Does moisture escaping from powders decrease chamber vacuum?

In summary, the conversation is about using a vacuum oven to dry wet powders. The person notices condensation on the window and is puzzled as the vacuum level remains constant. They use a logger to measure relative humidity and find that it increases even at -0.1 MPa. They are unsure how to ensure the powders are completely dry. They also discuss the functionality of the RH meter, which they tested and found that the temperature remains constant but the RH fluctuates depending on the pump being on or off. They also mention using a drop of water as an indicator for when the powders are dry.
Cleitus
I'm drying some wet powders using vacuum oven and start seeing some condensation on the window after few minutes. The vacuum level stays pretty constant which puzzles me as i thought that the moisture escapes from the powder into the air will increase the chamber pressure or decrease the vacuum. I then put my logger in and found out that the relative humidity (RH) increases even though the chamber is at -0.1 MPa. Since the RH increases, how do i ensure that my powders are completely dry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Out of curiosity, how does the RH meter you are using work? Is it supposed to work in vacuum?

Well the manual didnt specify whether it works under vacuum. Nevertheless, i went ahead and put it into check whether it logs the temperature and relative humidity. I can see the temperature stays pretty constant at 20˚C but the RH fluctuates depending on when I turn the pump on. At initial pumping, the RH drops and slowly increases after i stopped the pump. RH decreases again when i turned the pump on the second time. Btw, i placed a drop of water in a petri dish as an indicator assuming that when it dries out, my powders are dried.

1. Does moisture escaping from powders affect chamber vacuum?

Yes, moisture escaping from powders can decrease chamber vacuum. This is because moisture can condense on the walls of the chamber and create a barrier that reduces the effectiveness of the vacuum.

2. How does moisture escaping from powders impact the vacuum pressure?

If moisture is escaping from powders, it can decrease the vacuum pressure by creating a barrier between the chamber and the vacuum source. This can result in a lower vacuum pressure and reduced efficiency of the process.

3. Can moisture escaping from powders affect the quality of the vacuum?

Yes, moisture escaping from powders can impact the quality of the vacuum. The presence of moisture can interfere with the vacuum’s ability to remove air and create an optimal vacuum environment, which can affect the quality of the process being performed.

4. Is it necessary to remove moisture from powders before creating a vacuum?

It is recommended to remove moisture from powders before creating a vacuum. This ensures that the vacuum pressure is not affected and the process can be performed efficiently. Additionally, removing moisture can prevent any potential damage to the vacuum equipment.

5. How can I prevent moisture from escaping from powders and affecting the vacuum?

To prevent moisture from escaping from powders and affecting the vacuum, it is important to ensure that the powders are completely dry before placing them in the vacuum chamber. Additionally, using a desiccant or moisture-absorbing material in the chamber can help absorb any moisture that may be present.