Does the Thickness Affect a Semi-Mirror Spherical Lens' Characteristics?

In summary: If it's a simple convex lens, then the thickness doesn't really matter. If it's a more exotic device or if the coating is more complicated, then the thickness might have an effect.In summary, the thickness of a lens does not seem to have an effect on whether or not light is reflected.
Ozen
Hello,

I am trying to get a better understanding of optical lens's and came across a question I have not found an answer to. Say you have a lens made of either Polycarbonate or Trivex, and it is a spherical lens. A coating is applied to the side with the smaller radius to reflect certain light wavelengths. Would there be any effect thickness would play on whether this would work or not? Light is meant to pass right through the lens without distorting, diverging, converging, etc; like how traditional lens do. The sole purpose for the lens is just to reflect that specified wavelength back. For that reason I am led to think that the thickness would not matter. I just wanted to confirm with those who are way more informed in this field than I am if thickness indeed is not relevant.

Thanks for any help!

Science news on Phys.org
Ozen said:
Light is meant to pass right through the lens without distorting, diverging, converging, etc; like how traditional lens do.

I’m confused. Since when does light pass right through a traditional lens without distorting, converging, or diverging the light? That is literally the definition of a lens. If it doesn’t diverge or converge the light we call it a window. Are you talking about a flat plate like a window?

Cutter Ketch said:
I’m confused. Since when does light pass right through a traditional lens without distorting, converging, or diverging the light? That is literally the definition of a lens. If it doesn’t diverge or converge the light we call it a window. Are you talking about a flat plate like a window?

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure what the correct term for the lens/window I am describing is. The optic in question is shaped like "(". My question involves the thickness of it. In the application that spawned this question, to my knowledge, the light remains unaffected by the optic. The particular application is a reflex sight for rifles. My college classes mostly focused on "()" and "l(" style optics, which I know redirect light. We only discussed spherical lenses as mirrors. But what I'm curious about is it being only partially a mirror. Hopefully this clarifies my question a bit.

That shape is usually called a meniscus lens. If the two surfaces are concentric, then the shape doesn’t diverge or converge light. In most cases that isn’t called a lens but a dome.

Now, I say a dome doesn’t converge the light, but that isn’t quite right. A dome does perturb the light particularly while the light is inside the material, and the thickness definitely matters.

Your question about the mirror surface doesn’t have a simple answer. If the coating is a dielectric stack, then the most important thing is the angle at which rays reach the coated surface. A ray entering the larger radius surface at some angle will refract, but not all the way to perpendicular. If you continue tracing the ray inside the material you’ll see that the angle that the ray hits the inner surface depends on the thickness of the dome. It is certainly possible to construct a situation where the mirror coating gives different behaviors for different dome thicknesses. On the other hand, if the incident angles aren’t too steep it is possible to construct a dome where the thickness isn’t too important over a range.

Ozen said:
Summary:: Does the thickness of a semi-mirrored spherical lens have any effect on it? The semi-mirror reflects only a select range of wavelengths while it is still let's wavelengths pass through it.

Hello,

I am trying to get a better understanding of optical lens's and came across a question I have not found an answer to. Say you have a lens made of either Polycarbonate or Trivex, and it is a spherical lens. A coating is applied to the side with the smaller radius to reflect certain light wavelengths. Would there be any effect thickness would play on whether this would work or not? Light is meant to pass right through the lens without distorting, diverging, converging, etc; like how traditional lens do. The sole purpose for the lens is just to reflect that specified wavelength back. For that reason I am led to think that the thickness would not matter. I just wanted to confirm with those who are way more informed in this field than I am if thickness indeed is not relevant.

Thanks for any help!

It sounds like you are describing a lens with a dichroic coating applied to one (curved) surface. Dichroic coatings are typically multilayer thin films and their spectral reflectance/transmission qualities generally vary with incident angle. One a curved surface then, the spectral reflectance of your coating will vary.

More exotic devices like 'grisms' and grating lenses have been developed, but I've never used them.

https://wasatchphotonics.com/technologies/grisms-uses-advantages/
https://www.osapublishing.org/ao/fulltext.cfm?uri=ao-54-22-6666&id=322997
https://www.osapublishing.org/view_...q=0&mobile=no&org=Cleveland State University

Ozen said:
reflex sight for rifles
Do you mean like a reflective "red dot" sight?

https://www.burrisoptics.com/blog/sights/how-a-red-dot-sight-works

1582227387748.png

There is a good Wikipedia article about them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflector_sight

1582227426102.png

1. How does the thickness of a semi-mirror spherical lens affect its focal length?

The thickness of a semi-mirror spherical lens does not directly affect its focal length. The focal length is primarily determined by the curvature of the lens surface, not its thickness. However, a thicker lens may have a slightly longer focal length due to the increased distance between the two surfaces.

2. Does a thicker semi-mirror spherical lens have better optical performance?

The thickness of a semi-mirror spherical lens does not necessarily determine its optical performance. Other factors such as the quality of the materials and the precision of the manufacturing process have a greater impact on the lens' performance.

3. Can the thickness of a semi-mirror spherical lens affect its durability?

In general, a thicker lens may be more durable due to its increased thickness and weight. However, the durability of a lens also depends on the quality of the materials and the manufacturing process. A thicker lens made with low-quality materials may not be more durable than a thinner lens made with high-quality materials.

4. Is there an optimal thickness for a semi-mirror spherical lens?

There is no one optimal thickness for a semi-mirror spherical lens as it depends on the specific application and design of the lens. In some cases, a thinner lens may be preferred for its lighter weight and smaller size, while in other cases a thicker lens may be necessary for its increased durability and optical performance.

5. Can the thickness of a semi-mirror spherical lens affect its compatibility with different wavelengths of light?

The thickness of a semi-mirror spherical lens does not directly affect its compatibility with different wavelengths of light. However, the material and coatings used in the lens may affect its ability to transmit certain wavelengths. In general, a thicker lens may have a higher chance of being compatible with a wider range of wavelengths due to its increased thickness and potential for multiple coatings.