Does School Name Really Matter for Joe Student?

In summary, the conversation is about the importance of school names and the stress of choosing between SFSU, UC Berkeley, and Stanford. The speaker has a good GPA but is missing a course required by the prestigious schools, causing a delay in graduation. They question if it truly matters where they obtain their electrical engineering degree, given their experience and qualifications. The responder suggests that achieving good grades is more important than the name of the school.

What kind of engineering degree did you get?

• Prestigious ( Stanford, Georgia, OSU, etc..

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Public (Any old accredited state college)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Private. (still abet accredited)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Dropout (steve jobs type, programmer...)

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
publicboolean
School names matter!?

I need help bad. I'm stuck in the college mentality and I'm hoping someone can snap me out of it. I'm so stressed about which school i should get into that it's eating my time up studying physics. Here's my situation. I'm ready to transfer to San Francisco State University this Spring 2014. Although, I really want to put my app in at UC Berkeley or Stanford but they require all the way up to Linear Algebra to even be considered for admission. The timing of my life led me to finish everything except Linear Algebra, including all my Gen Ed at a weird time of year (70+ credits already with 3.78 gpa). That means if I want a "prestigious name" school, I need to wait until next fall, to be eligible to apply for the NEXT fall 2015!. That puts me graduating about 2017!. All because I wanted to wait for a hotshot school that may or may not even let me in.
OR...I am already accepted to SFSU and begin this spring, roll right into my upper level classes right along with my oddly timed semester of Linear Algebra and graduate sometime by the end of 2015.

My main point... Does it really matter in the real world where I get my electrical engineering degree? I already have 15 years experience as an electronics tech, and prior military with a good record and security clearances. I just want someone to tell me that it doesn't matter, and that i should quit fussing about and go to an average state school like thousands of other people do every year. But, if you are positive that the delay for a chance at UCBerkeley or Stanford is worth it, let me know with some numbers. Real world examples and stuff! (i.e. $$, girls, respect..) Thanks in advance.

Joe Student

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't even know if you'd be . accepted at those schools, waitlisted... ect. The other UC schools may be an option too. UC san Diego has a well represented engineering department and don't require linear be done first, though it's recommended. You should apply for next fall.

publicboolean said:
I need help bad. I'm stuck in the college mentality and I'm hoping someone can snap me out of it. I'm so stressed about which school i should get into that it's eating my time up studying physics. Here's my situation. I'm ready to transfer to San Francisco State University this Spring 2014. Although, I really want to put my app in at UC Berkeley or Stanford but they require all the way up to Linear Algebra to even be considered for admission. The timing of my life led me to finish everything except Linear Algebra, including all my Gen Ed at a weird time of year (70+ credits already with 3.78 gpa). That means if I want a "prestigious name" school, I need to wait until next fall, to be eligible to apply for the NEXT fall 2015!. That puts me graduating about 2017!. All because I wanted to wait for a hotshot school that may or may not even let me in.
OR...I am already accepted to SFSU and begin this spring, roll right into my upper level classes right along with my oddly timed semester of Linear Algebra and graduate sometime by the end of 2015.

My main point... Does it really matter in the real world where I get my electrical engineering degree? I already have 15 years experience as an electronics tech, and prior military with a good record and security clearances. I just want someone to tell me that it doesn't matter, and that i should quit fussing about and go to an average state school like thousands of other people do every year. But, if you are positive that the delay for a chance at UCBerkeley or Stanford is worth it, let me know with some numbers. Real world examples and stuff! (i.e. $$, girls, respect..) Thanks in advance.

Joe Student

It is true that a degree from UC Berkeley sounds impressive but I can guarantee you that a first class degree from San Francisco is better than a second class degree from anywhere.

San Francisco is in the United States, where there are not "first class" and "second class" degrees. That's a UK thing.

I'm aware of where San Francisco is, my presumption being that you don't just "graduate", there's a form of grading system.

Yes, but in the US it is a continuous thing. We don't bin things into classes. In any event, that's not what you said.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, but in the US it is a continuous thing. We don't bin things into classes. In any event, that's not what you said.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

In any case, if my post was unclear what I intended to convey was that it's all well and good getting into a prestigious university but you've also got to achieve good grades. Getting good grades is better than the name of the establishment, within reason.

1. Does the name of the school really affect a student's success?

The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no. The name of the school can have some influence on a student's success, but it is not the only factor. A student's effort, determination, and attitude towards learning also play a significant role in their success. A well-known school may have more resources and opportunities, but ultimately, it is up to the student to make the most out of their education.

2. Are students from prestigious schools more likely to get into top universities?

It is true that students from prestigious schools may have a higher chance of getting into top universities. This is because these schools often have a reputation for academic excellence and may have more resources to prepare students for college admissions. However, admission into top universities is not solely based on the name of the school. Other factors, such as extracurricular activities, essays, and test scores, also play a significant role.

3. Do employers care about the name of the school on a candidate's resume?

The name of the school may catch an employer's attention, but it is not the determining factor in a candidate's employability. Employers are more interested in a candidate's skills, experience, and qualifications. A student's performance, internships, and extracurricular activities can speak volumes about their abilities, regardless of the school they attended.

4. Is it worth paying more for a school with a better reputation?

The decision to pay more for a school with a better reputation ultimately depends on the individual and their goals. A prestigious school may provide more opportunities and networking connections, which can be beneficial in the long run. However, it is essential to consider the cost and whether the investment is worth it for the individual's career goals.

5. Can a student from a lesser-known school be just as successful as one from a prestigious school?

A student's success is not determined solely by the name of the school they attended. There have been many successful individuals who have graduated from lesser-known schools. What matters more is the individual's drive, determination, and willingness to work hard towards their goals. With dedication and hard work, students from any school can achieve success.