Does light reflect if incident exactly at critical angle ?

In summary, the principle of reversibility in classical physics says that if something is reflected, it must be reflected at the same angle as it was originally transmitted. If something is transmitted, it will be reflected at a different angle than it was originally transmitted, but it will still be transmitted.
Murtuza Tipu
A lot of textbooks and exam boards claim that light incident at exactly the critical angle is transmitted along the media boundary (i.e. at right-angles to the normal), but this seems to violate the principle of reversibility in classical physics. How would a photon or ray traveling in the reverse direction "know" when to enter the higher refracting medium? It can't know, so I conclude that such light is simply reflected?

Is this correct?

Science news on Phys.org
Unless your textbooks and exam boards don't believe in the existence of atoms, a boundary which is a geometrically perfect plane surface doesn't exist.

The general idea of what "light incident at exactly the critical angle is transmitted along the media boundary" means is clear enough, but don't confuse a simple mathematical model with reality.

can you explain me what exactly it is

It's a good question, but one that classical optics has covered I think.

Ray approximations are useful, but don't forget that light is ultimately a wave; and in the wave picture, the plane-wave components are completely non-localized.

In other words, light incident upon a surface with some critical angle, will be incident at that angle on ALL points on the surface. Thus there is no need for the time-reversed wave to "decide" a position from which to refract back out into space.

Claude.

Murtuza Tipu said:
A lot of textbooks and exam boards claim that light incident at exactly the critical angle is transmitted along the media boundary (i.e. at right-angles to the normal), but this seems to violate the principle of reversibility in classical physics. How would a photon or ray traveling in the reverse direction "know" when to enter the higher refracting medium? It can't know, so I conclude that such light is simply reflected?

Is this correct?
Yes and no.

No because, at the critical angle, the reflectivity is 100% and transmissivity is 0%. So there is no light transmitted along the surface, it is completely reflected.

And yes, because to reverse the situation, you would have a wave coming from the direction of the reflected beam, which is also at the critical angle.

You can look into the math by looking at the expressions for reflection and transmission, referred to as r and t at this link:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/freseq.html

At the critical angle, the transmitted angle θt is 90°, so you can work out what happens to r and t (at website linked above) in that case.

1. What is critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which light will be refracted at an angle of 90 degrees, and will travel along the surface of the medium instead of passing through it.

2. How is critical angle related to reflection?

When light is incident at exactly the critical angle, it will not be refracted and will instead be reflected back into the medium it came from. This is known as total internal reflection.

3. What factors affect the critical angle of a medium?

The critical angle of a medium is determined by the refractive index of the two materials at the interface, as well as the angle of incidence of the light.

4. Can light reflect at angles other than the critical angle?

Yes, light can reflect at any angle of incidence, but at angles less than the critical angle, it will be partially refracted and partially reflected.

5. How is the critical angle used in optical devices?

The critical angle is used in devices such as optical fibers and prisms to manipulate the path of light through total internal reflection, allowing for efficient transmission and manipulation of light.