Does temperature change with depth in a fluid?

In summary: Temperature depends on a variety of factors, including the material, its surroundings, and the conditions of the environment.
Cheesycheese213
Hi, so someone probably has already asked this, but does temperature increase or decrease with depth in a fluid? I thought it would decrease since it has more pressure but it is probably wrong, or doesn't make sense. I was confused because the ocean gets colder the deeper you go, but then does the same thing happen with increasing altitude? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I got really confused. Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Cheesycheese213 said:
Hi, so someone probably has already asked this, but does temperature increase or decrease with depth in a fluid? I thought it would decrease since it has more pressure but it is probably wrong, or doesn't make sense. I was confused because the ocean gets colder the deeper you go, but then does the same thing happen with increasing altitude? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I got really confused. Thanks!
There doesn't have to be a single answer, depending on specific situations, but for water in convection, it will tend to be colder lower and warmer higher up. The atmosphere has the opposite because air expands as the pressure drops, resulting in cooling.

russ_watters said:
There doesn't have to be a single answer, depending on specific situations, but for water in convection, it will tend to be colder lower and warmer higher up. The atmosphere has the opposite because air expands as the pressure drops, resulting in cooling.
Ohhhh okay, so it depends on the fluid? Thank you so much a,

Cheesycheese213 said:
Ohhhh okay, so it depends on the fluid? Thank you so much a,
You're welcome, but it isn't just the fluid, it also can depend on specifics of the situation. For example, in most buildings, it is warmer higher up because of stratification; the same reason why liquids are sometimes warmer higher up. That's because for relatively small altitude differences, there isn't enough density change to allow for cooling due to expansion.

Likes Cheesycheese213
As Russ is saying, there is no a priori relationship between temperature and pressure.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and altitude/depth?

The relationship between temperature and altitude/depth is an inverse one. As altitude/depth increases, the temperature decreases. This is due to the fact that as you move higher up in the atmosphere or deeper into the ocean, the air or water becomes less dense and can hold less heat.

2. How does temperature change with increasing altitude/depth?

Temperature decreases with increasing altitude/depth. This is because the air or water molecules are less tightly packed, making it harder for heat to be retained.

3. What is the difference between air and water temperature at the same altitude/depth?

The main difference between air and water temperature at the same altitude/depth is that water has a higher specific heat capacity. This means that it takes more energy to raise the temperature of water compared to air. As a result, water temperature changes more slowly than air temperature.

4. How does temperature affect the density of air and water?

Temperature has a direct effect on the density of air and water. As temperature increases, the molecules in the air and water move faster, causing them to spread out and decrease in density. As temperature decreases, the molecules slow down and become more tightly packed, increasing the density.

5. Why do airplanes and submarines have different temperature conditions at high altitudes/depths?

Airplanes and submarines have different temperature conditions at high altitudes/depths because they are designed to regulate the temperature inside their cabins or hulls. Airplanes use heating and cooling systems to maintain a comfortable temperature for passengers, while submarines use climate control systems to keep the interior temperature stable for the crew.