Does Living Near Fast Food Increase Your Risk of Stroke?

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, a study in Texas found that people living in neighborhoods with a high concentration of fast food restaurants had a 13% higher risk of stroke. However, there are other factors to consider such as demographics and land-use zoning. Additionally, a separate study suggests that drinking coffee may actually reduce the risk of stroke. Ultimately, it is important to have a balanced and healthy diet to prevent health issues.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I'm less certain about what is cause and effect, but the correlation is interesting.
Living Near Fast Food Ups Stroke Risk
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=6914363&page=1

Have the fast food places sited their pick-up windows where their market is, or is the statistical correlation a result of the siting of so many fast food places?

13% looks to be somewhat notable.

Physics news on Phys.org
or is the statistical correlation a result of the siting of so many fast food places?
Does living near lots of Mercedes dealerships cause high incomes?

Someone has to be eating all that fast food for them to stay open. :wink:

need more data.

Moonbear said:
Moonbear?!? Did you really think you could sneak back without being noticed? Good to see you!

MOONBEAR! You're here! OMG! ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug)) ((hug))

Moonbear! :biggrin:

Hi Russ and MIH. Yep, just sneaking in and then heading back out again soon. My computer doesn't work with my boyfriend's internet (yeah yeah yeah, this is a perpetual problem that someday he might have time to call the cable company to fix for me...once in a while I have to let him fix something so I don't totally emasculate him), and he has his laptop with him. So, I'm sitting in the lounge smelling the take-out some other folks are eating in here and getting hungry.

Moonbear said:

Er... I must be dreaming...

{pinches Moonbie to make sure she's real}

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
{pinches Moonbie to make sure she's real}

Ow! Some welcome back, getting pinched! :grumpy:

I feel strangely naked without my mentor cape and superpowers.

Hey MB, good to see you popping back in!

Quick.. someone lock the door! :devil:

Good to see you back, moonie!
Moonbear said:
I feel strangely naked ...
And it's nice that you've taking up mooning again!

LowlyPion said:
I'm less certain about what is cause and effect, but the correlation is interesting.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=6914363&page=1

Have the fast food places sited their pick-up windows where their market is, or is the statistical correlation a result of the siting of so many fast food places?

13% looks to be somewhat notable.

They look at all of the demographics...population density, income, traffic, proximity to commercial/retail/industrial/highways.

Welcome back MB :smile:

There are a lot of things to consider. Normally, fast-food joints in Maine in places that are zoned for commercial development. If you drive around such areas, you don't see nice well-kept houses and grounds. You see apartment buildings (often run-down) small businesses, rent-to-own places, etc. Generally as you sample the demographics in areas such as this, you might expect to see poverty/obesity/stroke risk correlate to some extent.

turbo-1 said:
There are a lot of things to consider. Normally, fast-food joints in Maine in places that are zoned for commercial development. If you drive around such areas, you don't see nice well-kept houses and grounds. You see apartment buildings (often run-down) small businesses, rent-to-own places, etc. Generally as you sample the demographics in areas such as this, you might expect to see poverty/obesity/stroke risk correlate to some extent.

My thought, too, turbo. There are a lot of businesses that share that land-use zone...gas stations? Taverns? Laundromats? I bet the correlation holds for a lot of different businesses, not just fast food.

lisab said:
My thought, too, turbo. There are a lot of businesses that share that land-use zone...gas stations? Taverns? Laundromats? I bet the correlation holds for a lot of different businesses, not just fast food.
Exactly!

I can see where that study may be valid. You can't eat it if it isn't available.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-big-mac-i21111

edward said:
That looks a lot less harmful than I'd imagined.

Gokul43201 said:
That looks a lot less harmful than I'd imagined.

That is a lot of cholesterol and fat compared with other choices.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-subway-sandwiches-6-oven-roasted-i55980

Also in the news:

...The key finding: The more cups of coffee participants drank, the less likely they were to report ever being diagnosed with a stroke. For instance, among people who reported drinking one to two cups of coffee per day, 5% reported a history of stroke, compared to 3.5% of people who reported drinking three to five daily cups of coffee and about 3% of people who said they drink six or more cups of coffee per day...
http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20090219/tea-coffee-may-reduce-stroke-risk?src=RSS_PUBLIC

I should be strokeproof.

Welcome back Moonbear! [I knew she was coming :biggrin:]

edward said:
I can see where that study may be valid. You can't eat it if it isn't available.

I can go to the taqueria down the street and buy a one pound buritto loaded with sour cream, guacomole, and cheese with my choice of fatty salty meat. costs about the same as a burger and fries from mcdonalds too.

'Tis better to fast from food than to feed on fast food.

"esearchers studying neighborhoods in one Texas county found that people living in regions with 33 fast food restaurants or more had 13 percent greater odds of stroke than those living in neighborhoods with the fewest fast-food joints. "

I don't know though, who doesn't live close to atleast some fast food places? Theyre everywhere. I wonder how big of a size they count the regions. Unless you live somewhere rural there are always fast food places close by.

elterrible said:
"Researchers studying neighborhoods in one Texas county found that people living in regions with 33 fast food restaurants or more had 13 percent greater odds of stroke than those living in neighborhoods with the fewest fast-food joints. "
From the image it looks like they have proved that living near neon signs causes strokes!

1. What is the connection between living near fast food and risk of stroke?

Studies have shown that living near fast food restaurants can increase the risk of stroke due to the high consumption of unhealthy fast food that is often associated with living in close proximity to these establishments.

2. How does living near fast food affect your diet?

Living near fast food can lead to a higher consumption of unhealthy fast food due to its convenience and accessibility. This can result in a diet high in unhealthy fats, sugars, and sodium, all of which are risk factors for stroke.

3. Are all fast food restaurants equally harmful for stroke risk?

While all fast food restaurants offer foods that are typically high in unhealthy ingredients, some may offer healthier options than others. However, the overall proximity to fast food has been linked to increased risk of stroke, regardless of the specific restaurant.

4. Does living near fast food affect stroke risk for all age groups?

Research has shown that living near fast food can increase the risk of stroke for people of all ages, including children. This is due to the negative impact of a high fast food diet on overall health, which can lead to increased risk of stroke over time.

5. What are some other factors that may contribute to the link between living near fast food and stroke risk?

In addition to diet, living near fast food may also be linked to other factors that increase stroke risk, such as sedentary lifestyle, stress, and socioeconomic status. These factors can also be influenced by the presence of fast food restaurants in a community.