Does Relativistic Mass Affect the Way We Weigh Things?

In summary: Second, if you have a composite object, such as an object made out of several atoms as you took as an example, what matters for its mass is the total energy it has in its rest frame (this is the mass-energy equivalence). If its parts are moving in the object's rest frame (such as thermal motion of atoms), then also the kinetic energy of the parts (as well as their rest masses and any binding energy) contribute to this mass.
MarkSK
Hi everyone.
I have some questions related to relativistic mass: Does atoms and molecules are affected by this relativistic effects? and does relativistic mass affects the way we weigh things?
What I mean is; (and based on my limited knowledge of Special and General Relativity ) atoms an molecules have more (or less) kinetic energy in relation to temperature and pressure, so, if these particles move then there may be some relativistic effects going on, right?

I know we can calculate the relativistic mass using:

8dccf40d5ea0e15d8b97019f8f49ce9e56bcf8a0

But the tricky thing is the speed of individual atoms (or molecules)

So, the point is, do these relativistic effects affect atoms? and does this affect the way that a chemist might try to weigh a substance?

Beware that I don't know much about relativity, so I'd love to know where is the problem in my reasoning

Physics news on Phys.org
MarkSK said:
does relativistic mass affects the way we weigh things?

No. Relativistic mass has no effect on anything because it's not physical. It's just a definition of a term. Originally researchers thought it might be a genuine relativistic generalization of the concept of mass, but it soon became quite clear that that was not to be the case. That was over 100 years ago. The term stuck, however, and didn't start to disappear from the college-level introductory physics textbooks until the 1990's. Since that time it has virtually disappeared.

So, the point is, do these relativistic effects affect atoms? and does this affect the way that a chemist might try to weigh a substance?

No. The effect is too small for a chemist to have to worry about. It won't show up because the scales used to weigh stuff are not precise enough.

It does effect the energy levels of atomic electrons in the heaviest of atoms to an extent that can be measured.

Mister T said:
No. Relativistic mass has no effect on anything because it's not physical.

Relativistic mass is physical in the same way that energy is physical.

MarkSK said:
When you add energy to an object by heating it, its mass increases. However, as Mister T noted, this effect is too small to be measurable in practice.

Consider a 100 g (0.1 kg) chunk of copper. Heat it enough to raise its temperature by 1000°C, which brings it to just below the melting point if you start from room temperature. Look up the specific heat of copper and calculate the amount of energy added. Then use E = mc2 to calculate the corresponding increase in mass.

How many decimal places of precision would a scale have to have, in order to register this increase?

First of all, I suggest that you read this. It will tell you why physicists today generally do not talk about relativistic mass (short version: it is not very useful as a "mass" and it is in essence just the total energy of an object rescaled by ##1/c^2##).

Second, if you have a composite object, such as an object made out of several atoms as you took as an example, what matters for its mass is the total energy it has in its rest frame (this is the mass-energy equivalence). If its parts are moving in the object's rest frame (such as thermal motion of atoms), then also the kinetic energy of the parts (as well as their rest masses and any binding energy) contribute to this mass.

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Orodruin said:
First of all, I suggest that you read this. It will tell you why physicists today generally do not talk about relativistic mass (short version: it is not very useful as a "mass" and it is in essence just the total energy of an object rescaled by ##1/c^2##).

Thanks, Orodruin, I'll take a look at your post.

1. What is relativistic mass and how does it differ from rest mass?

Relativistic mass is a concept in physics that describes the mass of an object as it approaches the speed of light. It is different from rest mass, which is the mass of an object at rest.

2. Does relativistic mass affect the weight of an object?

Yes, relativistic mass affects the weight of an object. As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its relativistic mass increases, which in turn affects its weight.

3. How does relativistic mass affect the way we weigh things?

Relativistic mass affects the way we weigh things by causing the weight of an object to increase as its speed approaches the speed of light. This effect is known as relativistic mass increase.

4. Is the effect of relativistic mass increase significant in everyday life?

No, the effect of relativistic mass increase is not significant in everyday life. It is only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those seen in particle accelerators.

5. Can we measure the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light?

Yes, we can measure the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light using specialized equipment, such as particle accelerators. This effect has been observed and confirmed through experiments.