Does the world need more teachers?

I'm sorry. My statement was meant to convey the idea that even someone as knowledgeable as Aristotle was still constantly seeking to learn and expand his understanding. I did not mean to imply that he knew everything in the world, as that would be impossible for anyone. My apologies for any confusion.In summary, education is a lifelong goal driven by important human traits such as curiosity, hope, and the desire for eudaimonia. However, the practice of educating oneself has become increasingly difficult to satisfy due to the market corruption in education. The rise of the internet has made it easier to access information, but there is a lack of guidance in one's educational goals. In addition, there is a need for more good teachers who value the importance of
I think I might have made a mistake about college producing (as if some conspiracy) consumers rather than producers.

The issue seems to be that college is not making the fact clear enough that the end goal of education should be the constructive use of the investment in human capital, from college to the individual, through work or entrepreneurship or some business-related activity. You see this concept better developed in colleges with adequate funding; but, not so much in lower-tier colleges, to the best of my knowledge.

Science news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
I'd have to counter by saying that college isn't free anywhere -- somebody has to pay for it. And in places where college is free, "government" doesn't pay for college -- taxpayers do.
Posy McPostface said:
Speaking specifically about the US, but, it seems that the best public utility good that can be attained is by the investment in human capital.
"Investing in human capital" by the government sounds harmless, but it ignores the fact that it is taxpayers footing the bill. If I'm a middle-class salesman working at a department store, and just barely getting by, I'm not sure that I want to be paying for some slacker in college who is studying the history of Renaissance reed instruments.

Mark44 said:
An important upside of having students pay for their own educations is that it becomes more expensive for them to become "professional students," spending many years at college, dabbling in this and that.
Posy McPostface said:
Well, then it would seem you are advocating a shortage in supply to fill in the demand for such jobs, thus giving you higher wages (something you would want for paying a premium to ear more). In the case of the US, there seems to be a lot of talk about 'useless' degrees... So, there isn't demand for those degrees, stated otherwise.
No, I am not advocating limiting the supply to drive up wages. I'm saying that if students have to pay their own way, or at least a larger share of it, they will be motivated by and large to work toward a degree that gives them a marketable skill. I am also advocating letting market forces react to job shortages. At the college where I'm currently employed (as a part-timer - by my choice), we don't have any problem filling our computer science and engineering classes. At the college where I worked before switching careers to software, the nursing and dental hygienist programs had no problems getting students, nor did the automotive technology courses.

Mark44 said:
Are you making the argument that workers aren't producing anything?
Posy McPostface said:
No, not really. Even consuming requires some level of producing something of value to sustain that consumption. My point is that education should either want from students to become producers instead of consumers. Meaning, to start your own business and apply your knowledge or otherwise to stay in college for as long you can and then apply what knowledge you have gained into some useful product.
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Your categorization of college graduates as consumers or producers isn't a helpful one, especially in that there are just about zero colleges whose mission statement is "We turn out consumers." Colleges traditionally haven't had a focus of turning out graduates who were what you're calling "producers," as such a curriculum would necessarily include study in both business administration and engineering. To be an entrepeneur, you need the technical skills required to make something that people want to buy, as well as sufficient knowledge of business to be able to start a company and keep the business going.

Likes Bystander
Mark44 said:
To be an entrepeneur, you need the technical skills required to make something that people want to buy, as well as sufficient knowledge of business to be able to start a company and keep the business going.
Actually, you don't need any technical skills to make anything, nor do you need specific knowledge of your product. The simple fact is that all you need is the charisma and financial backing to hire people who do, (and who are willing to be lead by someone who is clueless,) for a sum of money that satisfies their need/greed. However, if you do happen to have the technical skills and/or knowledge particular to your product or service, your chances of long term success are much higher.

Another crucial ingredient of charisma. With charisma, you can talk investors out of their money, and skilled, intelligent people into "the fold".

So sadly, all it really takes is deep pockets, a silver tongue and a bit of luck to become a millionaire these days. I know a couple of millionaires who can't even balance a checkbook, or order production materials for their companies, but are enjoying a reasonable level of success, because they had some cash to start with, saw an opportunity, and made a lesser partner out of poor slobs who know which end of the pencil to hold, and do 99 percent of the work. If either of those "self made millionaires" were to lose their lesser partner, their business would fold like a cheap suit. The thing is, the "brains" are making way more than they would, drawing a salary anywhere else, so they will probably stay for life.

Let's face it, the pretty and smooth talking people will always find a way to bypass their ignorance and/or stupidity, riding on the shoulders of someone they can manipulate, or exploit. It's been that way forever, and probably will be that way forever.

Other than this small detail, I tend to agree with most of what you have had to say here.

Blank_Stare said:
Let's face it, the pretty and smooth talking people will always find a way to bypass their ignorance and/or stupidity, riding on the shoulders of someone they can manipulate, or exploit. It's been that way forever, and probably will be that way forever.

I would bet that the vast majority of these people fail miserably at attempting to manipulate and exploit others and that only a very small number actually succeed in any major way. For every one that succeeds, there are likely hundreds or thousands who do not. This is similar to the number of people who drop out of college to start their own business. Most fail. A few succeed.

Mark44 said:
"Investing in human capital" by the government sounds harmless, but it ignores the fact that it is taxpayers footing the bill. If I'm a middle-class salesman working at a department store, and just barely getting by, I'm not sure that I want to be paying for some slacker in college who is studying the history of Renaissance reed instruments.

While, there might as well be some people opposed to paying taxes for education, as I mentioned earlier, it is the best of all possible investments to make in terms of a future return on that investment, through various methods. If someone has an objection to paying taxes in principle or otherwise any taxes at all, then that seems to be a separate issue at hand.

This is my whole point in posting this thread, namely that the best investment is one in education, and the rest of what I have said is quibble.

Posy McPostface said:
While, there might as well be some people opposed to paying taxes for education, as I mentioned earlier, it is the best of all possible investments to make in terms of a future return on that investment, through various methods. If someone has an objection to paying taxes in principle or otherwise any taxes at all, then that seems to be a separate issue at hand.
No, I don't object to paying taxes to support education. My point is that (college) students should bear at least a portion of the costs of their education -- have skin in the game, in other words -- as they will be the direct beneficiaries of that education.

Likes Blank_Stare and Bystander
Drakkith said:
Most fail. A few succeed.
By definition, "most" is anything over 50% - so I can not say you are completely wrong. However, I think the real numbers would surprise you.

If I remember correctly, 9 out of 10 of all new businesses fail in the first ten years. Then again, it's been 20 years since I studied that statistics, so it could better or worse in the current economy. Still, this high rate of ultimate failure effectively provides camouflage to the people I am describing - after all, people pretty much expect a new business owner to eventually fail, regardless of personal expertise.

Also, the people who we are talking about don't just "give up", and go away, when they fail. Once they have tasted a fat salary, with minimal work or knowledge on their part, they just keep going back to the well, for another go. A large percentage of them simply find new... well, "suckers" to work for them, and for investment capital. Often, they break laws, and end up with all expenses paid vacations that last 3 to 5 years, but the fact that they keep repeating the scenario, means that sure, they fail a lot, but that failure doesn't necessarily take them out of the equation, it simply moves them down the street to a different address, in a different industry, or different part of the same industry, where they can pit their charisma against a new pool of individuals.

Sadly, there is a huge number of incompetent, yet moderately successful business owners out there, whose only saving grace is the fact that they have a gift for talking people into doing what they want them to. I wish I could provide numbers for you, but all I have is anecdotal observations.

Not all business owners are idiots, and certainly not even the ones that fail are all idiots, and also, certainly, the numbers of those idiots when you get to huge corporations is small, because the system weeds them out. But when a corporate officer roster reads like a cult of personality - stand back, and watch for the fireworks.

Last edited:
Sorry Blank_Stare, I still disagree.

Drakkith said:
Sorry Blank_Stare, I still disagree.
Hey, that's cool. I never mind a dissenting opinion, when it is offered civilly.

I am also willing to believe that confirmation bias may effect either, or both of our opinions. I've seen a lot of people who were not qualified to do the work they were assigned, or that they assigned others to do, and took credit for. It sounds like you have not. It's a classic case of YMMV.

On another note...

Mark44 raises an interesting concept, namely, making the students "have some skin in the game". It seems to me that there's some truth to the concept, but I can't imagine any way to force the issue. Those with wealth will always have a better chance at a free ride, and those without will either have skin in the game, or not even be in the game, unless/until, college expenses are free to everyone. So while I like the idea of somehow requiring that there be some, (albeit small) personal stake, I just don't see how to make that a universal requirement.

Do you have some idea, Mark44, of how to make that happen? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Blank_Stare said:
I am also willing to believe that confirmation bias may effect either, or both of our opinions.

Absolutely.

Blank_Stare said:
I've seen a lot of people who were not qualified to do the work they were assigned, or that they assigned others to do, and took credit for. It sounds like you have not.

Perhaps I just haven't encountered as many of them as you have. *shrug*

Borek said:
Sadly, people don't use access to the information to learn, but to confirm their prejudices. Think anti-vaccination movement.
And/or to find the name of their favorite artist: actor/singer, etc. Do a search for any name ; when you enter a first name, Google will most likely suggest the last name of an artist. Similar for searches of any sort. EDIT: Re reinforcing prejudices, you have Google contributing to that: it tracks your search history and gives you results that somehow " best fit" your previous searches. It then keeps you in a small neighborhood of your experience set, of your previous searches.

Disclaimer: I am in a US high school

I think we need better teachers considering some of mine know very little even about there own subjects. Often I find in engineering I know more than my teacher which is really bad considering if you have seen my posts you know, that I know very little. Often if I have a question or disagree with a teacher they don't appear to be capable of defending their opinion except in English, since that is my weakest subject

Stephenk53 said:
Often I find in engineering I know more than my teacher which is really bad considering if you have seen my posts you know, that I know very little. Often if I have a question or disagree with a teacher they don't appear to be capable of defending their opinion except in English, since that is my weakest subject

I think it's far more likely that they know exactly what they're talking about, they just can't always explain it well to confused students. Teaching is MUCH harder than most people realize and takes skills that most people don't even know exist. The ability to take in what a student is asking, process it to figure out what exactly their asking and how it's related to a topic, and then develop an answer that is both correct and presented in a way that the student will understand, all on the fly without being able to sit down and spend some time working through it, is incredibly difficult.

That's not to say that they're always right, only that it's extremely unlikely that you know more than your teacher does. Even if they're a bad teacher, they almost certainly know far more about the subject than you.

Likes jasonRF, symbolipoint and Dr.D
Drakkith said:
I think it's far more likely that they know exactly what they're talking about, they just can't always explain it well to confused students. Teaching is MUCH harder than most people realize and takes skills that most people don't even know exist. The ability to take in what a student is asking, process it to figure out what exactly their asking and how it's related to a topic, and then develop an answer that is both correct and presented in a way that the student will understand, all on the fly without being able to sit down and spend some time working through it, is incredibly difficult.

That's not to say that they're always right, only that it's extremely unlikely that you know more than your teacher does. Even if they're a bad teacher, they almost certainly know far more about the subject than you.
That makes sense, come to think of it a few of them (primarily the ones who have trouble defending their opinion/fact) tend to be lazier or not have a minor or major in their field, aside from education.

For clarification I mean someone might have a major in education in minored in say science but the teach English instead

Stephenk53 said:
For clarification I mean someone might have a major in education in minored in say science but the teach English instead

Now that's an interesting point. I can easily believe that someone who hasn't focused on science and engineering could be lacking in their knowledge of the subject. It's still difficult to believe that any of the students know more than the teacher, but it would certainly mean that explaining things and answering questions might be more difficult for them.

Stephenk53 said:
Qualifications, eligibility, and who is hired to do what, become confusing. A school will not always have enough time to hire the properly qualified person to teach something. Time crunches happen, normal staff not fully available, and a school NEEDS someone for a class WITHIN TWO HOURS (like for a substitute); and then almost ANY teacher on a list may be asked. For some longer term jobs to teach, a school might have had difficulty finding a properly qualified and interested teacher candidate, so may need to be flexible enough to find someone either less ideal, or just SLIGHTLY unqualified. Consider, almost any science-degreed person can teach basic algebra, even intermediate algebra, but outside of those, such a person might not be prepared enough for something like Trigonometry or first semester Calculus.

If we've got a teacher shortage when the school population is 800,000 less than it will be at its peak, then you will not get a world-class education for every child when the population really starts to grow towards the end of this decade.When there are more jobs around for graduates – and fewer jobs making people redundant – it's going to be more difficult.

It' s a better topic I think we need better teachers considering some of mine know very little even about there own subjects.Teachers are definitely a breed apart. True we are made, and not created, but it seems like you can always tell a good teacher when you see one, even if you don’t see them teach. I ran into an old student of mine at the car wash earlier that day. She shared with me her desire to teach.

Yes, I agree with this statement because Teachers are definitely a breed apart. True we are made, and not created, but it seems like you can always tell a good teacher when you see one, even if you don’t see them teach.Her personality is inviting, she seems naturally kind and patient, she doesn’t judge but instead shares a warm smile. She will be a great teacher regardless of subject matter or grade level. I could see that in her, just like my friends could see it in me. And education is a lifelong process for everyone. So I think world absolutely needs more teacher's.

I think we need better teachers.
You can search on the internet about programs and ask anyone about problems.
But there is no challenge, no example and no actual conversation.
Sometimes we all see the same solution to the problem because people just mimic the answer. Teachers sometimes make solution in a more easy way.
Sometimes it's better if you have competition in the class.