Does metallic bonding count as giant structure

In summary, metallic bonding is a type of chemical bonding between metallic elements where delocalized electrons are shared between all atoms in the metallic lattice. It differs from other types of bonding in that it involves the sharing of electrons rather than the transfer or sharing of specific electrons between two atoms. This type of bonding can be considered a giant structure as the metallic lattice extends in all three dimensions. Materials with metallic bonding have high thermal and electrical conductivity, malleability, ductility, and tend to have high melting and boiling points and tensile strength. The strength of metallic bonding is considered weaker than covalent bonding but stronger than van der Waals forces. It can only occur between atoms of metallic elements and not non-metal elements, as they do
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 2.18.10 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing P is a noble gas and Q is in group I. Therefore A, B, C and E can be canceled out. S is a transition metal. It is a metal lattice structure. But I guess it could be described as a giant structure, so would you say D is the answer?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
TT0 said:
I am guessing P is a noble gas and Q is in group I.

Good.

TT0 said:
S is a transition metal.

Doesn't necessarily follow.

Likes TT0
I see, thanks a lot!

1. What is metallic bonding and how does it differ from other types of bonding?

Metallic bonding is a type of chemical bonding that occurs between atoms of metallic elements. It differs from other types of bonding, such as covalent or ionic bonding, in that it involves the sharing of delocalized electrons between all atoms in the metallic lattice rather than the transfer or sharing of specific electrons between two atoms.

2. Does metallic bonding count as a giant structure?

Yes, metallic bonding can be considered a type of giant structure. This is because the metallic lattice, which is made up of repeating units of the same type of atom, extends in all three dimensions, creating a large, continuous structure.

3. What are the properties of materials with metallic bonding?

Materials with metallic bonding have several distinctive properties, including high thermal and electrical conductivity, malleability, and ductility. They also tend to have high melting and boiling points, as well as high tensile strength.

4. How does the strength of metallic bonding compare to other types of bonding?

The strength of metallic bonding is often considered to be weaker than covalent bonding, but stronger than van der Waals forces. This is because the delocalized electrons in metallic bonding are able to move freely, making the bond more flexible and less rigid compared to covalent bonds.

5. Can metallic bonding occur between non-metal elements?

No, metallic bonding only occurs between atoms of metallic elements. Non-metal elements do not have the same type of valence electrons that are necessary for this type of bonding to occur.