Does physics allow us to create large amounts of negative energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of negative energy and its potential uses, such as stabilizing wormholes and allowing for FTL travel and time travel. The possibility of creating negative energy in large quantities is debated, but according to current physics, it is not possible. The conversation also mentions the potential for new physics to change this in the future, but without evidence, it remains speculation. The thread is then closed.
Bawelna
Hello.
Casimir effect allows to create negative-energy-density (NED), but ONLY SMALL AMOUNTS of it. I wonder if physics generally allows for the existence of negative energy in large quantities. I think that if the negative energy can be produced in small quantities, it can also occur in larger quantities. If it's possible, how to achieve it? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bawelna said:
If it's possible, how to achieve it?
E.g. by defining the 0 point of potential energy as being far away from the source of gravity (a standard practice). Then you gain negative energy as you fall down towards that source. You can get arbitrarily large negative energy by using arbitrarily large masses.

But I think that negative energy in gravitational field is useless (it can not stabilize wormholes, allow FTL travel etc.). I'm right?

Bawelna said:
But I think that negative energy in gravitational field is useless (it can not stabilize wormholes, allow FTL travel etc.). I'm right?

But isn't part of your original question. You asked if we can create "negative energy". Since the "zero" of such energy can be defined arbitrarily, then a gravitational potential is as valid as any.

And since when is gravitational field useless? Have you looked a water dam lately?

Zz.

Negative Electrical Energy is what produces the heat output from chemical processes and Negative Nuclear Energy gives us Nuclear Power. Whenever a system Energy drops lower in a potential well, Energy may be available to 'use'.

Writing this post I meant the negative energy that can stabilize wormholes , allow FTL travel , time travel . I ask about the possibility of creating negative energy that would be able to do this.

Bawelna said:
Writing this post I meant the negative energy that can stabilize wormholes , allow FTL travel , time travel . I ask about the possibility of creating negative energy that would be able to do this.

What physics are you using to somehow connect "negative energy" to "...stabilize wormholes , allow FTL travel , time travel..."

Please note that your example of the Casimir energy DOES NOT lead to any of these things.

Zz.

So it is impossible?

Bawelna said:
So it is impossible?
According to all known and reasonably conjectured physics (which is the only kind we discuss here), yes, it is impossible.

It possible that some new physics will be discovered in the future changes this... But it's also possible that some new physics will be discovered in the future that allows purple fairies to materialize out of this thin air. Without a well-constructed candidate theory and some experimental evidence, both possibilities are equally idle speculation.

This thread is closed.

Likes davenn and kolleamm

1. What is negative energy in physics?

Negative energy in physics refers to a theoretical concept in which the total energy of a system or particle is less than its minimum possible energy. This is in contrast to positive energy, which is the minimum possible energy of a system.

2. Can we create negative energy in the laboratory?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence that suggests we can create negative energy in the laboratory. While some theories suggest that it may be possible, it has not been observed or produced in any experiments to date.

3. How does negative energy relate to the concept of anti-particles?

Negative energy is closely related to the concept of anti-particles, which are particles with the same mass as their corresponding particles but with opposite charge. In some theories, anti-particles are considered to have negative energy, while particles have positive energy.

4. Is negative energy necessary for time travel?

There is currently no scientific evidence that suggests negative energy is necessary for time travel. While some theories propose that negative energy may be involved in creating wormholes or warping space-time, these ideas are still purely theoretical and have not been proven.

5. How is negative energy being used in modern physics research?

Negative energy is a theoretical concept that is being studied and explored in modern physics research. It is being used to better understand the properties of particles and their interactions, as well as to develop new theories and models that could potentially explain the mysteries of the universe.