Does the Bohr model go against classical Electromagnetism

In summary: So no emission. In summary, the Bohr model was an intermediate step between classical E&M and quantum mechanics, and while it did provide some explanation for the line spectrum of hydrogen, it did not fully address why electrons do not emit energy in atoms. For a complete explanation, quantum field theory is needed, but basic quantum mechanics explains that for an atom to emit energy, it must drop to a lower energy state, and the ground state does not emit.
Moazin Khatri
I was told in high school that Rutherford's atomic model was wrong because an electron which is in acceleration must release energy. That's how electromagnetic waves are made. and then I was told that Bohr gave his model and solved this problem. By making energy quantized. But what I really don't understand is how this solves the problem ... Yes it would surely tell us why hydrogen atom gives line spectrum but it doesn't tell us why electron doesn't emit energy. It means either electromagnetic theories are wrong or our understanding of atom is incomplete. In the bohr model, we have an electron which has some mass and revolves around nucleus. It is indeed under acceleration and if we apply electromagnetism it should release energy. I'm sorry if my picture is incomplete or wrong but that's what i was taught. You're more than welcome to correct me and answer me . I'll be grateful to you if you help me clear my concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moazin Khatri said:
I was told in high school that Rutherford's atomic model was wrong because an electron which is in acceleration must release energy. That's how electromagnetic waves are made. and then I was told that Bohr gave his model and solved this problem. By making energy quantized. But what I really don't understand is how this solves the problem ... Yes it would surely tell us why hydrogen atom gives line spectrum but it doesn't tell us why electron doesn't emit energy. It means either electromagnetic theories are wrong or our understanding of atom is incomplete. In the bohr model, we have an electron which has some mass and revolves around nucleus. It is indeed under acceleration and if we apply electromagnetism it should release energy. I'm sorry if my picture is incomplete or wrong but that's what i was taught. You're more than welcome to correct me and answer me . I'll be grateful to you if you help me clear my concept.

The Bohr model was an intermediate step between classical E&M and quantum mechanics.

Other than saying "classical E&M does not apply here" the Bohr model did not give a complete explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_model

Dr. Courtney said:
The Bohr model was an intermediate step between classical E&M and quantum mechanics.

Other than saying "classical E&M does not apply here" the Bohr model did not give a complete explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohr_model
Thanks. Does Quantum mechanics provide a complete explanation as to why electrons do release energy when they are under acceleration in a wire and why they do not when they are in an atom?

For a complete explanation, you need quantum field theory. But for a simple answer, basic quantum mechanics is enough. For an atom to emit, it needs to drop to a lower energy state. The ground state is the lowest energy state, so an atom in the ground state can't emit. The lowest energy state of a wire is one in which the conduction band electrons aren't moving.

1. Does the Bohr model contradict classical Electromagnetism?

No, the Bohr model does not contradict classical Electromagnetism. In fact, it is an application of classical Electromagnetism to explain the structure of atoms.

2. How does the Bohr model relate to classical Electromagnetism?

The Bohr model is based on the principles of classical Electromagnetism, specifically the concept of an electron orbiting around a positively charged nucleus due to the attraction between opposite charges.

3. Is the Bohr model still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, the Bohr model is still relevant in modern physics as it provides a simplified understanding of atomic structure and is often used as a starting point for more complex quantum mechanical models.

4. What are the limitations of the Bohr model in terms of classical Electromagnetism?

The Bohr model is limited in its ability to fully describe the behavior of electrons in atoms, as it does not account for the wave-like nature of electrons and their interactions with each other.

5. How does the Bohr model impact our understanding of classical Electromagnetism?

The Bohr model showed that classical Electromagnetism could be applied to explain the behavior of electrons in atoms, leading to a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of Electromagnetism and its role in shaping the structure of matter.