Does the Equation (e2Pi i)i = 1 Have a Geometric Meaning?

• Thread starter abhi2005singh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fault
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (e2Pi i)i = 1 and highlights two main issues: the incorrect arithmetic used and the assumption that exponentiation is single-valued. The conversation also explores the importance of order of evaluation in complex numbers and how it differs from the properties of real numbers.
abhi2005singh
(e2Pi i)i = 1
(e2Pi i)i = e(2Pi i)*i = e -2Pi2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I see two problems:

(1) Your arithmetic doesn't make sense to me
(2) You are assuming exponentiation is single-valued

(compare with the argument 1 = sqrt(1) = -1)

abhi2005singh said:
(e2Pi i)i = 1
(e2Pi i)i = e(2Pi i)*i = e -2Pi2
Multiplying [itex]\pi i[/itex] by i does not square the [itex]\pi[/itex]!

What you should have is [itex](e^{2\pi i})^i= e^{-2\pi}[/itex]. Now, what reason do you have to say that that is equal to 1? ([itex]1^x= 1[/itex] only for x real.)

e to i times pi is a half circle back to -1, e to i times two pi would circle the rest of the way around to 1.
Is it necessary to invoke geometrical meaning. Can't simple algebra prove the point? Anyways, I did not understand how this explains the problem.

Multiplying LaTeX Code: \\pi i by i does not square the LaTeX Code: \\pi !

What you should have is LaTeX Code: (e^{2\\pi i})^i= e^{-2\\pi} . Now, what reason do you have to say that that is equal to 1? (LaTeX Code: 1^x= 1 only for x real.)
I got my mistake. Thanks for pointing out.
1^x= 1 only for x real. This does not seem to be correct. I tried using Mathematica also. It gave result 1.

You are assuming exponentiation is single-valued
(compare with the argument 1 = sqrt(1) = -1)
I fail to understand why u didn't give one multi-valued exponentiation function to drive home ur point.

From whatever analysis I have done for this problem, I have reached to the following conclusion.
For an expression like xa*b, u cannot write it as (xa)b when a and/or b are complex numbers. The order of evaluation matters. (xa)b can be different than (xb)a. The product "a*b" HAS to be evaluated so as not to arrive at contradictions and to make evaluation unique. Such order of evaluation is frequent in many branches of mathematics. I will give an example.

Fallacy: e-2Pi = exp[2Pi*i2] = [exp(2Pi*i)]i = 1i = 1.

Consider the following which will highlight that order of evaluation matters.

(ei)2Pi*i = 0.00186744 = e(-2Pi2)

(e2Pi*i)i = 1.

You get two different results in the two cases. However, the result will be unique if the product in the exponent is determined FIRST. The expressions

(ei)2Pi*i = 0.00186744 = e(-2Pi2)

and

(e2Pi*i)i = 1

both are correct as here we have explicitly mentioned the order of evaluation. The problems starts only when we write
x(a*b) = (xa)b = (xb)a.

Here we have CHANGED the order of evaluation and then we are expecting for getting same answers.

The concept of
xa*b = (xa)b = (xb)a
is borrowed from the properties of real no.s which complex no.s are not bound to follow.

Above statements are based on my own analysis of the problem and hence may or may not be correct.

Any corrections/improvements/comments/suggestions please.

The geometric meaning pops to mind for me because I first learned about the identity written as e^ix = cos x + i sin x, which for pi gives -1.

200px-Euler%27s_formula.svg.png

Like that.

Related to Does the Equation (e2Pi i)i = 1 Have a Geometric Meaning?

What is a fault and how does it occur?

A fault is a fracture or break in the Earth's crust where movement occurs. It occurs when the rocks on either side of a fracture move relative to each other.

What are the different types of faults?

There are three main types of faults: normal, reverse, and strike-slip. Normal faults occur when the hanging wall moves down relative to the footwall. Reverse faults occur when the hanging wall moves up relative to the footwall. Strike-slip faults occur when the rocks on either side slide horizontally past each other.

How do scientists locate and map faults?

Scientists use a variety of methods to locate and map faults, including studying surface features, analyzing seismic data, and conducting field surveys. They also use tools like GPS and LiDAR to accurately map fault locations.

What are some potential hazards associated with faults?

Faults can cause earthquakes, which can result in damage to buildings and infrastructure. They can also trigger landslides and tsunamis. Faults can also impact the flow of groundwater and oil, leading to potential contamination.

How do faults affect the Earth's surface and landscape?

Faults can create dramatic changes in the Earth's surface and landscape. They can form mountains, valleys, and canyons, and can also expose different layers of rock. Faults can also create distinctive features like fault scarps and grabens.