Does L_g pass to the quotient G/H?

• I
  • Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    quotient
In summary: So L_g passes to the quotient if and only if the composition of the map from L_g to the quotient space and the map from the quotient space back to L_g is the same?This is correct.L_g passes to the quotient if and only if the composition of the map from L_g to the quotient space and the map from the quotient space back to L_g is the same.
PsychonautQQ
Say H is a subgroup of topological group G. Let L_g: G--->G be denote a map of G acting on itself by a left translation of g. Show that L_g passes(descends) to the quotient G/H.

I am a bit confused here, for L_g to pass to the quotient G/H, it would have to be constant on the fibers of G/H. This means that if q: G--->G/H is the quotient map, then q(a)=q(b) implies that L_g(a) = L_g(b); I don't believe this implication is true. If q(a) = q(b) then ar = bs for some a,s in H. but if L_g(a) = L_g(b) this means that ag = bg.

Input anyone?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
Say H is a subgroup of topological group G. Let L_g: G--->G be denote a map of G acting on itself by a left translation of g. Show that L_g passes(descends) to the quotient G/H.

I am a bit confused here, for L_g to pass to the quotient G/H, it would have to be constant on the fibers of G/H. This means that if q: G--->G/H is the quotient map, then q(a)=q(b) implies that L_g(a) = L_g(b); I don't believe this implication is true. If q(a) = q(b) then ar = bs for some a,s in H. but if L_g(a) = L_g(b) this means that ag = bg.

Input anyone?
We don't have to show ##ag = bg## and neither ##ga=gb## which I use here as you spoke of left multiplication. We must show that ##q(a)=aH=bH=q(b)## implies ##g.q(a) := q(ga)=gaH\stackrel{!}{=}gbH=q(gb) =: g.q(b)##. The cosets have to be equal, not the elements, so ##gah \in gbH## for any ##h \in H## has to be shown.

Of course we'll get in trouble if we want to identify the induced operation ##\overline{L_g}## on ##G/H## with the left multiplication ##L_{q(g)}## in ##G/H## because ##H## isn't required to be normal.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Ooooooh so the left translation of G acting on elements of G whilst in their cosets, right?

PsychonautQQ said:
Ooooooh so the left translation of G acting on elements of G whilst in their cosets, right?
Not sure I know what you mean here. The left translation ##L_g\, : \,x \longmapsto g\cdot x## induces a map ##\overline{L_g}\, : \,xH \longmapsto g\cdot (xH)=(g\cdot x)H## which is well-defined as two representatives of the same coset ##xh=y## lead to the same (co-)set ##gxH=gyH## using ##H\cdot H = H##. However, since ##G/H## is no group, it is not the left multiplication as ##L_g## is in ##G##. So ##\overline{L_g}## is purely set theoretically defined.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Okay, what you are saying is making a lot of sense. I guess when it said "passing to the quotient" I thought that the translation L_g: G-->G needed to equal the composition of some map from L_g to the quotient space and then the quotient space back to L_g... like usually when we say 'passes' or 'descends' to the quotient it means something along these lines i feel like.

1. What is "Passing to the quotient" in mathematics?

"Passing to the quotient" is a mathematical concept that involves dividing a set or structure by an equivalence relation. This process creates a new set or structure, called the quotient, which is composed of the equivalence classes of the original set or structure.

2. How is "Passing to the quotient" used in algebra?

In algebra, "Passing to the quotient" is used to simplify expressions or equations by dividing out common factors or terms. This allows for a more efficient and compact representation of the original expression or equation.

3. Can "Passing to the quotient" be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, "Passing to the quotient" is a widely applicable concept in mathematics and can be used in various areas such as geometry, topology, and number theory. It is a fundamental tool for understanding and solving problems involving equivalence relations.

4. What are some real-world applications of "Passing to the quotient"?

Some real-world applications of "Passing to the quotient" include group theory in physics, quotient spaces in vector analysis, and quotient rings in cryptography. It also has applications in computer science and data analysis.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using "Passing to the quotient"?

While "Passing to the quotient" can be a powerful tool in mathematics, it may not always be applicable or appropriate for a given problem. It is important to carefully consider the structure and properties of the original set or structure before using this concept. Additionally, some calculations involving quotient structures can be complex and time-consuming.