Abelian Permutation Group

No matter how much fiddling around with the equation, I can seem to get ##g(\sigma(a)) = \sigma(a)##, which would complete the proof since this would imply that ##g = e##.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Assume that ##G## is an abelian transitive subgroup of ##S_A## that acts on the set ##A##. Show that ##\sigma(a) \neq a## for all ##\sigma \in G - \{1\}## and all ##a \in A##. Deduce that ##|G| = |A|##.

Homework Equations

A group is said to act transitively on a set if there is only one orbit.

Fact: Let ##G## be a permutation group on the set ##A## (i.e., ##G \le S_A##), and let ##\sigma \in G## and let ##a \in A##. Then ##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} = G_{\sigma(a)}## (where ##G_a## denotes the stabilizer of ##a \in A##), and if ##G## acts transitively, then

$$\bigcap_{\sigma \in G} \sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} = \{e\}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##G## acts transitively on ##A##, then by the above fact we see that the kernel of the action is faithful. This means that ##\sigma (a) = a## if and only if ##\sigma = e##, which is to say that ##\sigma(a) \neq a## for all ##\sigma \in G - \{e\}## and ##a \in A##. I am now going to switch from the function notation ##\sigma(a)## to the customary group action notation ##g \cdot a##.

Now we construct a bijection between ##A## and ##G## to show they have the same cardinality. Consider ##f : G \to A## defined by ##f(g) = g \cdot a##. First recall that the action has one orbit since it is transitive. This implies that there exists a single ##a \in A## such that ##A = \cal{O}_a##. Clearly our function is surjective, since if ##b \in A = \cal{O}_a##, there exists a ##g \in G## such that ##b = g \cdot a## or ##b = f(g)##. Now we show that it is injective. Suppose that ##f(g) = f(h)##. Then ##(h^{-1}g) \cdot a = a##. We will show this implies that ##(h^{-1}g)\cdot x = x## for all ##x \in A##. If ##x \in A##, then there exists a ##k \in G## such that ##x = k \cdot a##. Hence,

$$(h^{-1}g) \cdot x = (h^{-1}g) \cdot (k \cdot a) = (h^{-1}k) \cdot (g \cdot a) = (k h^{-1}h) \cdot a = k \cdot a = x$$

In the above we used commutativity several times. Since the kernel is trivial, ##h^{-1}g = e## or ##g = h##, thereby proving injectivity, and hence bijectivity.

Does this sound right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Assume that ##G## is an abelian transitive subgroup of ##S_A## that acts on the set ##A##. Show that ##\sigma(a) \neq a## for all ##\sigma \in G - \{1\}## and all ##a \in A##. Deduce that ##|G| = |A|##.

Homework Equations

Fact: Let ##G## be a permutation group on the set ##A## (i.e., ##G \le S_A##), and let ##\sigma \in G## and let ##a \in A##. Then ##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} = G_{\sigma(a)}## (where ##G_a## denotes the stabilizer of ##a \in A##), and if ##G## acts transitively, then

If ##G## acts transitively on ##A##, then by the above fact we see that the kernel of the action is faithful. This means that ##\sigma (a) = a## if and only if ##\sigma = e##, which is to say that ##\sigma(a) \neq a## for all ##\sigma \in G - \{e\}## and ##a \in A##. I am now going to switch from the function notation ##\sigma(a)## to the customary group action notation ##g \cdot a##.

Now we construct a bijection between ##A## and ##G## to show they have the same cardinality. Consider ##f : G \to A## defined by ##f(g) = g \cdot a##. First recall that the action has one orbit since it is transitive. This implies that there exists a single ##a \in A## such that ##A = \cal{O}_a##. Clearly our function is surjective, since if ##b \in A = \cal{O}_a##, there exists a ##g \in G## such that ##b = g \cdot a## or ##b = f(g)##. Now we show that it is injective. Suppose that ##f(g) = f(h)##. Then ##(h^{-1}g) \cdot a = a##. We will show this implies that ##(h^{-1}g)\cdot x = x## for all ##x \in A##. If ##x \in A##, then there exists a ##k \in G## such that ##x = k \cdot a##. Hence,

$$(h^{-1}g) \cdot x = (h^{-1}g) \cdot (k \cdot a) = (h^{-1}k) \cdot (g \cdot a) = (k h^{-1}h) \cdot a = k \cdot a = x$$

In the above we used commutativity several times. Since the kernel is trivial, ##h^{-1}g = e## or ##g = h##, thereby proving injectivity, and hence bijectivity.

Does this sound right?
If ##G## is Abelian, then ##\bigcap_{\sigma \in G} \sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} = G_a## and your assumption, that this equals ##\{e\}## is what you want to prove.

fresh_42 said:
If GGG is Abelian, then ⋂σ∈GσGaσ−1=Ga⋂σ∈GσGaσ−1=Ga\bigcap_{\sigma \in G} \sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} = G_a and your assumption, that this equals {e}{e}\{e\} is what you want to prove.

I am not sure I understand this remark. Have I not proven what I have been asked to prove?

##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1}=\sigma \sigma^{-1}G_a = G_a## for Abelian groups and therefore ##\bigcap_{\sigma \in G} \sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} = G_a##. Now you claimed, that transitivity of the action implies ##\bigcap_{\sigma \in G} \sigma G_a \sigma^{-1}=\{e_G\}##. Combining it, it reads ##G_a=\{g\in G\,\vert \,g.a=a\}=\{e_G\}## for all ##a \in A##, that is ##e_G## is the only operation with fix points.

Nothing to prove anymore.

fresh_42 said:
Nothing to prove anymore.

Bashyboy said:
Fact: Let ##G## be a permutation group on the set ##A## (i.e., ##G≤SAG \le S_A##), and let ##\sigma \in G## and let ##a \in A##. Then ##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} = G_{\sigma(a)}## (where ##G_a## denotes the stabilizer of ##a \in A##), and if ##G## acts transitively, then

⋂σ∈GσGaσ−1={e}​

On second thought, I think I may have made a mistake when proving this fact. Let ##g \in \sigma G_a \sigma^{-1}##. This occurs if and only if there exists a ##\tau \in G_a## such that ##g = \sigma \tau \sigma^{-1}## iff and only if ##\sigma^{-1} g = \tau \sigma^{-1}##...No matter how much fiddling around with the equation, I can seem to get ##g(\sigma(a)) = \sigma(a)##, which would complete the proof since this implies ##g## stablizes the element ##\sigma(a)##. Here is what makes me even more nervous: ##g = \sigma \tau \sigma^{-1}## seems to imply that ##\sigma^{-1} g \sigma = \tau \in G_a##, which would suggest that the stabilizer is always a normal subgroup...But this isn't always the case...what am I misunderstanding??!

Similarly, ##G_{\sigma(a)} = \{g \in G ~|~ g(\sigma(a)) = \sigma(a) \} = ##\{g \in G , but I am having trouble justifying why the last set in this string of set equalities is the set ##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1}##.

No matter which way I attack it, it seems that I cannot finish the proof.

Or might it be the case, that what you stated under section 2 is actually what you want to show instead of what you want to use? I stopped reading it, as it was already the solution there.

fresh_42 said:
Or might it be the case, that what you stated under section 2 is actually what you want to show instead of what you want to use? I stopped reading it, as it was already the solution there.

No, what I wrote in section 3 was not intended to be used to proof what I mentioned in part 2. However, I just now realized that I incorrectly proved the fact I alluded in section 2 (see my post above).

WAIT! I may have a proof. Give me a few seconds!

##g \in G_{\sigma(a)}## if and only ##g(\sigma(a)) = \sigma(a)## if and only if ## (\sigma^{-1}g \sigma)(a) = a## if and only if ## \sigma^{-1} g \sigma \in G_a## if and only if there exists a ##\tau \in G_a## such that ##\sigma^{-1} g \sigma = \tau## if and only if ##g = \sigma \tau \sigma^{-1} \in \sigma G_a \sigma^{-1}##.

Does this seem right?

Last edited:
I don't see the point with the conjugation. In general ##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1}.\sigma(a)=\sigma(a)##, i.e. ##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} =G_{\sigma(a)}##.
On the other hand, your very first sentence was
Bashyboy said:
Assume that ##G## is an abelian transitive subgroup of ##S_A##
so all conjugations are already the identity: ##\sigma g \sigma^{-1}=g\,##.

Therefore my question is: Why is ##\bigcap_{\sigma \in G}\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1}=\{e_G\}\;##?

fresh_42 said:
I don't see the point with the conjugation. In general ##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1}.\sigma(a)=\sigma(a)##, i.e. ##\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} =G_{\sigma(a)}##.
On the other hand, your very first sentence was

so all conjugations are already the identity: ##\sigma g \sigma^{-1}=g\,##.

Yes, but the "fact" I alluded to in section 2 of my OP holds whether or not ##G## is abelian. So the proof I gave in post #7 proceeded without this assumption.

Bashyboy said:
Yes, but the "fact" I alluded to in section 2 of my OP holds whether or not ##G## is abelian. So the proof I gave in post #7 proceeded without this assumption.
I'm completely confused now, sorry. Let me summarize. We have by commutativity and transitivity
$$G_a= \bigcap_{\sigma \in G}\sigma G_a \sigma^{-1} = \bigcap_{\sigma \in G} G_{\sigma(a)}=\bigcap_{b\in A}G_b$$
This means, every ##\sigma \in G_a## acts as identity on ##A##. Since all elements of ##G## are defined as elements of ##S_A##, it means ##\sigma = e_G## which proves the first part.

Now we proceed by
Bashyboy said:
Now we construct a bijection between ##A## and ##G## to show they have the same cardinality. Consider ##f : G \to A## defined by ##f(g) = g.a##. First recall that the action has one orbit since it is transitive. This implies that there exists a single ##a \in A## such that ##A=\cal{O}_a##
the orbit of ##a##
Clearly
It would be a good habit to learn to avoid such words: clearly, obviously and similar. What might be obvious to you doesn't have to be obvious to others. I remember an occasion an "obviously" took me two days of search and three substitutions of complex variables and written twenty lines of calculations ...
our function is surjective, since if ##b \in A = \cal{O}_a##, there exists a ##g \in G## such that ##b = g.a## or ##b = f(g)##. Now we show that it is injective. Suppose that ##f(g) = f(h)##. Then ##(h^{-1}g).a = a##.
I think you can stop here. The first part already showed that a fix point for one element is automatically a fix point for all elements and ##h^{-1}g=e_G##. And I think this has been meant by (my flag):
Bashyboy said:
Deduce that ##|G| = |A|##.

We will show this implies that (h−1g)⋅x=x(h−1g)⋅x=x(h^{-1}g)\cdot x = x for all x∈Ax∈Ax \in A. If x∈Ax∈Ax \in A, then there exists a k∈Gk∈Gk \in G such that x=k⋅ax=k⋅ax = k \cdot a. Hence,

(h−1g)⋅x=(h−1g)⋅(k⋅a)=(h−1k)⋅(g⋅a)=(kh−1h)⋅a=k⋅a=x(h−1g)⋅x=(h−1g)⋅(k⋅a)=(h−1k)⋅(g⋅a)=(kh−1h)⋅a=k⋅a=x​
(h^{-1}g) \cdot x = (h^{-1}g) \cdot (k \cdot a) = (h^{-1}k) \cdot (g \cdot a) = (k h^{-1}h) \cdot a = k \cdot a = x

In the above we used commutativity several times. Since the kernel is trivial, h−1g=eh−1g=eh^{-1}g = e or g=hg=hg = h, thereby proving injectivity, and hence bijectivity.

Last edited:
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Does this sound right?
I find your notation unusual: when you mean that the kernel is faithful. I have heard of faithful actions, but not faithful kernels, do you mean that the kernel ( when the action is seen as an injection of ## G ## into the permutation group ## S_{|X|}## , where ## X## is the set you are acting on ) is trivial?.EDIT: And you want to show that if the associated map to the permutation group is injective, then the action is faithful ?

WWGD said:
I find your notation unusual: when you mean that the kernel is faithful. I have heard of faithful actions, but not faithful kernels, do you mean that the kernel ( when the action is seen as an injection of ## G ## into the permutation group ## S_{|X|}## , where ## X## is the set you are acting on ) is trivial?.
Those kernels ##\{e\}## are especially faithful in group theory. You can factor them out, separate them in direct factors, but you do not get rid of them, never ever. :biggrin:

(Sorry @Bashyboy, couldn't resist.)

fresh_42 said:
Those kernels ##\{e\}## are especially faithful in group theory. You can factor them out, separate them in direct factors, but you do not get rid of them, never ever. :biggrin:

(Sorry @Bashyboy, couldn't resist.)
And she has your phone number and she will call you even after you break up with her..., er, I mean, I agree, kernels, yes, kernels ;).

Likes fresh_42

What is an Abelian Permutation Group?

An Abelian Permutation Group is a mathematical structure that combines the concepts of an Abelian group and a permutation group. It consists of a set of elements that can be rearranged in a specific order, with the operation of composition being commutative.

What are the properties of an Abelian Permutation Group?

An Abelian Permutation Group has the following properties: closure, associativity, identity, inverse, commutativity, and permutation. Closure means that the group operation will always result in another element within the group. Associativity means that the order of operations does not matter. Identity means that there is an element that does not change when combined with other elements. Inverse means that each element has an inverse within the group. Commutativity means that the order of elements in the operation does not change the result. Permutation means that the group is made up of permutations, which are rearrangements of the elements.

What are some examples of Abelian Permutation Groups?

An example of an Abelian Permutation Group is the group of all permutations on a set of three elements. Another example is the group of all even permutations on a set of four elements. A third example is the group of all rotations of a square.

What is the order of an Abelian Permutation Group?

The order of an Abelian Permutation Group is the number of elements within the group. It can be calculated by taking the factorial of the number of elements in the group. For example, the order of a group with 4 elements is 4! = 24.

What are the applications of Abelian Permutation Groups?

Abelian Permutation Groups have various applications in mathematics, computer science, and physics. They are used in coding theory, cryptography, group theory, and analyzing symmetry in physical systems. They also have applications in studying crystal structures and quantum mechanics.