Does the ionic background of a crystal affect the index?

In summary, the index of refraction in a crystal is typically calculated using the Lorentz oscillator model, which assumes a stationary nucleus and examines the electronic response to an incident field. However, there may be a small contribution to the index from the ionic nuclei in the background, which is often neglected. To calculate this contribution, one could treat the nucleus and electron as a two-body problem responding to the incident field. In situations where the effect of the nuclei becomes non-negligible, such as in the IR region, the ionic contribution may be present.
nmbr28albert
In a crystal, the index of refraction is always calculated in the Lorentz oscillator model by examining the electronic response to an incident field and assuming a stationary nucleus. Is there however, any contribution to the index from the ionic nuclei in the background? I assume since I've never seen it discussed that any effect it may have would be very small, but if you were to calculate it how would you go about it? Treat the nucleus and electron as a two-body problem responding to the incident field? Also, are there any situations where the effect of the nuclei becomes non-negligible?

Physics news on Phys.org
nmbr28Albert said:
In a crystal, the index of refraction is always calculated in the Lorentz oscillator model by examining the electronic response to an incident field and assuming a stationary nucleus. Is there however, any contribution to the index from the ionic nuclei in the background? I assume since I've never seen it discussed that any effect it may have would be very small, but if you were to calculate it how would you go about it? Treat the nucleus and electron as a two-body problem responding to the incident field? Also, are there any situations where the effect of the nuclei becomes non-negligible?
In Kittel's book, Solid State Physics, he shows a graph of polarizability as a function of frequency (for a typical dielectric material). If I remember it correctly, at low frequencies, there is a molecular contribution that drops out as one goes to higher frequencies, then an ionic one that drops out at higher frequencies, and then finally the electronic contribution that is present at visible frequencies that is responsible for the index of refraction of visible light. ... editing...I do think the ionic contribution is present in at least portions of the IR region.

Last edited:
Likes nmbr28albert
I remember that for an electron gas you even get a singularity at 0 frequency which gets cancellen by the contributions from the nuclear background.

1. Does the ionic background of a crystal refer to the type of ions present?

Yes, the ionic background of a crystal refers to the type of ions present in the crystal lattice. These ions can have a significant impact on the physical and chemical properties of the crystal.

2. How does the ionic background of a crystal affect its index?

The ionic background of a crystal can affect its index by influencing the crystal lattice structure and the interactions between the ions and photons. This can lead to changes in the crystal's refractive index, which determines how light travels through the crystal.

3. Can the ionic background of a crystal be altered?

Yes, the ionic background of a crystal can be altered through processes such as doping, which involves introducing impurities into the crystal lattice. This can change the type and concentration of ions present and therefore affect the crystal's properties, including its index.

4. Does the ionic background of a crystal affect all types of light?

Yes, the ionic background of a crystal can affect all types of light, including visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation. This is because all these forms of light interact with the crystal's lattice structure and the ions present in the lattice.

5. Is the ionic background of a crystal the only factor that affects its index?

No, the ionic background of a crystal is not the only factor that affects its index. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and external electric or magnetic fields can also influence the crystal's index. Additionally, the crystal's chemical composition and crystallographic structure can also play a role in determining its index.