Does the stereotypical nerd or geek really exists?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of stereotypical nerds and geeks who are socially awkward and highly intelligent in fields such as science, mathematics, technology, and engineering. The conversation also touches on the idea that poor social skills do not necessarily determine career success and that these individuals can have successful careers and relationships. Additionally, there is a debate about the definitions of geek and nerd and whether these labels accurately represent individuals. The conversation ends with a discussion about the potential success of these individuals in the tech industry, with some mentioning examples of those who have become very wealthy.
CurseNight102
Do the stereotypical nerds and geeks really exist? I am talking about socially awkward timid loners who are also highly intelligent in Science, Mathematics, Technology, and Engineering.

What happens to them later in real life? Do they really end up as unemployed or menial workers because of their lack of social skills?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of them probably. Some of them are probably making 500k a year working for Google.

Poor social skills are just one of a myriad of factors that determine career success.

Likes 256bits
The social skills needed to make a favorable impression in job interviews are somewhat different from the social skills needed to make a favorable impression on a potential short-term or long-term life partner.

I'm probably a classic nerd myself. I never did well with potential short-term life partners. (Now, that's surely a nerdy way of putting it! :-p ) Nevertheless, I ended up with a career in academia, which is arguably a haven for nerds. And I did eventually have success with a long-term life partner, a fellow academic, approaching 33 years now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes DaveE, Evo, jbriggs444 and 5 others
Office_Shredder said:
Some of them probably. Some of them are probably making 500k a year working for Google.

Poor social skills are just one of a myriad of factors that determine career success.
When I started as a programmer in 1985 there was one other trainee who was so shy that he had to point to food at the canteen, as he was too embarrassed to speak to the women serving!

An ex-girlfriend of mine used to ask: where did all these people find work before computers were invented?

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, symbolipoint, hutchphd and 2 others
CurseNight102 said:
Do they really end up as unemployed or menial workers because of their lack of social skills?
Who really has social skills when they are young?
Actually, I still sometimes wonder if I even have some at my age.

A lot of times its the loudmouth blowhard that gets 'attention' since they don't let anyone else talk.

CurseNight102 said:
Do the stereotypical nerds and geeks really exist? I am talking about socially awkward timid loners who are also highly intelligent in Science, Mathematics, Technology, and Engineering.
Yes, but I'm not sure "timid loner" is part of the stereotype. Nearly all people seek like-minded people to associate with, and needs are no different. Think of the guys on The Big Bang Theory.
What happens to them later in real life? Do they really end up as unemployed or menial workers because of their lack of social skills?
Sometimes they retire from Microsoft as some of the richest people in the world.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc and DaveC426913
CurseNight102 said:

I would have said that a geek likes sci fi/tech science, smarter bookish type
Nerd is more the socially inept and rubbish at sports and with women.

Definitions vary quite a bit.

Both those types exist and like everyone else some of them end up alone and miserable.

CurseNight102 said:
Do the stereotypical nerds and geeks really exist?
Everything you can think of exists in some way or the other. The only question is, whether it is representative. And the answer is no.

Statements like "All <tailor a group of people of your choice> are <insert a property of your choice>." are almost certainly wrong, regardless of what you inserted between the tags. You can find all kind of people in all kind of groups. Prejudices of any kind are comfortable because they avoid thinking and possibly being wrong. But laziness doesn't make them right.

Likes Astronuc, wukunlin, Klystron and 2 others
PeroK said:
When I started as a programmer in 1985 there was one other trainee who was so shy that he had to point to food at the canteen, as he was too embarrassed to speak to the women serving!
I'm reminded of the distinction between introvert nerds and extrovert nerds: the introvert looks down at their shoes when talking to you, the extrovert looks down at your shoes.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, mcastillo356 and 8 others
fresh_42 said:
Everything you can think of exists in some way or the other. The only question is, whether it is representative. And the answer is no.

I think the description of Geek is representative. Its representative of Geeks.

Likes russ_watters
I met a guy in undergrad who I thought at first blush to be a large quiet not very bright jock.
He is now a Harvard professor renowned for his work on symplectic 4 manifolds. I learned a lesson about labels from this friendship.

All stereotypes exist in the mind of the beholder

So yes they exist..

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes wukunlin, DaveE, Klystron and 2 others
CurseNight102 said:

I count myself firmly in that group. Socially inept, terrible fear of rejection. But competence counts for a lot. So one can still get a job. As long as there is subject matter on which one is competent, it is still possible to talk to people at work or at school without fear of rejection. Sometimes, it turns out, one can find a woman who will draw you out, tolerate your weaknesses and who may even find your idiosyncrasies endearing. I ended up marrying one such and have two children.

Strange that she puts up with me. But then, I do make her laugh. 30th anniversary coming up this year.

I am still socially inept. The fear has not gone away. No biggie. I'm functional and happy. We all have challenges to deal with.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes jtbell, DrClaude, pinball1970 and 2 others
pinball1970 said:
I would have said that a geek likes sci fi/tech science, smarter bookish type
Nerd is more the socially inept and rubbish at sports and with women.

and the difference between those is...? :oops:

Eye of the beholder...

• Haha
Likes etotheipi
russ_watters said:
Sometimes they retire from Microsoft as some of the richest people in the world.
Back before the collapse of the Dot-Com bubble in 2000, the value of Microsoft shares increased so much that the stock split two-for-one about every year and a half. As part of their compensation, employees were given stock options. With each stock split, the number of shares held by employees doubled, and the cost to exercise the options halved.
A fairly common occurrence at the time was for MSFT employees to "call in rich."
pinball1970 said:
I think the description of Geek is representative. Its representative of Geeks.
Something that few people realize: The original definition of a geek was a circus performer who performed disgusting acts, such as biting the heads off chickens.
Def. 3 here - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/geek
a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake

• Informative
Likes Klystron, symbolipoint and russ_watters
I think the classic stereotype of the "extreme nerd" (as shown by the characters on the TV sitcom The Big Bang Theory) doesn't really exist, but there certainly exist people with varying degrees of social awkwardness that coincide with interest and/or aptitude for STEM.

Keep in mind that the two above are distinct characteristics -- there are plenty of people (the majority of my fellow classmates and workmates, in fact) who have strong interests in STEM who are not socially awkward at all, and there are many people who are incredibly shy/awkward who have no interest in STEM.

Also worth noting that social awkwardness, as with many other characteristics, falls on a spectrum. Taking myself as an example, I never considered myself to be especially awkward with others, but nor was I a social butterfly either, so I probably fall somewhere in the middle of the "awkwardness" scale, so to speak.

Even professors and scientists in general have a small-talk-mode in which they behave as anybody else (tested). But if they are in nerd-mode, then some principles apply:
  • Does the claim I just heard has any evidence?
  • Do not claim what cannot be proven!
  • Minimal (easiest) answers are sufficient.
All require some thoughts, which results in hesitation, and often brings up strange arguments if the answer to the first question is no, which it always is since general claims are mostly wrong; silence, if there isn't a reliable statement to be made; or far-off answers because of the minimum principle. E.g. I heard a professor ask in an exam: "Can you give an example of a linear map?" and my first thought was: 0. A more complex one? 1. Any of these behaviors may appear 'nerdy' to outsiders, but so does any serious thought!

There is even a politics-mode in which they behave like other politicians (tested).

Likes jbriggs444
StatGuy2000 said:
I think the classic stereotype of the "extreme nerd" (as shown by the characters on the TV sitcom The Big Bang Theory) doesn't really exist, but there certainly exist people with varying degrees of social awkwardness that coincide with interest and/or aptitude for STEM.

Keep in mind that the two above are distinct characteristics -- there are plenty of people (the majority of my fellow classmates and workmates, in fact) who have strong interests in STEM who are not socially awkward at all, and there are many people who are incredibly shy/awkward who have no interest in STEM.

Also worth noting that social awkwardness, as with many other characteristics, falls on a spectrum. Taking myself as an example, I never considered myself to be especially awkward with others, but nor was I a social butterfly either, so I probably fall somewhere in the middle of the "awkwardness" scale, so to speak.

What do you mean by "extreme nerd"?

fresh_42 said:
Statements like "All <tailor a group of people of your choice> are <insert a property of your choice>." are almost certainly wrong, regardless of what you inserted between the tags.

But it doesn't apply to statements in this thread? :wink:

Last edited:
hutchphd said:
I met a guy in undergrad who I thought at first blush to be a large quiet not very bright jock.
He is now a Harvard professor renowned for his work on symplectic 4 manifolds. I learned a lesson about labels from this friendship.

All stereotypes exist in the mind of the beholder

So yes they exist..
I do not think this is about labeling people and jumping to conclusions it is just about a particular type of person.

I identify as a geek. I am interested in details, patterns and techniques and like to read a lot. Especially STEM and music.

My niece has a T-shirt that says "Geeky girl" its a lot cooler than it was.

etotheipi said:
and the difference between those is...? :oops:
The lines are blurred and descriptions on line vary and or indicate they are interchangeable.

I was called a "swot" at school because I read a lot and did well in exams. It was not a compliment, it was meant as an insult. A boring, suck up to teacher swot.
I did not hear the word geek till much later that would have been my label if I was a kid now probably.

Nerd meant something else entirely at school, that was more of the awkward socially inept loner.

As i said the description vary a bit, the one off the net below is nothing to do with that I thought a geek is. Either that is wrong or I have had the wrong description in my head all this time. No mention of STEM, computers or sci finoun

1. 1.
    an unfashionable or socially inept person.

2. 2.
    US
    a performer at a carnival or circus whose show consists of bizarre or grotesque acts.

Likes PeroK
Tom.G said:
But it doesn't apply to statements in this thread? :wink"
I am not the one who posted that.

CurseNight102 said:
What do you mean by "extreme nerd"?

I was thinking of someone like the character Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory (if you've never seen the show, I suggest you search for clips on YouTube).

Another good example of the "extreme nerd" stereotypes are the characters of the 1984 exploitation film Revenge of the Nerds.

StatGuy2000 said:
exploitation
That should be Nerd-sploitation!

StatGuy2000 said:
I was thinking of someone like the character Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory (if you've never seen the show, I suggest you search for clips on YouTube).

Another good example of the "extreme nerd" stereotypes are the characters of the 1984 exploitation film Revenge of the Nerds.
I haven't really watched that show and that movie.

What exactly are the things about those characters that are extremely nerdy?

Mark44 said:
Something that few people realize: The original definition of a geek was a circus performer who performed disgusting acts, such as biting the heads off chickens.
Def. 3 here - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/geek
As in "The ballad of a thin man" by Dylan?

"
You hand in your ticket and you go watch the geek
Who immediately walks up to you when he hears you speak
And says, "How does it feel to be such a freak?"
And you say, "Impossible!" as he hands you a bone
And something is happening here but you don't know what it is
Do you, Mr. Jones?
"

Likes Klystron

1. Does the stereotypical nerd or geek really exist?

Yes, the stereotypical nerd or geek does exist. However, it is important to recognize that the stereotype is often exaggerated and does not accurately represent all individuals who may be considered nerds or geeks.

2. What are the characteristics of a stereotypical nerd or geek?

Some common characteristics of a stereotypical nerd or geek may include a strong interest in science, technology, or other academic subjects, a preference for solitary activities, and a tendency to be socially awkward or introverted. However, it is important to remember that these characteristics do not apply to all individuals who identify as nerds or geeks.

3. Are all nerds or geeks socially awkward?

No, not all nerds or geeks are socially awkward. While some individuals who identify as nerds or geeks may struggle with social interactions, others may be quite socially adept. It is a misconception that all nerds or geeks are introverted or lack social skills.

4. Is there a difference between a nerd and a geek?

While these terms are often used interchangeably, there can be some subtle differences between a nerd and a geek. Generally, a nerd is someone who is highly intellectual and has a strong interest in academic pursuits, while a geek is someone who is passionate about a particular hobby or interest, such as video games or comic books. However, these are not strict definitions and the terms can overlap.

5. Can someone be a nerd or geek without fitting the stereotype?

Yes, absolutely. The stereotype of a nerd or geek is often narrow and does not accurately represent the diverse range of individuals who may identify as such. Someone can be a nerd or geek without possessing all of the stereotypical characteristics, and it is important to recognize and celebrate the diversity within these communities.