Geometrical meaning of magnitude of vector product

In summary, the geometrical meaning of $$|\vec v \times \vec w | $$ is the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors as adjacent sides. It is related to the perpendicular distance from point ##V## to the line passing through ##O## and ##W##, but also involves the magnitude of ##\vec{OW}##. The cross product is a (pseudo)vector and its magnitude is of dimension L, not L^2 as for the area. One can also use the unit vector \hat w along the line ##OW## to find the distance from that line to point ##V##.
songoku
TL;DR Summary
I have notes that tells me one of the geometrical meaning of magnitude of vector product is related to perpendicular distance. Please see the diagram below
1629344653128.png

My notes says that the geometrical meaning of $$|\vec v \times \vec w | $$ is the perpendicular distance from point ##V## to line passing through ##O## and ##W## (all vectors are position vectors)

$$|\vec v \times \vec w | = |\vec v| |\vec w| \sin \theta$$

From the picture, the perpendicular distance is ##|\vec v| \sin \theta ## but from the equation, there is extra ##|\vec w|## so it seems to me that the geometrical meaning is not the perpendicular distance but more like the multiplication of perpendicular distance from point ##V## to line ##OW## and magnitude of ##\vec{OW}##

Am I misunderstood something?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of v x w is the area of the parallelogram. It's "related to" the height in the sense that the area is the height multiplied by |w|.

Likes songoku
mfb said:
The magnitude of v x w is the area of the parallelogram. It's "related to" the height in the sense that the area is the height multiplied by |w|.
I understand the other geometrical meaning is area of parallelogram but is it correct to say that one of the geometrical meaning is (only) perpendicular distance from a point to a line (without stating there is multiplication with magnitude of the line) ?

Because if I am asked to find perpendicular distance from ##V## to line ##OW##, I would calculate ##|\vec v| \sin \theta##, not ##|\vec v| |\vec w| \sin \theta##

Thanks

songoku said:
more like the multiplication of perpendicular distance from point ##V## to line ##OW## and magnitude of ##\vec{OW}##

Am I misunderstood something?
You are correct. Your notes must have missed something.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much mfb and FactChecker

So the magnitude of the cross product is the area of the parallelogram with the two vectors as adjacent sides.

Likes songoku
FactChecker said:
So the magnitude of the cross product is the area of the parallelogram with the two vectors as adjacent sides.
And what is interesting: the cross product is a (pseudo)vector and its magnitude should be of dimension L but not L^2 as it is so for the area :)

songoku said:
I understand the other geometrical meaning is area of parallelogram but is it correct to say that one of the geometrical meaning is (only) perpendicular distance from a point to a line (without stating there is multiplication with magnitude of the line) ?

Because if I am asked to find perpendicular distance from ##V## to line ##OW##, I would calculate ##|\vec v| \sin \theta##, not ##|\vec v| |\vec w| \sin \theta##

Thanks
Use the unit vector [itex]\hat w[/itex] along the line ##OW##.
(Indeed, what role would the length of the segment ##OW## play
to find the distance from that line to point ##V##?)

1. What is the geometrical meaning of the magnitude of a vector product?

The magnitude of a vector product represents the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors that are being multiplied. It can also be interpreted as the product of the lengths of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

2. How is the magnitude of a vector product related to the direction of the resulting vector?

The magnitude of a vector product is directly proportional to the sine of the angle between the two vectors being multiplied. This means that as the angle between the vectors increases, the magnitude of the resulting vector also increases.

3. Can the magnitude of a vector product ever be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of a vector product can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative value for the sine of the angle. However, the direction of the resulting vector will always be perpendicular to the plane formed by the two vectors, regardless of the sign of the magnitude.

4. How does the magnitude of a vector product change when the two vectors are parallel?

When the two vectors are parallel, the magnitude of the resulting vector is equal to the product of the lengths of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. Since the angle between parallel vectors is 0 degrees, the sine of the angle is also 0, resulting in a magnitude of 0 for the vector product.

5. Is there a relationship between the magnitude of a vector product and the dot product of the two vectors?

Yes, the magnitude of a vector product is related to the dot product of the two vectors through the equation ||a x b|| = ||a|| ||b|| sinθ, where a and b are the two vectors, ||a x b|| is the magnitude of the vector product, ||a|| and ||b|| are the lengths of the two vectors, and θ is the angle between them. This relationship shows that the magnitude of a vector product is directly proportional to the sine of the angle between the vectors, while the dot product is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle.