Entropy of a Gas Under Pressure: Does Temperature Trump Pressure?

In summary: The remaining steps involve using the ideal gas law and the Sackur-Tetrode equation to substitute for $V$ and $T$ in the equation above.
rancam
Can anyone please answer this question? I have read that increased temperature increases entropy and increased pressure decreases entropy ,for a gas.And vice versa.decreased temperature decreases entropy and decreased pressure increases entropy.Can anyone please tell me for a gas under pressure that is compressed further does the increase in temperature increase the entropy more than the increase in pressure reduces it and for a gas under pressure that expands does the decrease in temperature decrease the entropy more than the decrease in pressure increases it.In other words does temperature trump pressure or vice versa.
And does it make any difference whether the gas (which is already under pressure) is compressed or expanded?
Thanx, RanCam

Science news on Phys.org
Try looking at the Sackur-Tetrode equation, which gives an expression for the entropy of an ideal gas. That, together with the ideal gas law (PV = N kT) should allow you to express the entropy in any terms you want.

rancam said:
Can anyone please answer this question? I have read that increased temperature increases entropy and increased pressure decreases entropy ,for a gas.And vice versa.decreased temperature decreases entropy and decreased pressure increases entropy.Can anyone please tell me for a gas under pressure that is compressed further does the increase in temperature increase the entropy more than the increase in pressure reduces it and for a gas under pressure that expands does the decrease in temperature decrease the entropy more than the decrease in pressure increases it.In other words does temperature trump pressure or vice versa.
And does it make any difference whether the gas (which is already under pressure) is compressed or expanded?
Thanx, RanCam
If the compression or expansion is done adiabatically and reversibly, the entropy remains constant. If the compression or expansion is done adiabatically and irreversibly, the entropy increases.

In general, for an ideal gas, $$dS=nC_p\frac{dT}{T}-nR\frac{dP}{P}$$

Chestermiller said:
If the compression or expansion is done adiabatically and reversibly, the entropy remains constant. If the compression or expansion is done adiabatically and irreversibly, the entropy increases.

In general, for an ideal gas, $$dS=nC_p\frac{dT}{T}-nR\frac{dP}{P}$$

Could you elaborate on how this was obtained? Just the first step or two. I will try the rest.

CrazyNinja said:
Could you elaborate on how this was obtained? Just the first step or two. I will try the rest.
For a change between two closely neighboring equilibrium states of an ideal gas, the changes in enthalpy, entropy, and volume are related by
$$dH=TdS+VdP=nC_pdT$$
This is the first step.

1. What is entropy of a gas under pressure?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In the case of a gas under pressure, it refers to the degree of disorder of the molecules within the gas.

2. How does temperature affect the entropy of a gas under pressure?

Temperature has a direct effect on the entropy of a gas under pressure. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the gas molecules also increases, causing them to move more rapidly and increase the disorder of the system.

3. Does pressure have an impact on the entropy of a gas?

Yes, pressure also affects the entropy of a gas. When the pressure of a gas increases, the molecules are forced closer together, resulting in a decrease in the available space for the molecules to move, leading to a decrease in the entropy.

4. Which factor, temperature or pressure, has a greater influence on the entropy of a gas?

In general, temperature has a greater impact on the entropy of a gas compared to pressure. This is because temperature affects the kinetic energy of the molecules, while pressure mainly affects the volume of the gas.

5. Can temperature ever outweigh pressure in terms of entropy of a gas under pressure?

Yes, in some cases, temperature can outweigh pressure in terms of the entropy of a gas. For example, if the temperature is significantly increased, the increase in entropy due to the higher kinetic energy of the molecules can outweigh the decrease in entropy caused by the increase in pressure.