Does spacetime lose its determinism in third dimension?

In summary, the conversation discusses how Shroedinger's equation is deterministic in one and two dimensions, but becomes unstable in the third dimension. It is mentioned that in a D-dimensional space, the Coulomb field and potential energy are proportional to 1/r(D-1) and 1/r(D-2) respectively, and this leads to unstable solutions when D>4. The conversation also raises questions about the validity of this result for all forces and if it applies to all cases, and whether a 4-dimensional world has problems in both classical and quantum mechanics.
The Count
In a lecture from a course in QM, it was mentioned that Shroedinger's equation is deterministic in one and two dimensions. But in third dimension it gives unstable solutions, loosing it's determinism.

It was mentioned that "in space of D dimensions Gauss theorem leads to the conclusion that Coulomb field of point charge is proportional to 1/r(D-1) and thus the potential energy is proportional to 1/r(D-2). For D = 4 the potential energy is proportional to 1/r2. This potential when substituted in Shroedinger's equation leads to unstable solution. See Landau-Lifshitz Quantum Mechanics paragraph 35."Fall of a particle to the centre". Unstable solutions arising when D> 4."

I couldn't find any literature on this subject, and I have to say that from the book I could not derive such result.
Is it true for all 4 forces that loose their determinism in 3 dimensions, or just the coulomb (EM) force?
Is "particle falling to the center" a global example, that can represent all cases?
I was wondering if anybody can help on this.

For your help I will attach the specific pages of the book mentioned.
upload_2016-9-25_20-31-44.png

upload_2016-9-25_20-32-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-25_20-29-41.png
    upload_2016-9-25_20-29-41.png
    47 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
D=4, not D=3. 4-dimensional space. Our universe is fine.

A 4-dimensional world leads to problems in Newtonian mechanics already: It means circular orbits are unstable, and every tiny deviation will lead to particles spiraling in, with unclear behavior for "hitting the center". It is not surprising that quantum mechanics has a problem with this as well.

Likes dextercioby

What is spacetime?

Spacetime is a mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space and the dimension of time into a single four-dimensional continuum.

What is determinism?

Determinism is the philosophical concept that all events, including human actions, are ultimately determined by causes external to the will.

Does spacetime lose its determinism in the third dimension?

No, spacetime does not lose its determinism in the third dimension. The concept of determinism applies to all dimensions of spacetime.

Why is the third dimension significant in this question?

The third dimension is significant because it represents the spatial dimension that we are most familiar with in our everyday lives, and it is the dimension that allows for the existence of physical objects and their movements.

What are the implications of spacetime losing its determinism in the third dimension?

If spacetime were to lose its determinism in the third dimension, it would mean that the laws of physics and causality that govern our universe would be fundamentally altered, potentially leading to unpredictable and chaotic behavior in the physical world.