Does putting a hydrogen atom in a box mix angular momentum states?

In summary: The fact that they're not eigenstates of ##L_z## or ##L^2## doesn't mean that these expectation values can't be calculated, it just means that they won't be "pure" for any pure eigenstate.In summary, placing a hydrogen atom in a box with boundary conditions depending on both theta and phi will break spherical symmetry, making n, l, and ml no longer guaranteed to be good quantum numbers. The new solutions will be a linear combination of all the |n,l,ml> states and the states that are eigenstates of the new Hamiltonian will change. While the expectation values of L2 and Lz can still be calculated, they will not be "pure" for any pure eigenstate.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you put a hydrogen atom in a box (##\psi=0## on the walls of the box), spherical symmetry will be broken so ##n##,##l##,##m_l## are no longer guaranteed to be good quantum numbers. In general, the new solutions will be a linear combination of all the ##|n,l,m_l\rangle## states. I know that ##l## and ##m_l## are good quantum numbers whenever the potential or boundary conditions are spherically symmetric (only depend on the radial coordinate). I know the box boundary condition depends on both ##\theta## and ##\phi## in spherical coordinates. Is that enough to conclude that ##l## and ##m_l## no longer good quantum numbers?

The reason I'm unsure is that the act of putting a box around the hydrogen atom doesn't feel like it would torque the wavefunction (maybe shear it, but not torque it), so it seems weird that the expectation value of the angular momentum should change. So, I would expect ##\langle L^2 \rangle## to still be ##l(l+1)## and ##\langle L_z \rangle## to still be ##\hbar m_l##. Is this even possible, if the wavefunctions are a linear combination of different ##|l,m_l \rangle## states? Am I talking nonsense? Sorry!

Physics news on Phys.org
Twigg said:
The reason I'm unsure is that the act of putting a box around the hydrogen atom doesn't feel like it would torque the wavefunction (maybe shear it, but not torque it), so it seems weird that the expectation value of the angular momentum should change
Change from what? There is no single expectation value of angular momentum that must always be the case if spherical symmetry is not broken. Different states can have different expectation values of angular momentum. That will still be true with your different boundary condition.

What will change is which states are eigenstates of the new Hamiltonian that you have induced by making the boundary a box instead of a sphere.

Twigg said:
the act of putting a box around the hydrogen atom doesn't feel like it would torque the wavefunction
Are you envisioning actually taking a hydrogen atom that was in a spherical cavity and putting it in a box-shaped cavity? Of course you could do this, and you could do it without applying any torque to the atom (at least in principle), but that doesn't seem to be what you're envisioning in the first part of your post. There it just seems like you're asking what the effect of the different boundary conditions will be on the space of solutions. That's a different question.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and Twigg
PeterDonis said:
What will change is which states are eigenstates of the new Hamiltonian that you have induced by making the boundary a box instead of a sphere.
PeterDonis said:
Are you envisioning actually taking a hydrogen atom that was in a spherical cavity and putting it in a box-shaped cavity? Of course you could do this, and you could do it without applying any torque to the atom (at least in principle), but that doesn't seem to be what you're envisioning in the first part of your post. There it just seems like you're asking what the effect of the different boundary conditions will be on the space of solutions. That's a different question.
Oh, yeah that makes sense. I confused the eigenstates of the atom-in-a-box with the non-stationary states you would get by starting with a hydrogen atom in free space in an eigenstate and "turning on" the box boundary condition. The one has no bearing on the other. I think that settles it. Thanks!

Edit: To clarify, I'm now feeling confident that the atom-in-a-box eigenstates would be linear combinations of ##|l,m_l\rangle##'s for different ##l##'s and ##m_l##'s.

Likes vanhees71

1. How does putting a hydrogen atom in a box affect its angular momentum states?

When a hydrogen atom is placed in a box, its angular momentum states become mixed. This is because the confinement of the atom in the box restricts its movement and changes its energy levels, leading to a mixing of its angular momentum states.

2. What is the significance of mixing angular momentum states in a hydrogen atom?

The mixing of angular momentum states in a hydrogen atom has important implications for its electronic and vibrational properties. It can affect the atom's energy levels, spectral lines, and even its chemical reactivity.

3. Can the mixing of angular momentum states in a hydrogen atom be controlled?

Yes, the mixing of angular momentum states in a hydrogen atom can be controlled by changing the size and shape of the box in which it is confined. This allows for the manipulation of the atom's energy levels and angular momentum states.

4. How does the mixing of angular momentum states in a hydrogen atom relate to quantum mechanics?

The mixing of angular momentum states in a hydrogen atom is a result of the principles of quantum mechanics. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously, and confinement in a box can cause these states to mix and interact with each other.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the mixing of angular momentum states in a hydrogen atom?

Yes, understanding the mixing of angular momentum states in a hydrogen atom has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It can help in the development of new materials and technologies, as well as in the study of chemical reactions and atomic structures.