Does the series sum[k=1,inf] 2/(k^2-1) converge or diverge?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the limit comparison test to determine whether the series sum[k=1,inf] 2/(k^2-1) converges or diverges. It is found that the series does not converge due to the undefined k=1 term.
GreenPrint
Determine weather or not the following series converges or diverges.

sum[k=1,inf] 2/(k^2-1)

I applied the limit comparison test with 1/k^2

2* lim k->inf [ 1/(k^2-1) ] /(1/k^2) = 2*lim k->inf k^2/(k^2-1) =H 2

then because

sum[k=1,inf] 1/k^2 is a convergent p-series then sum[k=1,inf] 2/(k^2-1) must also converge by the limit comparison test.

I plugged this into wolfram alpha and it said that the sum does not converge. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

This is what I put into wolfram alpha
sum[n=1,inf] of 2/(k^2-1)

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
Determine weather or not the following series converges or diverges.

sum[k=1,inf] 2/(k^2-1)

I applied the limit comparison test with 1/k^2

2* lim k->inf [ 1/(k^2-1) ] /(1/k^2) = 2*lim k->inf k^2/(k^2-1) =H 2

then because

sum[k=1,inf] 1/k^2 is a convergent p-series then sum[k=1,inf] 2/(k^2-1) must also converge by the limit comparison test.

I plugged this into wolfram alpha and it said that the sum does not converge. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

This is what I put into wolfram alpha
sum[n=1,inf] of 2/(k^2-1)

Oh, I see what you are doing. Do you really mean [n=1,inf]?? n?? And the k=1 term of your series is undefined. Skip it.

so I changed it to
sum[k=1,inf] of 2/(k^2-1)
and it says the sum does not converge

GreenPrint said:
so I changed it to
sum[k=1,inf] of 2/(k^2-1)
and it says the sum does not converge

I told you. The k=1 term is undefined. That's probably WA's problem with that one.

Dick said:
I told you. The k=1 term is undefined. That's probably WA's problem with that one.

Oh. Thanks.

Dick said:
Might be a case of GIGO, or "garbage in, garbage out."

Related to Does the series sum[k=1,inf] 2/(k^2-1) converge or diverge?

1. What is an infinite series in calculus?

An infinite series in calculus is a sum of an infinite sequence of numbers. It is represented in the form of ∑(an) where "a" represents the terms of the sequence and "n" represents the number of terms in the sequence.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one where the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as more terms are added. On the other hand, a divergent series is one where the sum of its terms approaches infinity or does not have a finite sum. In simple terms, a convergent series has a finite sum while a divergent series does not.

3. How do you determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an infinite series is convergent or divergent, we use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, root test, and integral test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the series and comparing it to known convergent or divergent series. If the limit is equal to a convergent series, then the original series is convergent. If the limit is equal to a divergent series, then the original series is divergent.

4. Can an infinite series have both positive and negative terms?

Yes, an infinite series can have both positive and negative terms. The sign of the terms does not affect the convergence or divergence of the series. However, if the series is alternating, where the terms alternate between positive and negative, then there are specific tests that can be used to determine its convergence.

5. What is the purpose of studying infinite series in calculus?

Infinite series are used in calculus to approximate functions and solve problems that cannot be solved using finite sums. They also have important applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. Understanding infinite series allows us to better understand the behavior of functions and their limits, as well as how to manipulate and solve complex equations.