Does low current make a light dimmer

In summary, the brightness of a light bulb is determined primarily by the amount of current passing through it. In parallel circuits, the total current is split between branches but does not necessarily decrease, thus the lights do not get dimmer. The overall current in a parallel circuit is typically greater than in a series circuit, assuming the power supply provides the same voltage in both cases.
Jonathan1218
If two light bulbs have the same voltage but one with a lower current does it make one dimmer than the other? I’m confused why lights in parallel circuits don’t get dimmer even tho there is less current. Thx for replying

Physics news on Phys.org
There are multiple interpretations of your question, so it would help if you could clarify so we can give you the best answer. Some starting points:
  • The light output of a bulb is pretty closely tied to the power it dissipates
  • Higher voltage light bulbs (like 220V bulbs versus 110V bulbs) will have a higher resistance for the same output brightness and power consumed
  • Light bulbs placed in parallel on an AC Mains circuit do not generally dim as more bulbs are installed on that circuit, because the wiring has been sized (by building code regulations) to be large enough (in conductor diameter) that the voltage drop across the wires from the extra power loading does not change the delivered AC Mains voltage very much
Hope that helps you to respond to clarify your question. :smile:

Likes russ_watters and Jonathan1218
So maybe I should rephrase to: does the amount of current passing through the light bulb (I) affect its brightness? Sorry if I am still being unclear:(

Jonathan1218 said:
So maybe I should rephrase to: does the amount of current passing through the light bulb (I) affect its brightness? :(
Yes, the amount of current through an incandescent light bulb is the primary indicator of the brightness of the light emitted.

Do you have a particular situation in mind? Would you like to see more equations showing the electrical and light output behaviors? We're happy to help you start to understand this.

Likes Jonathan1218
Jonathan1218 said:
I’m confused why lights in parallel circuits don’t get dimmer even tho there is less current.
As @berkeman said, the brightness is indeed determined primarily by the current. The fact that the lights do not get dimmer in a parallel circuit indicates that there is not less current.

Likes Jonathan1218
I am confused since my textbook says current in parallel circuits are shared between junctions. XD . Am I missing something or should I lodge a complaint with my teacher? And yes i really would like to start getting familiar with circuits so please recommend some materials to me. Much thx

Attachments

• IMG_0136[1].JPG
    IMG_0136[1].JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 397
The total current is indeed split between the various branches of a parallel circuit, but that does not necessarily imply that the current is less in each branch. It could just as easily mean that the total current is greater instead. In fact, your observation that it does not get dimmer clearly indicates which of those two possibilities occurs.

Likes Jonathan1218
Ahhh thank you I get it now

So can I say the overall current in a parallel circuit is greater than in a series circuit?

Jonathan1218 said:
So can I say the overall current in a parallel circuit is greater than in a series circuit?
Yes, with the assumption that the circuit power supply provides the same voltage in both cases. Most power supplies are voltage sources, so that is usually a valid assumption.

Likes Jonathan1218

Related to Does low current make a light dimmer

1. How does low current affect the brightness of a light?

Low current can cause a light to appear dimmer because the flow of electricity is reduced. This means that there is less energy available to power the light bulb, resulting in a decrease in brightness.

2. Can using low current save energy and reduce electricity costs?

Yes, using low current can save energy and reduce electricity costs because less electricity is being used to power the light. However, the decrease in brightness may also affect the overall functionality and effectiveness of the light.

3. What are the potential dangers of using low current for lighting?

Using low current for lighting can be dangerous if the circuit is not properly designed and maintained. Low current can cause the light to flicker or produce a dim, inconsistent light, which can be a safety hazard in certain situations.

4. Can low current damage the light bulb or other electrical components?

In most cases, low current will not damage the light bulb or other electrical components. However, if the current is too low, it may cause the light to flicker or produce a dim light, which can be a sign of an underlying electrical issue that should be addressed.

5. Is there a minimum amount of current required to power a light?

Yes, there is a minimum amount of current required to power a light. This varies depending on the type of light bulb and its wattage. It is important to ensure that the circuit is providing enough current to safely power the light without causing any damage.