Does Maxwell's Demon violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

In summary: A History, a Theory, a Flood, New York: Pantheon, 2011In summary, the conversation discusses a recent paper on the experimental realization of an autonomous Maxwell's demon and the implications of Koski's new apparatus. The authors do not claim to violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, but they are able to reduce entropy of the system under test. The significance of this paper lies in the connection between thermodynamics and information theory, with the possibility of "information-powered devices". Further explanations can be found in papers by Charles H. Bennett and J. Bub, as well as the book "Information" by J. Gleick.
KMote
I'm a newbie (obviously), but I just read this recent paper describing an "experimental realization of an autonomous Maxwell’s demon" (along with this review). I think I understand the general concept of Maxwell's thought experiment well enough (from a layman's perspective), but I'm having difficulty understanding the implications of Koski's new apparatus. The authors of the paper don't specifically claim to be violating the 2nd Law of Thermo; nevertheless, they are reducing entropy of the system under test (i.e. temperature drop). Can someone help me understand the significance of this paper? (I'm particularly interested in the meaning and plausibility of so-called "information-powered devices".)

Physics news on Phys.org
KMote said:
I'm a newbie (obviously), but I just read this recent paper describing an "experimental realization of an autonomous Maxwell’s demon" (along with this review). I think I understand the general concept of Maxwell's thought experiment well enough (from a layman's perspective), but I'm having difficulty understanding the implications of Koski's new apparatus. The authors of the paper don't specifically claim to be violating the 2nd Law of Thermo; nevertheless, they are reducing entropy of the system under test (i.e. temperature drop). Can someone help me understand the significance of this paper? (I'm particularly interested in the meaning and plausibility of so-called "information-powered devices".)
No, it doesn't.
He will increase entropy by clearing registers of records.
Interestingly this creature is bringing together thermodynamics and information theory.

Likes thephystudent
For a popular-science explanation of the resolution of the Maxwell-demon paradox see the excellent book

J. Gleick, Information

What is Maxwell's Demon?

Maxwell's Demon is a hypothetical thought experiment proposed by physicist James Clerk Maxwell in 1867. It involves a small being that is able to selectively open and close a door between two chambers of gas particles, thereby violating the second law of thermodynamics.

How does Maxwell's Demon violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy, or disorder, of a closed system will always increase over time. However, Maxwell's Demon is able to decrease the entropy of the system by selectively allowing only fast-moving particles into one chamber and slow-moving particles into the other chamber. This results in one chamber having a higher temperature and lower entropy, while the other chamber has a lower temperature and higher entropy, contradicting the second law.

Has Maxwell's Demon been proven to exist?

No, Maxwell's Demon is a purely theoretical concept and has not been observed or proven to exist in the physical world. It is a thought experiment meant to challenge our understanding of the laws of thermodynamics.

Is it possible for Maxwell's Demon to be created in the future?

While it is not possible to create a being like Maxwell's Demon, scientists have developed devices that can sort particles based on their energy levels, which is similar to the concept of Maxwell's Demon. However, these devices do not violate the second law of thermodynamics, as they require energy input and do not create a perpetual motion machine.

What are the implications of Maxwell's Demon?

The concept of Maxwell's Demon challenges our understanding of the second law of thermodynamics and has sparked debates among scientists. It also has potential implications for information theory and the development of technologies such as nanotechnology and quantum computing.