Does Michael Steele Truly Represent Any Faction of the Republican Party?

• News
  • Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary: That's a prett good point he makes about "being on the wrong side of history". In any case, I don't see anything in the clip that has anything to do with the things you said about him, until the last paragraph.LowlyPion: Which was the point of this thread? Is it that you want to know "what is up with Michael Steele?" Or is it that you want to make assertions about Michael Steele?So who is leading the Republican Party? Does Michael Steele have any constituency? Or for that matter any currency with Republicans any more if ever? Like just what is his supposed base? Or is his apparent impotence at driving any debate, or is his feeling slighted
lisab said:
Steele now says Obama wasn't vetted, because he's black.

...what the...:confused:...?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/22/steele-obama-wasnt-vetted-because-hes-black/

Apparently the Republicans are the ones that should have vetted Steele.

His verbal dysentery is every bit the equal of Biden's I think.

I think it must be a scary day to be a Republican, any day that Steele or Cheney gets their hands on a microphone. These days that seems to be any day whose name ends with a "y".

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help but add that the first time I saw Obama, on Meet the Press, I was wishing he was white. I was afraid that his skin color made it impossible for him to win. For this reason, while I supported Obama with great enthusiasm, I had predicted that Hillary would win the Dem. ticket.

Many liberals and moderates, including blacks, found themselves in the position of liking Obama but being afraid to support him for fear of it costing the Dems the general election. It was only when he won lily-white Iowa - the whitest State in the Union - that many of us began to take him seriously as a viable candidate. In other words, the truth of the matter is that his skin color almost cost him the liberal vote; including the black vote!

I love Iowa!

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
This accusation of "liberal guilt" kills me. If that was really a determining factor, Jesse Jackson would have been President long ago...
I like your way of articulating things. This whole balderdash about "liberal guilt" is no different than calling men who are activists for women's rights "effeminate" or in extreme cases "gay".

The underlying logic is that those who voted for Obama did so principally because of his race and not because of other factors.

In other words, something "emotional" and nonsensical drove individuals' decision making as opposed to clear, well-thought out thinking.

The irony is also the educational and financial differences between Obama voters vis-a-vis his recent competitors.Is Obama perfect? Absolutely not.

Is he the most experienced? Absolutely not.

Was he the best individual for the job? In my opinion, yes. The Republican party as it stands now consists "largely" of regional pockets of people who are out of touch with the mainstream of society. Once more, sensible members of the party like Tim Pawlenty from Minnesota for instance get silenced by the extremists. I gave money to a Republican candidate during the primary but as I saw how things progressed towards the general, I was sadly disappointed with the direction the party took.Michael Steele speaks like someone who didn't pass his 7th grade Langauge Arts course and he shouldn't get a "pass" for sounding "cool" just because he is African American - he sounds like a true idiot.What about people like Kay Bailey Hutchinson? I was so incensed when Ms. I-attended-55-community-colleges aka Sara Palin was selected as McCain's running mate. WTF?!

Of all the intelligent, articulate women in the Republican party, is that what they present to the world? Yes, she went over well with her base, but not with middle-of-the-road voters.The Republicans are still feeding off of the same old tired fear, hate, reactionary focused strategies of the past and they don't seem to recognize that it's just not going to work this time around.

Paul Krugman did a fascinating video presentation in Oregon where he discusses economic and social policy in relation to democratic and republican party formation. He touches on my last point above about the strategies of the Republican party since Reagan.

The video is both informative and entertaining. He's a wee bit too left-of-centre for me but he does have some interesting insights rather regularly.

Video link on google:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-782159081457451178&ei=2HcXStFLguaqAuPJocAG&q=paul+krugman&hl=en

Last edited by a moderator: