Does the picture change if we turn a thin lens around

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of flipping a thin lens around 180 degrees on the resulting image. It is noted that for perfectly symmetric lenses, the image would not change, but for asymmetric lenses, such as a plano-convex lens, the image would change. The reason for this is the difference in how light beams are refracted when entering and leaving the lens. It is also mentioned that different shaped lenses are used to reduce aberrations in the image, and a rule of thumb is to avoid light rays hitting the lens at too large of an angle. The conversation ends with a link to an image of an optical setup.
HastiM
Hello,

suppose we are given a thin lens and consider an image of some object formed by that lens. I am wondering what would happen to the image if the thin lens is flipped around (180 degrees)? Of course, if the lens is perfectly symmetric -like for a bi-konvex lens- then the picture should not change at all. But what if the lens is not symmetric, e.g. as for a plano-convex lens?

I think that the light beams should bend differently (but not very much differently). Is that true? The reason why I expect the light beams to bend differently, is because the light beams are refracted twice by the lens. First, when they enter the lens, and second when they leave the lens. So, if we change the order of these two refractions, the light beams should bend differently in general. But on the other hand, because the lens is thin, the light beams would behave almost the same. Please tell me if I am wrong...

Best

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, the image would change. The purpose of different shaped lenses is to reduce the aberrations in the image caused by the lenses. A rule of thumb is that you don't want the light rays to hit the surface of the lens at too large an angle from the surface normal. Aberrations get bad when the ray hits the surface at a shallow angle (and you also have a lot of reflection). So, if you have a plano-convex lens, you want the plane side on the side that the light is converging more sharply.
I found this image:
6e4c6162546f6f6c732f4d6963726f73636f70652f6d61737465722f446f63732f706c616e6f636f6e7665782e6a7067.jpg

at https://github.com/OpenLabTools/OpenLabTools/wiki/Optical-Setup

Attachments

• 6e4c6162546f6f6c732f4d6963726f73636f70652f6d61737465722f446f63732f706c616e6f636f6e7665782e6a7067.jpg
    6e4c6162546f6f6c732f4d6963726f73636f70652f6d61737465722f446f63732f706c616e6f636f6e7665782e6a7067.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,011
Likes HastiM
Thank you very much! :-)

Related to Does the picture change if we turn a thin lens around

1. What is a thin lens?

A thin lens is a type of optical device that is used to focus or diverge light. It is usually made of transparent material, such as glass or plastic, with curved surfaces that can refract light.

2. How does a thin lens work?

A thin lens works by bending light rays as they pass through its curved surfaces. This bending, also known as refraction, causes the light rays to converge or diverge depending on the shape of the lens. This allows the lens to form an image of an object that is either magnified or reduced in size.

3. What happens when we turn a thin lens around?

If we turn a thin lens around, the direction of the light rays that pass through it will also be reversed. This means that the image formed by the lens will also be reversed. For example, a letter "B" will appear as a "d" when viewed through a lens that has been turned around.

4. Will the picture change if we turn a thin lens around?

Yes, the picture will change if we turn a thin lens around. As mentioned before, the image formed by the lens will be reversed. Additionally, the magnification or reduction of the image may also change, depending on the specific properties of the lens.

5. How does turning a thin lens around affect its focal length?

Turning a thin lens around will not affect its focal length. The focal length of a lens is determined by its curvature and thickness, which remain unchanged even when the lens is turned around. However, the direction of the focal length will change, meaning that the distance at which the lens forms an image will be reversed along with the image itself.