minor in order to gain experience in another field. However, the major has some concerns about whether or not the company they are interning for is a good fit for their interests.
sydneyfranke
Sophomore Mechanical engineering major. Will declare Aerospace minor once I have the prerequisites. I would like to eventually work in the aerospace discipline, however my state does not have a university that offers the aero major.

A big part of me says "take what you can get," when it comes to internship opportunities but what if you land something that might seem less ideal? I definitely would like to find an internship with a private or government aerospace company, seeing as that's "what I want to do", but a lot of these companies have pretty high course requirements that I won't be getting to until my Junior year. This leaves one summer to land an internship and also places a lot of stress on me to actually get one of these highly competitve positions.

However, I have an offer that is short of in hand offer a company in my university's city. It would be like 5 minutes from my apartment. The only thing is that the company works a lot in the construction and energy fields - both of which I don't really see myself working in. On one hand it is SOME experience in engineering, but in the other hand it doesn't really seem like applicable experience when I go to get a full time job.

Anyways, what do you guys think about this? I still plan on applying to these aerospace companies in hopes of landing something, but I feel I'm a little under qualified. I currently have a work study job building circuit boards for what will be balloon satellites so I'm not just sitting dead in the water. But will an internship with an energy company help me with getting a job in another field? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track with the "take what you can get" idea. Internships are hard to land.

It's infinitely better to have done something than nothing.

Take it. Any experience is good experience.

Actually, I was in sort of a similar position a couple of years ago in that I wanted to go into aerospace as a mechE and took and internship at a power plant. I found power and energy to be just as interesting and now my career is heading that way.

I agree with the other guys. If you want to do aerospace, by all means try to get that internship, but if it's too competitive and you don't make the cut this year, you are much, much better off with some experience in construction than with no experience. Who knows, you might change your mind later and go with construction, and if not, there is a lot to learn at that internship that is applicable to both fields.

Related to Does it matter where you take an internship?

1. Does the location of an internship matter?

Yes, the location of an internship can have a significant impact on your experience. It can determine the type of work you will be doing, the industry you will be exposed to, and the networking opportunities available to you.

2. Will a prestigious location for an internship look better on my resume?

It depends on the field you are pursuing. For some industries, a prestigious location may carry more weight and impress potential employers. However, what matters most is the quality of the experience and skills you gain during the internship.

3. Can I still gain valuable experience from a smaller or lesser-known location for an internship?

Absolutely. While a larger or more well-known location may offer more opportunities, smaller or lesser-known locations can also offer unique experiences and allow for more hands-on learning. It is important to consider the specific responsibilities and tasks you will be given, rather than solely focusing on the location.

4. How can I determine if the location of an internship is a good fit for me?

Researching the company, industry, and location can give you a better understanding of what the internship will entail. Additionally, reaching out to current or former interns who have worked in that location can provide valuable insights and help you make an informed decision.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to choosing an internship in a different location than my desired career path?

There can be drawbacks, such as not being able to build connections in your desired career location or not gaining relevant experience for your chosen field. However, internships in different locations can also provide valuable skills and experiences that can be transferable to your desired career path.