Good LED bulb will not work in a socket

In summary, a 25 year electrician encountered a strange issue with a science project lamp that has a dimmer, a volt meter, and a socket with a bulb. Every dimmable bulb, including LED's, worked perfectly in the circuit except for a large globe vintage style General Electric LED bulb purchased from Lowes. Despite being functional in other lamps, this specific bulb would not light up in this circuit. The socket was eliminated as the problem and a similar LED bulb worked in the circuit. The circuit consists of a dimmer, a voltmeter, and a bulb, with the hot wire going through the dimmer to control the voltage, then to the meter, and finally to power the light bulb. The neutral wire goes
ILoveDeoxit
TL;DR Summary
I don't even know where to start.
Hi all,

25 year electrician here with a strange (to me) issue.

I have a science project lamp that has a dimmer, a volt meter and a socket with a bulb in it. The kids can turn on the bulb, rotate the dimmer and watch the voltage go up and down on the meter. Simple enough.

Every dimmable bulb (including LED's) I have put in it works perfectly. Until now.
Lowes sells a large globe vintage style General Electric LED bulb and I purchased one. Long story short, It will not light up in this circuit for some reason. This bulb works in every other lamp I tried it in, the bulb is fine.

I eliminated the socket as the problem by jumping the wires straight to the bulb and still nothing.

I tried a similar LED bulb, same style, design and it works. Every other bulb in the house works in this circuit except the one I just bought.

Can anyone explain this to me?
GEVintageStyleDimmableLEDLightBulbWattsjpg_grande.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
ILoveDeoxit said:
Summary:: I don't even know where to start.

I tried a similar LED bulb, same style, design and it works. Every other bulb in the house works in this circuit except the one I just bought.
You mean you purchased an identical bulb ? (And it works? )

hutchphd said:
You mean you purchased an identical bulb ? (And it works? )

No, I have other LED bulbs that are built the same way (vintage style) but they are regular sized bulbs.

For the record, VOM shows a solid 119 volts at the socket. All I can think of is somehow the inline volt meter is effecting this bulb somehow? There is really nothing else to question.

ILoveDeoxit said:
All I can think of is somehow the inline volt meter is effecting this bulb somehow?

You said there is a dimmer, not only a voltmeter?

Correct. Simple circuit... Dimmer to voltmeter to bulb.

ILoveDeoxit said:
For the record, VOM shows a solid 119 volts at the socket. All I can think of is somehow the inline volt meter is effecting this bulb somehow? There is really nothing else to question.
Voltmeters are not used inline. A more detailed description and schematic would be helpful.

Likes hutchphd
I would put the bet on the dimmer.

I would suspect the dimmer but every other bulb in the house works in it.

Averagesupernova said:
Voltmeters are not used inline. A more detailed description and schematic would be helpful.

Its like this...

Rotary Lutron dimmer to panel volt meter to bulb.
Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 1.33.12 PM.png

Could you show some wires, perhaps?

Likes Vanadium 50
hutchphd said:
Could you show some wires, perhaps?

120 volt
hot/neutral to dimmer, hot and neutral to the meter and then to the socket. Thats it.

ILoveDeoxit said:
I would suspect the dimmer but every other bulb in the house works in it.

Doesn't matter much. LED bulbs have their own switchers which don't have to be compatible with the dimmer. It is not like every LED bulb is made exactly the same way.

Borek said:
Doesn't matter much. LED bulbs have their own switchers which don't have to be compatible with the dimmer. It is not like every LED bulb is made exactly the same way.

I suppose its possible but Lutron would be the De facto standard if there is one for dimmers. :rolleyes:
I would think A GE bulb that says "dimmable" should work with a Lutron dimmer.

ILoveDeoxit said:
I would think A GE bulb that says "dimmable" should work with a Lutron dimmer.
That would not be a wise assumption

Likes Vanadium 50
ILoveDeoxit said:
120 volt
hot/neutral to dimmer, hot and neutral to the meter and then to the socket. Thats it.
That makes no sense.

Borek said:
I would put the bet on the dimmer.

Borek you nailed it...
Not sure what happened but finally all the bulbs stopped working. Apparently the dimmer died. It tripped the breaker whatever happened inside it. New dimmer now and everything is working.

Thanks to all!

A dead dimmer is much better than Gremlins!

Averagesupernova said:
That makes no sense.

Its very simple Averagesuprenova...

Hot wire goes through the dimmer to control the voltage, then it goes to the meter, then it goes to power the light bulb.
Neutral goes to the meter and then the light bulb.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 1.33.12 PM.png

hutchphd said:
A dead dimmer is much better than Gremlins!

I have to admit I was scratching my head Hutch. :oldconfused:

Likes hutchphd
ILoveDeoxit said:
Its very simple Averagesuprenova...

Hot wire goes through the dimmer to control the voltage, then it goes to the meter, then it goes to power the light bulb.
Neutral goes to the meter and then the light bulb.

View attachment 266892
It's not so simple because it contradicts what you wrote in post #12. Your diagram shows the neutral NOT going to the dimmer. The diagram is how I would have expected it, not the way you worded it in the description.

Averagesupernova said:
It's not so simple because it contradicts what you wrote in post #12. Your diagram shows the neutral NOT going to the dimmer. The diagram is how I would have expected it, not the way you worded it in the description.

You are correct Averagesupernova. 👍
I messed up royal on post 12. The dimmer only use's the hot wire.

Likes berkeman

1. Why is my good LED bulb not working in a socket?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the bulb is not compatible with the socket. Make sure to check the bulb's packaging or specifications to ensure it is the correct type for your socket. Another reason could be a faulty bulb. Try testing the bulb in a different socket or replacing it with a new one to see if it works. It is also possible that the socket itself is faulty or has a loose connection, in which case you may need to replace the socket or have it repaired.

2. Can a good LED bulb be too bright for a socket?

Yes, it is possible for a good LED bulb to be too bright for a socket. Each socket has a specific wattage limit, and if the bulb's wattage exceeds this limit, it can cause the bulb to not work properly or even damage the socket. Make sure to check the wattage of your bulb and the wattage limit of your socket to ensure they are compatible.

3. What should I do if my good LED bulb flickers or doesn't turn on in a socket?

If your good LED bulb flickers or doesn't turn on in a socket, it could be a sign of a loose connection. Try tightening the bulb in the socket to see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, it could be due to a faulty bulb or socket. Try testing the bulb in a different socket or replacing it with a new one to see if it works. If the issue continues, it may be necessary to replace or repair the socket.

4. Can a good LED bulb be too dim for a socket?

Yes, it is possible for a good LED bulb to be too dim for a socket. This could be due to several reasons, such as a low wattage bulb or a faulty connection. Make sure to check the wattage of your bulb and the wattage limit of your socket to ensure they are compatible. If the wattage is not the issue, try tightening the bulb in the socket or testing the bulb in a different socket to see if it works properly.

5. Can a good LED bulb work in any type of socket?

No, a good LED bulb may not work in any type of socket. LED bulbs come in various shapes and sizes, and not all of them are compatible with every type of socket. Make sure to check the bulb's packaging or specifications to ensure it is the correct type for your socket. Additionally, the wattage of the bulb should also be compatible with the wattage limit of the socket. Using a bulb with a higher wattage than the socket's limit can cause it to not work properly or even damage the socket.