Does it really matter where you get your PhD?

• Programs
  • Thread starter FalconOne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter Phd
In summary, the speaker is struggling with the decision of whether or not to attend graduate school at a top tier institution. They feel pressure from their peers to attend a prestigious school, but also have personal beliefs that research and publications matter more. They are worried about potential biases from employers and are considering pursuing a different career path. However, the other person in the conversation argues that it is important to find a school that is a good fit and not just focus on the name of the institution. Ultimately, the speaker must make their own decision and learn to deal with the consequences.
FalconOne
Okay, maybe that's a little vague. But I'm serious. All my friends applied to MIT, Caltech, Harvard, etc. In fact, it seems like everyone does. I didn't. I'm in the National Guard, so I'm stuck to one state. One of my friends suggested that I shouldn't go to graduate school at all unless I get into one of the top schools. I've come from a camp that believes that your research and publications matter more. The handful of schools I applied to all have research I'm interested in and I don't think the schools are horrible by any means in terms of rank, but they certainly aren't Top 10. But am I just going to hurt myself in terms of employment if I get a PhD from a not-top tier school? I just feel like waiting 8 years to maybe try to get in someplace "great" is a really long wait. (That's how long my commitment is)

Physics news on Phys.org
My personal opinion is that a PhD in physics is better than none at all. I don't think you can wait 8 years just to apply to a top PhD program, because such a long hiatus will be detrimental in your application and they might not take you because of that, and then you won't be able to get into any schools for your PhD.

I'm sure people will say that it doesn't make a difference as long as you have research, publications, experience, etc. but in reality, most employers will probably place a subconscious bias whether they like it or not on brand name schools. I'm sure most people, whether in the field of physics or not, as a first impression admire a PhD from Caltech or MIT than someone from like, I don't know, University of Mississippi or something.

That's what I thought, too. I don't know, though. Maybe I should just be an actuary. I'm all nervous.

How many of your friends have been accepted into one of those schools? To rule out getting a degree if it's not from a 'top 10' school is foolish. Might as well close down all the other schools if a degree from them is meaningless.

Your friend is uninformed.

What matters most is that you go to the school that's a good match for you. If you go to one of these big name schools, but end up with an advisor who you don't get along with, or on a project you don't enjoy, or sacrificing some other important aspect of your life for it and you don't perform well any incremental bonus that comes from name prestige isn't going to mean squat. There are lots of great schools that don't have the big names, but have highly specialized groups that are doing cutting edge research.

Part of growing up and maturing academically is learning how to evaluate a program based on your own observations, ranking potential schools by your own standards, making our own decisions and dealing with (or reaping the benefits of) the consequences.

Related to Does it really matter where you get your PhD?

1. Does the reputation of the university where I receive my PhD matter?

Yes, the reputation of the university where you receive your PhD can have an impact on your career opportunities. A prestigious university may provide more resources, networking opportunities, and a higher level of academic rigor, which can enhance your reputation and credibility as a researcher.

2. Will the location of my PhD program affect my career prospects?

The location of your PhD program may have some influence on your career prospects, as it can impact your access to certain industries or research opportunities. However, it is ultimately your research and skills that will determine your success, so the location of your program should not be the sole determining factor.

3. Are all PhD programs created equal?

No, not all PhD programs are created equal. Each program has its own curriculum, research focus, and faculty expertise. It is important to carefully research and choose a program that aligns with your research interests and career goals.

4. Do employers care where I received my PhD?

Employers may take into consideration the university where you received your PhD, but it is not the only factor they will consider. Your research experience, publications, and skills will also be important factors for employers.

5. Is it worth it to attend a top-ranked university for my PhD?

Attending a top-ranked university for your PhD can have its advantages, such as access to top-notch resources and networking opportunities. However, it is important to consider the cost and your personal fit with the program before making a decision.