Does the 1 Second after the Big Bang = 1 second now?

In summary, time dilation from general relativity is responsible for the apparent slowdown in the time scale near a black hole.
Pjpic
When I read that conditions were such and such 1 to .05 seconds after the big bang, is that duration somehow longer than 1/2 second is now (maybe because of the difference in density or like the twin paradox?)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean one second after the Big Bang? There is no before the Big Bang.

Likes Pjpic
Khashishi said:
Do you mean one second after the Big Bang? There is no before the Big Bang.
sorry S/H/B "After"

Pjpic said:
sorry S/H/B "After"
I fixed your thread title for you. :smile:

The duration of 1/2 second right after the big bang is the same as the duration of 1/2 second now.

Khashishi said:
The duration of 1/2 second right after the big bang is the same as the duration of 1/2 second now.
Cosmic rays decay at a different rate ( I think) but, from your answer, that is a different type of situation?

I'm not sure your question is well posed.

It is true that two clocks that are synchronised, moved apart, and brought together again may no longer be synchronised. But how would you bring a clock from one second after the Big Bang together with one now in order to compare them? There's no meaningful way to do that, so I'm afraid that there's no physical way to ask your question, let alone answer it.

Ibix said:
I'm not sure your question is well posed.

It is true that two clocks that are synchronised, moved apart, and brought together again may no longer be synchronised. But how would you bring a clock from one second after the Big Bang together with one now in order to compare them? There's no meaningful way to do that, so I'm afraid that there's no physical way to ask your question, let alone answer it.
I think I read time seems to almost stop in a black hole. So I was wondering if the same was true for the big bang and if when it is said something happens from .5 seconds to 1 second after the big bang what frame of reference that is in.

Pjpic said:
I think I read time seems to almost stop in a black hole.
Either you misunderstood what you read or it's wrong. Unless you tell us what you read where, we have no way of knowing which it is.

Pjpic said:
Cosmic rays decay at a different rate ( I think)

What makes you think that?

Pjpic said:
when it is said something happens from .5 seconds to 1 second after the big bang what frame of reference that is in.

It is in the standard coordinates used in cosmology. Time in these coordinates is the same as time elapsed on the clocks of "comoving" observers, i.e., observers who see the universe as homogeneous and isotropic.

Nugatory said:
Either you misunderstood what you read or it's wrong. Unless you tell us what you read where, we have no way of knowing which it is.
Pretty sure he's referring to time dilation from general relativity.

The fault in logic here is that from the perspective out an outside observer, time moves way slower close to a black hole. From the frame of reference of something already in the hole, time moves normally. You can't use the same logic when applying to the universe as a whole because we're in the same reference frame.

Related to Does the 1 Second after the Big Bang = 1 second now?

What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a tiny point with infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

What happened in the first second after the Big Bang?

In the first second after the Big Bang, the universe underwent a rapid period of expansion known as inflation. This was followed by the production of fundamental particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, and the formation of hydrogen and helium nuclei.

Does the 1 second after the Big Bang really equal 1 second now?

The concept of time as we know it did not exist in the early universe, so it is not accurate to say that 1 second after the Big Bang is equivalent to 1 second now. Time is relative and can be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity, so the passage of time in the early universe would have been very different from what we experience now.

How do scientists know what happened 1 second after the Big Bang?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models and observations from experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider to understand the early universe and the processes that occurred in the first second after the Big Bang. They also study the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the early universe, to gather information about its early stages.

Will we ever know for sure what happened 1 second after the Big Bang?

As our technology and understanding of the universe continues to advance, we may be able to gain more insights and evidence about the first second after the Big Bang. However, it is unlikely that we will ever have a complete and definitive understanding of this moment in time, as it is impossible to observe directly and our current theories may continue to evolve and change.