Does Quantum Mechanics Explain the Fuzziness in Light Reflection?

In summary, Feynman discusses the classical and quantum views of light, and explains that the apparent position of where the light comes from is always affected by diffraction.
MikeGomez
From this video of a Feynman lecture:

At 39:30 he (Feynman) draws a line from the eye to the mirror, and then continues the line through the mirror, to represent where the image appears to come from (it appears to come from behind the mirror). Here he is showing the classical way of thinking of a light ray. Here the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection are the same.

Now as he explains the quantum mechanical view, at 41:40 he draws a path located at the left side of the mirror, as one of many paths the light can take (one of many possible probability amplitude contributions).

He continues to draw more paths that the light might take, but now I have my question. If the light might have taken another path than from the center of the mirror (where angle of incidence and angle of reflection the same), it seems to me that the apparent position of where the light comes from, would be shifted, and therefore wouldn't that cause our view of the image to be fuzzy or blurry?

I hope my question is clear. I am not questioning the math of quantum mechanics. I understand that it is quite accurate. I just don’t see the logic in the interpretation of this particular example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am by no stretch particularly knowledgeable on this but I think it likely that this is one of those "sum of all possible paths" things where for practical purposes, all the other paths cancel each other out.

phinds said:
... I think it likely that this is one of those "sum of all possible paths" things where for practical purposes, all the other paths cancel each other out.

The other paths don't always cancel out. There are many paths with a non-zero probability.

In fact, later in the video he demonstrates that you can take out the center of the mirror and still receive an image. The "sum of all possible paths" that you mentioned is changed such that much of the light from the left edge no longer gets canceled out.

It's important to realize that these concepts did not originate with quantum mechanics, or with Feynman. Classical optics was being studied with the aid of Huygens principle a hundred years earlier. Later, Feynman and others realized they could also be usefully applied to QM. The present question in fact relates to classical optics and not QM.

it seems to me that the apparent position of where the light comes from, would be shifted, and therefore wouldn't that cause our view of the image to be fuzzy or blurry?
Yes, this is diffraction, which for a finite mirror is always present. The width of the diffraction pattern depends on the wavelength of the light and the size of the mirror.

So the effect of the contribution for various paths is a diffraction pattern, instead of a blurring of the image.

Thanks for the replies folks...

Related to Does Quantum Mechanics Explain the Fuzziness in Light Reflection?

1. What is QM light reflection question?

QM stands for quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. The QM light reflection question refers to the study of how light behaves when it is reflected off a surface at the quantum level.

2. How does quantum mechanics affect light reflection?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of light when it is reflected off a surface. It explains the particle-wave nature of light and how it interacts with matter at the atomic level.

3. What factors influence light reflection in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, there are several factors that influence light reflection, such as the angle of incidence, the properties of the reflecting surface, and the wavelength of light. These factors can affect the intensity and direction of the reflected light.

4. How is light reflection calculated in quantum mechanics?

The calculation of light reflection in quantum mechanics involves using complex mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe the behavior of light particles and their interactions with matter. These calculations can be used to predict the outcome of light reflection experiments.

5. What are the real-world applications of QM light reflection question?

The study of light reflection in quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of advanced optical technologies, such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar cells. It also helps us understand the behavior of light in nature, such as in photosynthesis and bioluminescence.