Does mass density affect load distribution on barbell?

In summary, the conversation discussed the argument about loading a barbell with different weight plates and the potential impact on spine pressure during a low bar squat. The theory presented was that the mass density closer to the spine could change the load distribution. However, it was acknowledged that the difference may only be noticeable if the bar bends slightly differently.
Joa Jac
Had an argument with a few guys at the gym today. I told them that loading a barbell with 100 on each side instead of 2 45s and a 10 causes more pressure on your spine. This example is in reference to someone performing a low bar squat in which the bar has contact points across the entire back. My theory is that because the mass density is bigger closer to the spine. The load distribution will be different than that of a loaded bar with lighter plates.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way I can see it might make a difference is if the different distribution of weight makes the bar bend slightly differently.

1. How does mass density affect load distribution on a barbell?

Mass density refers to the amount of mass per unit volume of a material. In the case of a barbell, the mass density of the material used will determine how the load is distributed along the bar. Generally, a higher mass density will result in a more even distribution of weight along the bar, while a lower mass density may cause the weight to be concentrated in certain areas.

2. Does the shape of the barbell affect load distribution?

Yes, the shape of the barbell can also have an impact on load distribution. A barbell with a thicker diameter will typically have a more even weight distribution compared to a barbell with a thinner diameter. This is because a thicker bar can better support the weight and distribute it evenly along its length.

3. How does the length of the barbell affect load distribution?

The length of the barbell can also play a role in load distribution. A longer barbell will have a larger surface area to distribute the weight, resulting in a more even distribution. On the other hand, a shorter barbell may cause the weight to be more concentrated in the center.

4. Is there an ideal mass density for a barbell to ensure proper load distribution?

There is no one ideal mass density for a barbell, as it ultimately depends on personal preference and the type of weightlifting being performed. However, a barbell with a mass density that is too low or too high may result in uneven weight distribution and could potentially increase the risk of injury.

5. How can I determine the mass density of a barbell?

The mass density of a barbell can be calculated by dividing the total mass of the barbell by its volume. The volume of a barbell can be determined by measuring its length and diameter and using the formula for the volume of a cylinder (V = πr²h). Alternatively, the mass density may also be provided by the manufacturer or can be found in product specifications.