Does Pushing a Pram Burn More Calories Than Walking Alone?

• Thread starter mrmooo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, a person asked for an ultimate formula to calculate the calories burnt by pushing a pram while walking at 3mph, taking into account variable speed and inclination. However, this formula would require information about the friction force of the pram and the efficiency of the human body in converting food energy into mechanical work. It would also need to factor in the energy input required to maintain the additional output of mechanical energy.
mrmooo
Hi there
I have a bit of an stupid question for you, I'm not a physics buff so please go easy on me.

I have been talking to a friend who has had a baby and she claims walking pushing a pram or walking without a pram burn the same amount of calories which I guess is very wrong... however I can't really tell her how pushing an extra weight (the weight of the baby and the pram itself) impacts the workout

I guess speed and inclination have to be taken into account

so here is my question, is there anyone who would be able to give me the ultimate formula to calculate calories burnt by pushing a pram say walking at 3mph keeping in mind variable speed and inclination?

thank you so much for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
mrmooo said:
so here is my question, is there anyone who would be able to give me the ultimate formula to calculate calories burnt by pushing a pram say walking at 3mph keeping in mind variable speed and inclination?
Not unless you can tell us what friction force there is for this pram and how efficient the human body is. Friction should be constant at 3mph but as it goes faster it may also increase as the speed increases due to air resistance, depending on its shape. That is something you would have to measure.

But then you would have to factor in what energy input is required to produce the energy required to maintain that additional output of mechanical energy.

The formula would be: Fv = ηP were P is the power consumption, η is the efficiency of the human body in converting food energy into mechanical work, v is the speed and F is the force of friction - ie the force required to maintain a constant speed for the pram.

AM

1. What is "Pushing Prams the Formula"?

"Pushing Prams the Formula" is a scientific concept that refers to the optimal way to push a pram or stroller. It takes into account factors such as the weight of the pram, the terrain, and the strength and energy required from the person pushing the pram.

2. What is the purpose of studying "Pushing Prams the Formula"?

The purpose of studying "Pushing Prams the Formula" is to improve the efficiency and comfort of pushing a pram, which can benefit both the person pushing the pram and the child inside. It can also help prevent injuries and strain on the body.

3. How is "Pushing Prams the Formula" determined or calculated?

"Pushing Prams the Formula" is determined through scientific research and experiments. Factors such as the weight of the pram, the angle and force of pushing, and the terrain are taken into account to create a formula that can be used to determine the most efficient way to push a pram.

4. Are there different formulas for different types of prams?

Yes, there may be different formulas for different types of prams. Factors such as the weight and design of the pram may affect the optimal way to push it. It is important to consider the specific pram being used when applying the formula.

5. Can "Pushing Prams the Formula" be applied to other types of objects, such as wheelchairs or carts?

Yes, the principles of "Pushing Prams the Formula" can also be applied to other types of objects that need to be pushed, such as wheelchairs or carts. However, the formula may need to be adjusted to take into account the specific weight and design of the object being pushed.